Default mas 49/56 scope mount question

Ok, I really wanted a K-var scope mount... they dont make them anymore, but they do make one for an ak47, Has ANYBODY tried an ak 47 scope mount on an mas 49/56, I dont have an ak47 to compare to.... but ak 47 scope mounts like this are available for about $30 on ebay... Somebody help!!! I dont wanna pay $100 for a scope mount from McCan

An AK scope mount will not fit on a MAS 49/56, they are two completely different animals. I picked up a used KVAR mount a year ago for my MAS 49/56 and paid $80.00 for it shipped. Seems to be a well made piece.

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by 67tempest View Post
    An AK scope mount will not fit on a MAS 49/56, they are two completely different animals. I picked up a used KVAR mount a year ago for my MAS 49/56 and paid $80.00 for it shipped. Seems to be a well made piece.
    Thanks for your answer, didn't wanna buy a mount just to see if it might work... Any leads on a used K-var mount for me??

I searched along time before I found mine. You do see them pop up for sale from time to time. To be truthful, the mount positions the scope so high that a proper cheek weld is next to impossible. Unless you modify the stock somehow by adding a cheek piece it is just about unusable in my opinion.

I bought the McCann mount. The scope is too high without an add-on cheekpiece, but that is true of many milurps when you fit a scope.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

Want to sell your too tall kvar mount so you can get a shorter McCann mount?? I modified my rifle for a saiga quad rail, ar15 pistol grip, and ar15 6 position buttstock with an adjustable cheek riser, the recoil reducing buttstock from the making group its awesome

I also bought the McCann mount. It is well made but it also puts the scope higher so ejected brass clears. I use a lace-on cheekpiece that works better than you might think. It's supposed to be repeatable- i.e. remove- reinstall and maintain zero. Looking at how it's made to fit the mounting grooves on the 49/56 i don't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by FROGUS View Post
    I also bought the McCann mount. It is well made but it also puts the scope higher so ejected brass clears. I use a lace-on cheek piece that works better than you might think. It's supposed to be repeatable- i.e. remove- reinstall and maintain zero. Looking at how it's made to fit the mounting grooves on the 49/56 i don't see why not.
    I got extremely lucky and got a like new McCann from a member here on Gunboards. I won't post the price so you guys won't cry.

I have a question though. Does a new one come with anything to put between the set screws and the gun metal.

There was no way I was going to allow the set screws to dig into my gun's finish. I made brass slugs out of 1/4" round stock and tighten the screws against them.

I made a high cheek rest to use too.

Motor

I caved and ordered a McCann mount 3 days ago on their site, but they haven't taken my money or sent me an email confirmation.... looks like I might be stuck with open sights....

I have fitted a K-var using a Kalinka scope. This is on my MSE rifle. with cheek piece factory fitted. It works well. However, I also have and use the issue French scope with mount. It too works well. I think you would be better served to find and buy the Issue scope with mount.

If you can't locate a K-Var mount, S&K makes one.

http://scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Look under Ex-Military...pictures...right side of page. Don't know why the link didn't go all the way to that mount.