Gunboards Forums banner

Load info for 12g shotgun

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  bpd303 
#1 ·
Hi-first post so be gentle!! Just bought a Pedersoli 12g s/s muzzle loader and some triple seven ffg powder but I am struggling to find a suggested load for it.I,m going to use 1 1/8 ounce of shot and ,I think, 65 grains (by volume) of triple seven-does this sound about right? I have one of the sliding powder measures that goes from 0-120 grains as my only measuring device.

#3 ·
3 drams of black, or an equivilant VOLUME of substitute would be a good target load.

A hunting load would be more along the lime of 3 3/4 to 4 Drams.

Here, from a very small amount of internet research........
DEVELOPING A LOAD
I played with several loads initially and all worked well, but the basic “Pheasant Thumper” load that I settled on was 3 ½ drams of Fg black powder and 1 ½ oz. of #6 chilled lead shot. In the English measurement of weight 16 drams equal 1 oz, and 7000 grains equal 1 pound. Therefore, by doing the math, we determine that 1-dram is equal to 27.3 grains. Gunpowder charges for shotguns have been stated in drams for centuries. Even today, modern smokeless shotshells often still list a “Dram Equivalent” loading which means that the shotshell is loaded with a charge of smokeless powder that will produce the same muzzle velocity, as would a given charge of black powder. Even in the black powder era the Dram Weight listed was an indication of the expected velocity. My load of 3 ½ drams of black powder equals 95.6 grains, which occupies about the same volume, as does 1 ½ ounces of shot.
A wad column consisting of a single 1/8-inch card wad and two 3/8-inch fiber wads approximate the same volume. In a 10-gauge
2 7/8-inch case, the combined volume of the three components, (powder, wads, and shot) fill the case up to where a thin over-shot card wad can be inserted leaving just enough room to fold the case mouth over into a classic roll crimp.

#4 ·
i have a older single barrel and a older double barrel (both have steel barrels) that i shoot black powder in,i load 60grs fff black and a plastic wad with 1 1/8 oz #6 shot, kills as good as a regular game load. a trick i learned many years ago is to carry a few shells with just a primer and filled with crisco and after shooting several black powder shells i fire one of the crisco shells,it keeps the fouling very soft. i load the black powder shells on a old mec 600. in a new repo caplock shotgun i use the same load,only using a over the shot wad to hold the shot in place. i have taken rabbits,squirrles and ringnecks with my black powder shells. i,m going to try and take a spring turkey this year with a black powder shell . eastbank

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
For quail/dove - 80gr GOEX 2F, overpowder card, overpowder lubed fiber wab, another card over the wad, 1 1/8oz #8 shot, card over the shoot.

For pheasant - 90gr GOEX 2F, overpowder card, overpowder lubed fiber wad, another card, 1 1/8oz #6 shot, card over the shot.

Standard disclaimer - these loads are information only and not recommended for anyone else.

I have no experience with Triple 7, and always suggest new shooters try real black. The above loads work in a single, in your double with any load check, after firing the first barrel, the unfired load/barrel to make sure the recoil has not loosened the unfired charge. Play around with lubes, veg. oil for the wads will work as will bore butter (it you melt the bore butter and soak the wads).

PS - Enjoy you shotgun and please report back on how your SXS performs, I am thinking of getting one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.