Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Herter's 7.62x54R ID

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    739

    Default Herter's 7.62x54R ID

    Who makes Cablea's Herter's 148gr X54R ammo and what is the diameter? I shot a box but my son threw the cases away so I don't have the headstamp number. Its made in Russia per Cableas website.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The boonies of Southern NH
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    I believe "Herters" is currently made by Wolf. If it's brass cased, it's Privi.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Grey steel cases.

    The 223 and 7.62x39 :
    This great-shooting ammo is Russian-made by a firm with over 125 years of experience.

    7.62x54r:
    Loaded by Russia’s premier ammunition maker to precise C.I.P. standards,

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruffel View Post
    I believe "Herters" is currently made by Wolf. If it's brass cased, it's Privi.
    Is "Wolf" all made by the same Russian plant? There are a few and all willing to do contract runs for market organizations like Wolf.

    Wolf has a problem with their special headstamp showing up on Herters, Tulammo, and Uly packaged ammo. They can't seem to get their contractors in Russia to keep their head stamped brass separate. See the Wolf site.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Frozen North
    Posts
    8,478

    Default

    Wolf is a 'brand' used to market european ammo to the US
    they sell RWS and Eley rimfire
    Privi or who ever is selling cheap,
    and excess capacity russian production ammo.

    From lot to lot, they vary.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by landtoy80 View Post
    Grey steel cases.

    The 223 and 7.62x39 :
    This great-shooting ammo is Russian-made by a firm with over 125 years of experience.,
    the x39 Herter's I just got says "tulammo" on the headstamp.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    tulammo and wofl are MARKETING companies, not MANUFACTURING companies...
    i believe current herters ammo falls in to the same field..i have no idea who makes it...

    mike in co

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The boonies of Southern NH
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    tulammo and wofl are MARKETING companies, not MANUFACTURING companies...
    i believe current herters ammo falls in to the same field..i have no idea who makes it...

    mike in co
    My .223 is head stamped Wolf, so I would assume they MAKE it.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,178

    Default

    Neither Wolf nor Herters "make" ammo, they have cases and loaded ammo made for them.
    I would assume, perhaps in error, that the Tula ammo factory makes Tulammo ammunition.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Schuylkill cty Pa
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Don't know who makes the stuff, but I've shot alot of Herter's, Wolf, Prvi, and Tulammo black and yellow box stuff from wal-mart. Its all decent stuff and goes bang.......

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The boonies of Southern NH
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    Is "Wolf" all made by the same Russian plant? There are a few and all willing to do contract runs for market organizations like Wolf.

    Wolf has a problem with their special headstamp showing up on Herters, Tulammo, and Uly packaged ammo. They can't seem to get their contractors in Russia to keep their head stamped brass separate. See the Wolf site.
    This should clarify the Wolf issue.
    http://www.wolfammo.com/pdf/WOLF_Packaging_Alert.pdf
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    bad assumption

    Quote Originally Posted by cruffel View Post
    My .223 is head stamped Wolf, so I would assume they MAKE it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The boonies of Southern NH
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    bad assumption
    See above.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    go read the letter.
    nowhere does it say they MAKE the ammo....
    NOWHERE....
    just that they have a performance guarantee on thier ammo...

    not one word about who actually makes it...none.

    so like i said...
    BAD ASSUMPTION

    mike in co
    Quote Originally Posted by cruffel View Post
    See above.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cruffel View Post
    See above.
    The Wolf post just shows that the various Russian Plants that contract Wolf ammo mix up the darn cases and put "Wolf headstamped" cases in the boxes of other contract buyers.

    Wolf is like Sears, Montgomery Wards, they make NOTHING....they sell stuff.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Barnaul produces the Herter 54R for Cabelas

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    The boonies of Southern NH
    Posts
    1,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    The Wolf post just shows that the various Russian Plants that contract Wolf ammo mix up the darn cases and put "Wolf headstamped" cases in the boxes of other contract buyers.

    Wolf is like Sears, Montgomery Wards, they make NOTHING....they sell stuff.
    My only point was that I was wrong that Herters was made by Wolf and posted the link to show it. What's all the drama?
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    your "logic" is not followed by any of us..that simple

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •