Default Worst Nipples I Ever Seen

In terms of being hard torqued into the cylinder.
    I got the Traditions, made in Taiwan nipple wrench. On the Colt (repro, no TradeMark infringement) a few of the nipples were loose. I put maybe 5 foot pounds on them.
    On the Remington (same there) I tried to pull one or two and found them ultra super tight. And crunched the wrench.
    So now I'm looking for a better quality wrench. But it looks like none exists.
    I saw one 'hardened steel' and then it says By Traditions. Same one I got.
    I found another Made In USA. With a warning: Don't put too much torque on the nipples, or you'll strip the wrench.
    So tomorrow I'm back to Culver City to get another of the Taiwanese nipple wrenches. Unless, if no rain, I call out to Angeles and see if they have a good one out there, then I can go and shoot. Weather permitting.
    In terms of that last super tight nipple; I went to the pliers box; found the first high quality needle nose; gently fitted it over the nipple; slight pressure; snap!; off loosens the last nipple.
    I also need to find a better and appropriate screw driver set. Brownells has one for $50 but I don't know if the tips are skinny enough. They must be very skinny.
    Both guns came with some screws loose.
    dc

There's a reason it's recommended you completely disassemble a revolver, clean & then reassemble before your first trip to the range - and you just discovered why.

I read elsewhere about making a wooden jig for the cylinder, putting your nipple wrench into the chuck of a drill press, then turning it by hand (NO power) to remove stubborn nipples. The extra downward pressure exerted will prevent the wrench from slipping & stripping out. The previous owner of my new-to-me ROA installed the nipples with red Loctite & knowledge about this little bit of extra leverage would have been handy at the time.

http://1858remington.com/discuss/ind...ic,4910.0.html

A little internal wipedown never hurts & gives you opportunity to inspect all internal parts for rough surfaces. Occasionally, Piettas escape final inspection with a little nib left behind on the inside radius of the cylinder bolt - it causes erratic cylinder movement & lock-up, and is easily remedied with a little gentle Dremel work.

As for screwdrivers, I got a set from Harbor Freight with a 20% discount coupon. Nevermind the fact they didn't fit very well, that's where Knowledge of hollow-ground screwdriver blades can be applied to some precision Dremel fitting. I now have a set that is made to precisely fit my Colts and Remingtons. All for under $10 + some gentle hand shaping.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Did someone say nipples?

Yup all grown up and still fascinated by nipples

I got the impression that both guns had been test fired, as one cylinder, or at least the nipple was extra dirty.
    I have searched the internet and still found no particularly good looking (real hard) wrench. They all warn that they can break, and are not guaranteed.
    The pliers worked good. One twist of the wrist.
    But there is still some danger there of scratching up the surfaces.
    I have dozens of screw drivers. I'll need to go thru' them, and then grind some down.
    dc

On the topic of nipples,one of my favorites,the nipples on my 1858 Armi San Paolo have never been removed.I've had it since the mid '80s.Tried once years ago to remove and they destroyed two wrenches.I've just recently learned about a great penetrating oil formula (50/50 trans fluid and acetone) I want to try.Going to pour it in the cylinders and leave stand for a few days.If i grind down a set of needle nose pliers is there a good chance I can remove the nipples?

I didn't have to grind the needle nose. They fit real nice. I did use Weiss or the other (I found two) which are high quality. They must be very strong to keep their integrity at the distance needed, and in a small space. But I was able to do it both on and off with the needle nose. Not a permanent tool for them, but good for a one time loosen up.
    All I have seen says the nipples will function properly without much torque to hold them in.
    dc

No opinions on using trans fluid/acetone ?

I saw a thread where a guy took a small socket and cut a properly-sized slot to fit the nipples. He used a Dremel tool to cut the slot. Can't remember where I saw it.

No idea on the mix. I would recommend WD40. I know people who recommend WD40 for everything, from cooking, to skis, to ...
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    No idea on the mix. I would recommend WD40. I know people who recommend WD40 for everything, from cooking, to skis, to ...
    dc
    Tried the WD-40,no good.Going to try the devils mix tomorrow.

Didn't see all this until now so I hope you haven't wasted your time and money yet. The mix of ATF and Acetone being hailed as a miracle penetrant is a bunch of hogwash. The mix isn't much of a mix at all because it requires constant aggitation to blend. Once allowed to sit still while soaking parts, the acetone quickly seperates and evaporates off the top.
    Soaking with ATF alone has always been a go-to as an alternative. With todays penetrants such as Kroil and PB Blaster etc there's not much need for it as there once was.

