Default remington 7400 308 jamming fix

has anybody heard of the "recipe" for fixing the jamming problem on the 7400's
    its by cutting the return spring 1 coil at a time until the bolt has gone all the way back, to catch the next rd
    if youve heard of it, is there any truth to the "fix"?

. . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . .
    . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . .

A friend of mine works on guns as a hobby and he despises the 7400. He claims the spring you are speaking of is too stiff and he does cut them back to get the rifle to function as intended.

yea its weird . remington must know about the problem. but they ignore it
    i got this from another site
    this is by a guy named pops
    if your rem. 7400 or new 750 is jamming there is a very SIMPLE fix! the 1st thing you must determine is the type of jam you are experiencing. if your auto loader is NOT ejecting a spent round then this fix is the solution to your problem. if your auto loader is ejecting the spent rd but not driving a live rd home then this is not the remedy and you should try a new clip and a through cleaning [ with 1 exception i will explan latter]

if you remington auto loader is CLEAN and well LUBED and you are not ejecting the spent rd then you need to remove the forearm and with a quality pair of large wire cutters remove ONE [1] coil from the return/main spring.
    place a peice of clear shipping tape on the receiver, so that the edge of the tape covers the bolt handle slot just enough to cause the bolt handle shaft to "dent" the edge of the tape when its pulled fully to the rear of the receiver. this is the gauge to let you know when the bolt has been fully thrown to its most rearwared position in the receiver by the gas operation system. your bolt MUST reach its full rearward movement to engage the live rd in the magazine!
    important to know is that you must stop clipping coils as soon as the tape is dented showing fullk rearward movement of the bolt.
    i have repaired many 7400's and a couple of the new 750's with this method and the worst that can happewn is you clip to many coils and have to replace the main spring and start over.
    as long as the spring clipping was stopped as the bolt fully reached the rear of the receiver you will have ample spring pressure to close the bolt and load a new rd
    PS..in the beginning i mentioned an exception , this is the explanation.
    if your firearm is ejecting a spent rd but not picking up a new one then this fix will also work because mostr likely your problem is that the bolt is traveling far enough to eject the round but not fully to the rear to pick up the live rd.
    use the tape "gauge" at the rear of the bolt slot to determine if the bolt is traveling fully to the rear.
    this method will put an end to theterm JAMOMATIC.
    i9 have never over cut the spring by cutting one coil at a time.
    every rem. auto loader i have repaired in this fashion has stayed fixed and functioning perfectly
    Last edited by frodo; 01-11-2013 at 01:44 PM.

That's interesting. Much fanfare came from Remington when they introduced the model 7400/4 to replace the 742. They claimed it was a much improved design and a big improvement. I prefer the old 742, of which I have owned three, none of which gave me any trouble. In my experience any problems with jamming in 742's are almost always related to the magazine which was easily replaced.

your correct if your rifle is jamming when you try and chamber a round. magazine is bent or dirty or etc...
    the scope of this artical l is when it jams upon ejection. then pops refers to the spring being weak