Default How to sight in/adjust a peep sight?

I currently just recieved a gun from my mother that was her fathers, and it has a peep sight on it. And this weekend I plan on shooting it for the first time, and also sighting it in. So I researched on google on how to sight in a peep sight, but I yielded no results, so I come to you asking how do I sight in a peep sight? I know it shouldn't be difficult, I just don't want to start adjusting things that I shouldn't be touching, etc. Btw it is a Lyman Peep Sight in case their sights are different at all...

Not really difficult, you've basically an elevation and windage knob. Although it may not be the actual mechanical zero for the rifle, set your elevation and windage at the zeros on the scales of the sight. Shoot your first shots at 25 yards so you can see where you are hitting. Use a consistent sight picture/hold. I suspect your rifle has a post type front sight, so use a 6 o'clock hold and keep that sight picture consistent. Don't worry too much about trying to center the post in sight aperture. Your eye will usually do that naturally. If you have access to a laser bore sight you can do a pre-range zero too.
    kriggevær - skarpskytte, samler, jæger
    "Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

You may want to shoot it first to see if it is already close before twiddling knobs. It's a good idea to watch the little gradiations on the scales while turning the knobs so you can tell if it's moving the correct direction.

Good point reddog, I got ahead of myself
    kriggevær - skarpskytte, samler, jæger
    "Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

Another way, if it's a bolt action, is to remove the bolt, look through the bore & center the target in the bore. Then without moving the rifle, look through the sight & adjust to the target. Should get you pretty close at 100 yds. Best done with the rifle secured in some sort of a rest.

Regards, Hud
    "Touch Not A Catt Bot A Targe"
    Clann MacBheathain
    From Loch Ness To The Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha07 View Post
    I currently just recieved a gun from my mother that was her fathers, and it has a peep sight on it. And this weekend I plan on it for the first time, and also sighting it in. So I researched on google on how to sight in a peep sight, but I yielded no results, so I come to you asking how do I sight in a peep sight? I know it shouldn't be difficult, I just don't want to start adjusting things that I shouldn't be touching, etc. Btw it is a Lyman Peep Sight in case their sights are different at all...
    Peep sights are normally very easy to adjust; much easier in fact than open sights. Assuming it is the micrometer type, which means the adjusting screws click when you turn them, you turn the elevation and windage screws to move the point of impact of the bullet. Both adjusting screws should be marked. The elevation screw will normally be marked "U" or "Up" and an arrow indicating the direction, and the windage screw with "L" or "R" or "Left" or "Right" and an arrow indicating direction.
    So, if you shoot your rifle and the bullet hits below where you aimed, you just turn the elevation adjustment screw in the "U" or "Up" direction. This raises the point of impact of your bullet. Likewise with the windage adjustment. Usually the "clicks" will raise the point of impact 1/4"-1/2" at 100 yds. So, 2-4 clicks will move your bullet about 1". Remember at short ranges in will take proportionally more clicks to move the bullet the same distance. So, if it took 4 clicks to move the bullets impact 1" @ 100 yds., then it will take 8 clicks to move the bullet 1" @ 50 yds.
    Good luck!
    35W

Yeah it was actually really simple to adjust, but suprisingly I did not really have to tinker around with it. It shot fine from the first shot. My gun is an old WW2 Mauser that has been re-stocked and re-barreled to a 7mm Magnum, and boy was that fun shooting; it definately had a good kick, in my opinion at least.

Anyways thanks for the help.