Default Turkified 1888 Commision rifle bayonet?

Hello all, I got this at the SAR show. I'm not so sharp on bayonets, but this was listed as a "Turkish 1917 ersatz," so for $20 I'd take the chance that it was from WWI or right after.

I took it to a fellow who had his own Turkish ersatz bayonet on his table, and informed me this was a modified 1888 Commission Rifle bayonet for the later 1935 Turkish Mausers. I was kind of bummed to hear this, but $20 was worth no regrets.

You can see the muzzle ring looks crudely altered, there is some damage at the scabbard tip, and the only mark anywhere is "F."

Maybe this could fit a M1891 rifle?

So what do you all think of it? Now I need the rifle to match...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7586.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	299.5 KB 
ID:	610727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7584.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	610728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7585.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	610729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7587.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	610730

What you have is a Turk modified German ersatz bayonet. When originally manufactured most German ersatz bayonets would easily fit the following standard German Rifles:

Gew71
    Gew71/84
    Gew88
    Gew98
    Kar98a

They could also be fitted to captured then modified Russian M91, French Lebel and Berthier rifles and others if they were modified to receive the German bayonets.

Most ersatz bayonets had an ingenious, bifurcated muzzle ring open at the top that allowed them to fit so many rifles. Yours with the Turk modified ring will fit the pre-War Turk Mausers and will no ,longer fit any of the German standard issue rifles. That being said, the price was good.

Thank you very much. Now when you say it fits a pre-War Turk do you mean a pre-WWI or pre-WWII?

What you have is an "Export" style muzzle ring..

its all Turk..Made and fitted..it will fit all the M38 style refurbs and the K.Kale rifles..refurbed 1903, 1893 Gew 98..even the 88 commision rifle if its been rebarreled with no shroud

If your turk has this front band "export style" it will fit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1903 Turk Matching 025.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	610744

I love these as you can find all kinds of rare ersatz bayonets..yes they are cutdown and modified..but..they are a hundred $$s less and many will still have some original markings..anywhoo there are many many styles of ersatz

Sorry, I meant pre-WW1, the M1903 and it's predecessors. As I said above, it is a Turk-modified German bayonet to fit what painterjohn is calling the export style front band (good description PJ) with bayonet lug - it will no longer fit the German Gew98 style bayonet lug that lies just under the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by hairygreek View Post
    Thanks again guys... now do you know when the Turks did the conversion?
    Probably around 1935. That's when they were discarding the barrel shroud and changing the bayonet lug on the G88 rifles.

Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    Probably around 1935. That's when they were discarding the barrel shroud and changing the bayonet lug on the G88 rifles.

Regards,
    Bill

The early to mid-1930s is correct.