Default 7.62x25 with .312 Bullet, COL?

Using Lee's Steel 7.62x25 TOK die set, the sizing was fine but the expander die expands to .306 making it hard to load a .312 bullet.
    I used the RCBS 7.62x54r sizer die with the optional .319 expander ball to expand the mouth of the case. It worked great, the Hornady 32Cal .312 85gr XTP slid right in and the neck size is in spec. and chambered fine.

I cant find data on what to set the COL at???

Problem is when using the Lee Factory Crimp die. Not knowing the COL I just tried a couple depths and if I set the depth at the cannelure the FCD would push in the bullet. IF I set the bullet out more the FCD would push the bullet out.

Has anyone got the FCD to work with oversized bullets?

Your oversize bullet is getting caught in the die collet before it is closing to make the crimp, right?

I am not sure how to make this work for you... Why not use .308" bullets?
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

You need to slug your bore, 7.62 is not always .311/.312 sometimes it is .308 or .314 or .307
    This post has been edited , vetted, and archived by the NSA.

My TT33 and M75 is both slugged at .312. My PPS43 is .314.

Quote Originally Posted by landtoy80 View Post
    My TT33 and M75 is both slugged at .312. My PPS43 is .314.
    Either don't use the FCD (I have not yet ever needed one), or you'll have to have a custom size one made up.

You do realize that by the time you run those cases with .312" bullets thru that FCD, you no longer have .312" bullets, right?

What is published OAL for 7.62x25? I am not at my bench to dig thru my loading data...... That OAL is the tested OAL's. Maximum OAL is pubvlished for the cartridge I am sure.
    If it just barely fits in the magazine, it's probably real close to maximum OAL.
    If it fits, and feeds, and the bullet isn't jammed into the rifling (been there with a Truncated Cone 9mmP in my Star B Super), then the OAL is acceptable to the gun, nothing else matters.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

Lee said that if I want to use the FCD with oversize bullet in the 7.62x25 caliber I need a custom made collet and for the expander I need a custom collet made for that too. They said they are not taking custom orders till spring.

Any ideas on how to crimp the oversize bullet?

They also said that the FCD should work with oversize bullets in the 7.62x54r.

Lee said that if I want to use the FCD with oversize bullet in the 7.62x25 caliber I need a custom made collet and for the expander I need a custom collet made for that too. They said they are not taking custom orders till spring.

Any ideas on how to crimp the oversize bullet?

They also said that the FCD should work with oversize bullets in the 7.62x54r.
    You ALSO have to have an oversized resizing ring which is around the opening of all their HANDGUN-cartridge FCD's.

Rifle FCD's are crimp collet only, no "last step resize your entire loaded cartridge bullet included" ring (because the brass case will not compress thinner).

Why exactly is it your 7.62x25mm dies are unsuitable to crimp with?

If you are one of the people who is of the opinion that the FCD is the only way to crimp that is worth doing, then you are likely waiting until spring.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

Haven't tried crimping with the regular Lee die yet. Will it crimp oversize bullets?

I just started loading x25. I wanted to use 223/5.56 brass to make x25 brass but lacking reamer and turning tool I decided to see if my S&B and Wolf brass would chambers the larger bullet but ran into the FCD problem.

Haven't tried crimping with the regular Lee die yet. Will it crimp oversize bullets?

I just started loading x25. I wanted to use 223/5.56 brass to make x25 brass but lacking reamer and turning tool I decided to see if my S&B and Wolf brass would chambers the larger bullet but ran into the FCD problem.
    Well, considering the die itself is large enough to accept the case flare (which is always slightly wider than any bullet you put INSIDE that case flare, then the taper crimp section presses that flare away and into the side of the bullet slightly, the normal die should do just fine when properly adjusted.

The only "question" is will the resulting mouth diameter be accepted by the gun barrel with a bullet of 4-thousandths oversize, and then add in the unknown wall thickness you are having trying to use cut-down rifle brass. Most handgun brass is 10-thou thick at the case mouth and the length that normally holds bullets.
    How much thicker than .010" is your cutoff .223 brass?????
    Then do math, .314" + double the brass thickness (.015"=.030" total) = an OD of ????? .334" I think is the correct mouth/neck diameter........

Since it's a bottlenecked case (I just looked), you don't have the "post-resize" function of the straight-walled FCD.

The original military bullets I have a .307 diameter. I was going to load them in a 30 cargine case, but they are to small to grip the case wall. I believe .312 is much to large to be used safely.

I tried some lightweight HP .312" bullets in 7.62x25 reloads....no problem with the Lee FCD, but the rounds wold not chamber in some of my pistols.

The .308" pistol bullets are what this round need no matter what your bore slugs.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

My PPS43 bore is .314 (M91/30 barrel). Was hoping to see how an oversize bullet would work in that.

My math is: To get to .333 neck size I need to trim the neck to about .010 (.010 + .010 + .312 = .332).