I make my own wrenches for each size and harden them with kasenite. Bad wrernch = ruined nipple. In some cases i just go ahead and redrill and tap for 1/4x28 when possible.

FWIW my wife turned bright red the first time she overheard us shooters discussion a problem with our nipples at a roundevous. She still walks away when subject comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    I make my own wrenches for each size and harden them with kasenite. Bad wrernch = ruined nipple. In some cases i just go ahead and redrill and tap for 1/4x28 when possible.
    Good advice for when you can't find a wrench but I don't understand what the problem is with the OP's wrench. I have used some pretty cheap wrenches to remove nipples over the years and have never had anywhere near that problem removing the nipple if it hadn't been ignored for years without removing it. BTW, that should be done every time the gun is cleaned, don't leave it in, removal and cleaning of the nipple is part of the overall cleaning routine that should be done after every shooting session. And for heaven's sake, don't try to use needle nosed pliers to remove a stuck nipple, it will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    FWIW my wife turned bright red the first time she overheard us shooters discussion a problem with our nipples at a roundevous. She still walks away when subject comes up.
    You can solve that problem by using period terminology and call the nipple the cone. But don't do it around people eating ice-cream.....

The factory apparently tightened them down quite tight. The wrench just crunched, rather than cracking the nipple loose.
    The needle nose pliers worked fantastic. Not the slightest scratch anywhere. Just a quick touch, and snap!, the tightest one snapped loose.
    Not only did the pliers work, they worked so fast, on the first touch, that, if I had any less faith in my talent with tools, I would have to call them 'magic pliers.'
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    The factory apparently tightened them down quite tight. The wrench just crunched, rather than cracking the nipple loose.
    The needle nose pliers worked fantastic. Not the slightest scratch anywhere. Just a quick touch, and snap!, the tightest one snapped loose.
    Not only did the pliers work, they worked so fast, on the first touch, that, if I had any less faith in my talent with tools, I would have to call them 'magic pliers.'
    dc
    Most nipple wrenchs are not heat treated or case hardened. Your pliers probably are and you have more leverage. One slip, however, and well you know what can happen.

This reminds me of the guy who blew his nipple into the roof of the range house. Excessive charges and cheap spanish "kentucky" pistol

Vinnie
    (I hope you don't mind if I call you Vinne)
    The pliers actually couldn't really slip. The nipple is recessed into the end of the cylinder and thus the pliers were actually held in place, or nearly so, by the recess. But a steady hand helps also.
    The wrench is not only not case hardened or heat treated, but ... made in ... China (albeit Taiwan). And just soft metal.
    I have yet to find any better ones. They all say, don't exert too much torque or you will ruin the wrench. No guarantee on the wrench.
    Maybe I need to harden one, or make one from a hard socket, like mentioned above.
    I ride a motorcycle. In Los Angeles, even tho' at times it's only into or out of the city to all points of the compass.
    So I know all about skating on thin ice.
    dc

Best nipple wrench I ever tried... this one could withstand the abuse it had to endure when loosening the nipples on a old, rusty original revolver. I broke 3 other wrenches before ordering one of these... it's simply in a class of its own quality-wise. (Made of 1770 hardened spring-steel according to the seller) It's a Swedish site, so use google translate...

http://www.mickessvartkrutsvapen.com.../nippelnyckel/

When working on the nipples I also used a hot air blower to warm the cylinder, and cooling spray on the nipple itself before loosening it. Still had to use a quite strong force before they gave in.

Now, this is Swedish made and to my knowledge sold only in Sweden, so expect that it would cost a bit to have one sent to the U.S... I estimate it would be in the neighborhood of $50 for this wrench and shipping, unless you also have to pay import fees when you get stuff from abroad.

Should you decide to try this wrench out, here is their email address: [email protected]
    If there's any problems, just email me instead and I'll see if I can help...

Take a Craftsman or similar quality 1/4" drive 5mm socket, and carefully with a dremel tool and file, cut slots in each side to match the width of the flats on the nipple. Make sure your slots are true and square. These sockets are very hard and when cut properly they will bring out the tightest nipple. The 5mm socket is also tapered on the outside, and fits all my Uberti and Pietta percussion cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin1945 View Post
    No opinions on using trans fluid/acetone ?
    just go with Kroil oil, no need to try and mix a penetrating oil up......