Question help find manufacture date Savage 720 s/n 42,994

As the title says - anyone with serial number knowledge on Savage 720 shotguns?

I did plenty of surfing the web. Have a general idea. However, nobody seems to be able to provide much specific data on these. We know that Savage 720's were built from about 1930-1949. Also, folks with WWII marked 720's seem to be in the 60,000+ range.

Mine is 26" vent rib Polychoke barrel, nice blue, nice condition, s/n 42,994.

Savage 720 guys, chime on in when you can!

Thanks.
    Adam
    Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.
    Who's bringing the chips?

They were made 1930 - 49. WWII riot/military gun serials were supposedly 69,000 to 90,000, so anything lower is pre 1939 (start of military buildup) and anything higher 1946 on. Otherwise Savage seems to have not kept manufacturing records.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Did the Savage historian I referred you to not work out?

Mr. John T. Callahan, Savage Arms Historian
    53 Old Quarry Road
    Westfield, MA 01085

Quote Originally Posted by sovblocgunfan View Post
    Did the Savage historian I referred you to not work out?

Mr. John T. Callahan, Savage Arms Historian
    53 Old Quarry Road
    Westfield, MA 01085
    Thanks. I do have Mr. Callahan's contact info that you mentioned in my other post about Savage shotguns, but I am not going to give up just yet. At some point, I will probably pay the research fee to have Mr. Callahan interpret my Model 720's serial number.

What I'm really trying to do is eventually meet some online gun hobbyists who have similar interests in Savage pre-war shotguns. I could learn much more from the folks like myself who enjoy these relics, and like the Kar98k and P08 collectors look to "shared data" from a group.

Not saying I won't pursue Mr. Callahan's resources for Savage historical data; I just want to first establish a conversation with guys who collect and shoot these smoke poles.

That being said, I greatly appreciate your reminder of this gentleman's contact information. He will be getting a serial number research request from me in the near future.

Thanks
    Adam
    Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.
    Who's bringing the chips?

The listing on Savage S/N's I have has no model 720, but 721 was 1930-32, 12,000 made, so unless it was known by some other designation, my Savage/Stevens production data has no record.

721 may have been for export or something, but 720s are as common as dirt here-they are Remington model 11 clones. Some have no serial numbers, and some do. Here is mine, without serial number, taken with a poor camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	224234_1337414291413_2115753_n.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	611805