Gunboards Forums banner

Czech surplus low-recoil ammunition - any opinions?

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Rick the Librarian2 
#1 ·
I ordered 324 rounds of the Czech low-recoil 46-grain ammunition from SGA. Supposedly quite a bit less recoil than the standard 7.62R ammunition. Anyone have any experience with it, good, bad or ugly?

#3 ·
I love it and would buy more if available cheap. I bought several cases when it was about 10 cents a round. You can shoot Mosins all day without soreness and good for kids/women to try out Mosins. Accuracy is good close 25-50 yards, but degrades at 100 yards.

#6 ·
Yup, I must have bought 5 or 6 cases of that stuff when it was a nickel or less a round and had kids shoot up most of it and gave a bunch (2 cases IIRC) to a member here when he was looking for some for his kids and Scouts. Gosh, thats' been 6-7 years ago (I think). It's a blast to shoot at close range and you can do it all day and not get beat up.

#7 ·
I bought a couple of tins a few years back. It has a loud bang and shoots pretty straight to about 75 yards with little recoil -good for kids, first time shooters and test firing "new" Mosins by way of seeing if they shoot safely first time out. It is very sooty ammo, so get ready to really clean. It doesn't cycle well in all my rifles.
I'd say get some for rare rifles if you are worried you'll break the stock or do damage -you could shoot all day without worry. Also, fun in hard kicking M38s, M44s and 91/59s if you have somebody who hates recoil.

#9 ·
Like it,Its very loud,Very dirty,works in my SVT 40 most of the time.Dont have to worry as much about overpenetration or hitting something a mile or two away.I think its good to practice with.Saves the Shoulder when suffering thru shooting a M-44 or 38

#10 ·
Just a blunt reminder to all, this ammo will kill you just as dead as any other surplus ammo. Same goes for the German plastic 7.62x51.

#13 ·
This ammo is great fun. Still has the report and the fireball out of carbines. Could not get it to feed correctly in my old SVT-40, but the ammo did cycle it.

I bought 2 cans of the loose ones about half a year ago, when the price has already been raised. I'm down to just 1 can now and I try to avoid shooting it unless I want to do some rapid fire. I actually have been thinking of selling the rest though, since I can now just shoot other calibers if I want less recoil.

If it ever get cheap again, at least the same price as light ball, I'll probably stock pile it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.