Gunboards Forums banner

The day of the home-made Glock frame is upon us.

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  nitrohuck 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Someone tried.... the frame made 6 rounds before self-disassembly occured......... As usual, the hype /reality mismatch is severe..........

#10 ·
The self-disassembly probably started on round 1. There's lots of materials limitations on 3-D printers and mostly they are just useful for scaring the non-gun cognizant news media and public into thinking every geek will be churning out machine guns. Already been on CSI, except they had enough sense, barely, to make it a single shot throwaway.

#3 ·
I'm old enough not to discount how quickly materials can advance when there is a need to be filled.

#5 ·
As I recall, many poo pooed the idea of a plastic frame - now how many of them are there? It's just a matter of time before solutions are found, and this becomes a reliable manufacturing method.

#9 ·
We'll see how well those hold up under a few thousand rounds.

For 98% of owners (who won't shoot it NEARLY that much), it might be fine.

#11 ·
Couple of yrs ago the son of a gunsmith manufactured a slide for the 1911 in 30.30, not satisfied with the power of the round chambered it for 308, went to the range and fired the pistol...the slide went cleanly through his head , an extreme case of how daring can bubba be-

#13 ·
Remember the story of the .45 Liberator of WW II...it only had to fire ONE shot to be able to disarm and Enemy soldier and take/use his (Steel) Gun...admittedly, the Liberator was made of steel, and could (slowly) fire well over 100 shots before loosening up...

With a Plastic Gun ( even one of the better, high strenght plastics) it would still only need ONE well placed shot to acquire a "real" (read metallic) Gun for further use.

Just like the Eritrean rebels using electrical tape and a 7,62x39 cartridge in a Vetterli-Vitali 10,4mm Rifle, to acquire an AK etc. During their Liberation war...all it needs is one well placed bullet

SunTzu: "Let the enemy be your quartermaster"...also adopted by Mao Ze Dong ( Mao Tse-Tung) in his seminal "Guerilla Warfare"

Regards,
DocAV

#16 ·
Not so. It is perfectly legal to manufacture a firearm for your personal use. Doesn't even need a serial number.

FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS
REFERENCE GUIDE

P. 175

(A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone
from making a handgun, shotgun
or rifle?
With certain exceptions a firearm
may be made by a nonlicensee provided
it is not for sale and the maker
is not prohibited from possessing
firearms. However, a person is prohibited
from assembling a nonsporting
semi-automatic rifle or nonsporting
shotgun from imported parts*. In addition,
the making of an NFA firearm
requires a tax payment and approval
by ATF. An application to make a
machinegun will not be approved
unless documentation is submitted
showing that the firearm is being
made for a Federal or State agency.
[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C.
5822, 27 CFR

* All you need are enough domestic parts - see 922r - commonly done with AKs

#20 ·
In Vermont we are prohibited from making "zip guns" which qualify as any firearm not made by a licensed manufacturer if I am correct... you could make a tube that slap shoots a .22 or you could make a perfect AR-15 reconstruction, but if I am correct both are illegal... that is wild, you are federally allowed to make your own?
§ 4013. Zip guns; switchblade knives
A person who possesses, sells or offers for sale a weapon commonly known as a "zip" gun, or a weapon commonly known as a switchblade knife, the blade of which is three inches or more in length, shall be imprisoned not more than 90 days or fined not more than $100.00, or both. (1959, No. 151, eff. May 5, 1959; amended 1981, No. 223 (Adj. Sess.), § 23.)

The common definition is: "a crude homemade single-shot pistol", Mirriam-Webster

So if its neither crude or single shot you are home free. Given the small fine the state will fold and my best guess is that this law was written to keep kids from making zip guns in shop class 50 + years ago.

BTW there are a number of successful AR lowers made in plastic, but the molded plastics used are stronger than those in a 3-D printer and the best are composites with fiberglass or graphite. So far prejudice against plastic and fear of failures has kept them limited despite the usually lower cost and lower weight.

#22 ·
§ 4013. Zip guns; switchblade knives
A person who possesses, sells or offers for sale a weapon commonly known as a "zip" gun, or a weapon commonly known as a switchblade knife, the blade of which is three inches or more in length, shall be imprisoned not more than 90 days or fined not more than $100.00, or both. (1959, No. 151, eff. May 5, 1959; amended 1981, No. 223 (Adj. Sess.), § 23.)

The common definition is: "a crude homemade single-shot pistol", Mirriam-Webster

So if its neither crude or single shot you are home free. Given the small fine the state will fold and my best guess is that this law was written to keep kids from making zip guns in shop class 50 + years ago.

BTW there are a number of successful AR lowers made in plastic, but the molded plastics used are stronger than those in a 3-D printer and the best are composites with fiberglass or graphite. So far prejudice against plastic and fear of failures has kept them limited despite the usually lower cost and lower weight.

Ahhhha thanks for clearing that up. And yeah, you are probably right that it was meant to keep kids from making zip guns in shop class back in the 50's haha,

So is what this guy did illegal if AR lowers are ATF regulated? He said he applied for one and was still waiting in the article

#15 ·
Plastics WILL come around to be this strong, someday, some how, it will happen...

Until then, people can still use 3d printers to cut alloys no? Someone could craft up a metal receiver just the same, all the printer needs is the proper cutting tools

A whole new can of worms will be opened... not yet, but it will happen

#21 ·
This reminds me of a science fiction story from - i don;t recall exactly when, but i think the 1950s, seems like I read it before i started college. Essentially, the inhabitants of Earth had to come up with a way to duplicate alien technology or bad things would happen (or maybe good ones wouldnlt - been a long time). in any case, they managed to develop a way to construct things using what the writer called (if memory serves) molecular spray, which would be a very sophisticated version of the 2D printer, with better (well, complete) control of what was laid down, etc..

This strikes me as the first, crude, steps on the way to that sort of thing - which I suspect we will see, though probably not in my lifetime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.