Gunboards Forums banner

What 303 Brit neck sizer to buy

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  swedeM63 
#1 ·
Anyone have an opinion on 303 Brit neck sizing dies? RCBS, or Lee collet. What is your preference, and why.

#3 · (Edited)
There are at least 6 different types of .303 neck dies.
1. The Lee loader hand tool
2. The L. E. Wilson bushing sizer that you use with a plastic hammer or small arbor press
3. Conventional 7/8-14 thread neck size like the RCBS
4. A Hornady universal type .30 cal that can be used if you change out the expander
5. The Redding S type bushing die - see below
6. The Lee collet die

The Lee collet die may require some polishing of the mandrel to adjust the tension of seated bullets.
If you just increase the pressure on the mandrel you will put collet lines on the case necks. If you use varying brands of cases with different tempers (differing anneals) or differing case neck thicknesses you may have to dink with the die a little to control the case neck tension.

The conventional dies will work if you just want to set and forget. They will work like a hammer but are not too flexible for use on other rounds.
For example you could use a 7.62X54R or .308 neck die with the correct expanders for several different rounds. I like this flexibility.

Then there is the Redding type S bushing die in say .308. This die with the right bushing (and expander if you want to use both) will work for about 32 or 33 different cartridges from the .22-250 to the 8X57. This is one of my favorites due to its one size - many cases use.

Wilson makes a precision hand die that uses the same bushings as the Redding.

The Lee hand tool can be used to neck size cases before they are finished in a conventional seating die and press.

#4 · (Edited)
Lyman 310 die would be another option.
You'd need the MR(muzzle resizer) and an insert for conventional 7/8-14 threaded presses, 310 tool(handles & insert) or a Lyman tru-line with appropriate shell holder.
I've started using the Tru-Line with various MR dies.
Even have a set of 7,35 Carcano.
Prior to that my preference would have been the Lee collet die.
I try to make blasting ammunition, so competition quality is not a requirement.
I adjust(grind or build up w/TIG weld) shell holders to use for various cases.
YMMV

#5 ·
if all you want to do is neck size, try .308 win dies. the .303 case tapers enough to only neck-size in the full -length, .308 sizer...a tad tighter, but works fine. you can seat bullets with the .308 seater die too. of course you need a .303 brit shell holder!:)

#6 ·
I prefer the lee collet die. No lube to remove and quick to use.

For thinner type case necks like the .303 you have to carefully adjust the die height, especially if you aren't using a Lee press. On my rockchucker the Lee is great but I adjust it for every different type (berdan/boxer) and maker of brass, particularly since I anneal necks before I first reload and want to avoid pushing the shoulder back and ruining the case. Always check it is giving enough neck tension by seating a bullet from the first case sized. If you back the dies off too much you will have low neck tension.

I got rid of all my conventional neck dies since they sometimes pull the shoulder up if the case is a little less lubed/more sticky on withdrawal - resulting in hard chambering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.