Thread: Colt Systema Experts ????

Default Colt Systema Experts ????

I purchased one over 15-20 years ago from a local dealer who ordered them from Century. He ordered 20 or so an d one odd one was in the bunch. Its is chambered in 22LR. Did these pistols ever come in 22lr. I took it to my local Gunsmith....in business since '49. He has never seen one like it. Never seen a 22 conversion that works like this one. Barrel does have an "A/I" in a shield on the left side of the lug. Any ideas???? I bought it because I have never seen one and it was supposed to be a 45 in the shipment. Bought it cheap and it shoots great. Any facts or educated guesses appreciated.

Thanks

Snook
    Last edited by Snook; 02-20-2008 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

There is Sistema Colt which translates from Spanish to English something like: Colt System or Colt Mechanism. Is that what you have?
    Last edited by ij70; 02-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Yes that is what I have......slide is marked among other things " SIST. COLT CAL 11.25 MM. MOD. 1927"

Post in the .22 forum and/or ask "Raul" about it. He's Argentine, worked in the business, and has a nice collection and apparent knowledge of military .22s.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

I have never seen one in 22lr so I would tend to think that they are rare.
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

Laugh hard and often.

Gary

The "Sistema 27" in .22lr were never manufactured, they are not original-The 22s with the Establecimientos Venturini inscription are pistols that a small local weapons factory "Establecimientos Venturini" converted for the police in the late 70's before the firm went broke-Locally we never had occasion of seeing those pistols, because the whole batch was exported, maybe in a deal that the police departments usually do, ie receiving a new lot of pistols and paying the with the items stashed in their arsenals-
    Can not say how if it worked or not, because Venturini never offered their conversion to the commercial market-

Snook: if you can post pictures of your caliber .22 Sistema Colt I could give you more information about this pistol. Nevertheless the story of these pistols is as follows: after having adopted the Browning High Power pistol the Province of Buenos Aires police had a number of their caliber .45 ACP Sistema Colt and Ballester-Molina converter to caliber .22 LR purportedly to be used as training guns. This task was undertaken by two Argentine gunmakers, Establecimientos Venturini and by Industrias Marcati. Although both conversions are similiar in principle they are indeed different in details and in some components such as the magazine. As a general rule, the Venturini conversion has a higher level of workmanship and the pistols that were so converted have a really good appearance. Pistols converted by Venturini were marked:

TRANSF. A CAL. 22L.R. POR EST. VENTURINI S.A.

In the other hand, the Sistema Colt pistols that were converted to caliber .22LR by Industrias Marcati were not marked after the conversion process was finished. The quality of this conversion is rough to say the least. Pistols converted by either Marcati or Venturini are fully functional. Due to the fact that both conversions are based on the used of a floating chamber, this component has to be properly maintained, cleaned and oiled frequently in order to assure proper operation.

Snook: is the barrel of your Sistema Colt marked with the letters "I' and "M" inside a shield, and with the word BATAAN? If so your pistol was converted by Industrias Marcati.

Quote Originally Posted by castillo View Post
    Snook: is the barrel of your Sistema Colt marked with the letters "I' and "M" inside a shield, and with the word BATAAN? If so your pistol was converted by Industrias Marcati.
    Indeed it is marked with the I/M in a shield with the word Bataan. I see from your post it is a Industrias Marcati. Any more info on these weapons out there? Any sites or books? Approximate value???

I have 1 of the Venturini converted Sistemas. Condition is mint reblued condition with original black grips. What was not mentioned is that the 22 conversion kit( barrel and floating chamber) is numbered to the gun. Also the safety is a reddish copper color? very standoutish.Reason? If anyone is interested I will post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    If anyone is interested I will post pictures.
    I can't imagine anyone NOT being interested!

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Here is my Sistema 22 LR

Looks nice, I think--pics are small. :eek: You can go up to 300k per pic. Anyway, congratulations, that is a very nice pistol to have in a collection. I'd sure be proud to have it in mine.

SlimTim

Slim here you go

Thank you for sharing! Very, very nice!

SlimTim

Default Sistema 22

I to have one of these pistols,It must have been made by Industrias Marcati.,as it has no markings stating it's 22 cal. It is just a few numbers off from Scipio's pistol. I wish there was more info on them,#'s produced by year,value,where to get spare mags

Jfh1959: your sistema Colt was indeed converted by Industrias Marcati. It is easy to recognize due to the fact that the insert with the breech face, firing pin and extractor is secured to the slide by means of a rolled pin.

castillo,Is this a good or bad thing? Would I need to take this roll pin out if I needed to take the firing pin out,or take some other part out for replacement in the furture? Does it need to come out to break down and clean in detail? Any info would be help full,Thanks

Great thread guys. I have learned some more, but now I want one.

Default Ejection Question

I have one of the 22LR Sistemas modified by Venturini and can't figure out how it ejects a shell casing. I also have a vintage Colt Service Ace and have been comparing the two. The Colt Ace has an ejector that fits into a groove machined into the left side of the barrel. My Sistema did not come with an ejector and there is no groove in the side of the barrel to hold one. Could the ejection function be done by the magazine? The left rear lip is taller than the right rear lip. Could this be the ejector? I haven't tried shooting the Sistema, but I tried cycling some dummy rounds. The dummies fed into the chamber, extracted OK, but didn't eject. Any advice would be appreciated.