Thread: P serial# prefix VZ.24

Default P serial# prefix VZ.24

I picked up a P VZ.24 rifle this afternoon from a local shop. It is in pretty good shape for a VZ.24, unfortunately there is rust int he bore and on the buttplate from neglect and some dings/scratches on the wood and fittings from rough handling with tools. Hard to really knock it though, most VZ.24's are pretty beat up or redone by the Soviets. Also, it appears to be original matching minus the front sight protector and the cleaning rod, which are missing.

I assume this was most likely one of the ones acquired by the IJN rather than one used in China or Europe, both places where hard use would be difficult for a rifle like this to avoid. Unfortunately the rifle doesn't, to my eye anyway, have any identifying features as to its history other than the good condition it is in.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00974rs.jpg   DSC00977rs.jpg   DSC00979rs.jpg   DSC00981rs.jpg   DSC00982rs.jpg   DSC00990rs.jpg  

I am currently conducting two surveys. One is of Arisakas used by Finland and by European WW1 powers, and the other survey is of m/28-30's built off of other models (which includes updated m/28's). If you have a rifle that would be appropriate for either survey, I would greatly appreciate it if you would PM,or e-mail about your rifle so that I may add it's relevant data to the survey.

Very nice rifle! I've got one in the three thousand serial range that's in about the same exterior condition as yours. The person I bought it from said his Marine uncle had brought it back from Korea though he wasn't sure if his uncle was in WW2 or the KW.

Len
    ..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers

Probably a jap navy rifle, they saw very little use, many just sat in arsenals during the war.

I also have one in the 59xxx range that is in about the same external condition but the bore and inside is still full of old grease.

The P series was intended for export. Some went to Japan, a lot went to China, and some were taken for the Czech. army and later sold to Romania. P series serial numbers were mixed between China and Japan, they were not consecutive. Japanese numbers painted on the sling or bringback papers are the only way to ID the Japanese ones, but chances are good that any VG-E condition P series with no import marks came from Japan.

The rebuilt VZ24 rifles on the market are not Soviet rebuilt but rather Romanian.

Regards,
    Bill
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    The rebuilt VZ24 rifles on the market are not Soviet rebuilt but rather Romanian.

Regards,
    Bill

Thanks for correcting me. I have never actually messed with one of them in person and I just assumed that they were like the Russian capture Kar. 98k's.
    I am currently conducting two surveys. One is of Arisakas used by Finland and by European WW1 powers, and the other survey is of m/28-30's built off of other models (which includes updated m/28's). If you have a rifle that would be appropriate for either survey, I would greatly appreciate it if you would PM,or e-mail about your rifle so that I may add it's relevant data to the survey.

So, I had the rifle out again today and I noticed this mark on the safety. It doesn't seem Czech to me, and I couldn't find any other identifying marks on it. Could it be a clue as the the rifle's history?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01030rs.jpg  

I don't recognize that. It might be Chinese. The P series rifles imported from China had a lot of mixed parts.

Regards,
    Bill
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14