Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 46 to 89 of 89

Thread: Need advice on ax 41 K98k Mauser

  1. #46
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Uh.......Hambone advised him to strip the stock with acetone on the other forum. Finish with Howard's.

    Can the mods please shut this one down? We're beating a dead horse.
    Live from the dawghouse.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern West Virginia
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Did a detail strip and thorough cleaning tonight. The wood definitely has shellac or some kind of varnish on it. Once I got down to cleaning it, and taking my time I noticed there were quite a few spots and small trails of shellac here and there on the receiver, in the trigger housing, and on some of the other metal parts. I cleaned the shellac off the area on the heel of the stock where the serial number is stamped, and I can definitely make out the last two digits of 7 and 8 so I'm pretty sure the stock is matching. Stripped down the bolt and man was it filthy. I honestly think I cleaned some residue of Europe out of it. :biggrin: Firing pin number matches too.


    I guess it's time for me to figure out the best way to remove that shellac without harming the finish and wood underneath. I've had pointers from several people. Looks like I'm going to start with bronze wool to start. I may use a mild stripper like Citristrip. One of the people I've been speaking to has always given me solid advice. Several people on this and K98 forums have said the finish isn't original and to strip it too. Most recommended acetone. I kinda leery to use acetone as I don't want to screw the pooch right now, so I'm going to start small.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Bronze wool? Citristrip? I'm sure the advice you have been getting has good intentions behind it, but if you use those two methods you will hurt the value of k98k. No question about it.

    No bronze wool, steel wool, sandpaper, emery cloth, etc on a German stock, period. You may get away with that method on a molested RC k98k but that's about it....

    Citristip and other chemical cleaners are harsh chemicals. Some do less damage to wood, some do more. Notice how the wording on the product is slightly skewed. "Safer than other paint strippers" doesn't mean "Safe" and "Can be used on wood, metal, etc" doesn't mean "should be used on wood" or "designed to not hurt wood". Citristrip is most likely the best of the bunch since its "non corrosive" but it still has its negatives. Wood is organic matter and the wood's fibers get dried out and become brittle from these types of chemicals. It is best to avoid them. When you run a search, the majority of chemical stripper users also many times end up sanding and completely refinishing their stocks so with all do respect, their opinion on the matter doesn't really apply unless your going to be totally refinishing the wood.

    There are chemical free methods that are always worth a shot before moving on to chemical ones. The duct tape method is my personal number one choice. If your not aware it's basically consists of giving your stock a bikini wax. Press on a strip of quality duct tape and pull off... Now some shellac is stubborn and a good varnish will resist the duct tape method so you need to give it a test to see. Benefits are no smell, no chemicals, no damage to wood.

    Second chem-free is the "scrape or glass method". You take a very small plastic scrapper or a piece of glass (use caution) and at the right angle you scrape the shellac/varnish off. This is extremely time consuming but if you take your time the results can be very nice. Benefits are no smell, chemical free and the satisfaction that you can be proud of working on a stock for hours. You can also use a combination of duct tape/scrape method...

    Now if those methods don't suite you.... Try denatured alcohol first. Soak a rag and wipe off. In my experience its much easier on the wood compared to acetone. If it won't come off with denatured alcohol, them it's most likely varnish and acetone will take care of that.... Neutralize the wood with mineral spirits when your done.

    The completion step for any of the "removal methods" would be Howard's feed and wax IMO. My advice is give the chem free methods a chance before rushing into the chemical ones. My buddy turned his stock into having greenish tint because many folks recommend the oven cleaner method for cleaning a stock.....
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Razor, Ive redone many a stock. You've been listening to me since the start of this at the Mosin site. NO ABRASIVES! Mauserguy above is right on. The proper way to strip shellac off a milsurp is with duct tape or by scraping as much off as you can. I use a sharp plastic putty knife and hit it with with denatured alcohol. to get the rest. NO ABRASIVES!
    Live from the dawghouse.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    188

    Default

    RazorBurn... nice score. So, does this thread make you regret getting involved with 98k's?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Kursk-

    Nope I won't even agree on the possibility because there is not even a shred of evidence to support it. Look at what the owner said, he stripped it and it was shellack. you have been talking out of your ass this entire time and i called you on it. You have been the only one insulting members, and started the "dumbing down" sequence, then say the way this thread turned out isnt your fault. Its because of people like you that not even our own mods participate here.

    Now, I gave you my examples, now please, back up all your asstalk with your examples of k98s drenched in war time field shellack. I'm still waiting.
    Last edited by Bigdibbs88; 02-15-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Southern West Virginia
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robcox1 View Post
    RazorBurn... nice score. So, does this thread make you regret getting involved with 98k's?
    Not at all, not one bit!!!

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    Kursk-
    I won't even agree on the possibility because there is not even a shred of evidence to support it. Look at what the owner said, he stripped it and it was shellack. you have been talking out of your ass this entire time and i called you on it. You have been the only one insulting members, and started the "dumbing down" sequence, then say the way this thread turned out isnt your fault. Its because of people like you that not even our own mods participate here.

    Now, I gave you my examples, now please, back up all your asstalk with your examples of k98s drenched in war time field shellack. I'm still waiting.
    Congradulations dibbs, the mods owe you a "warning" for your donkeytalk word on the forum.

    Yes dibbs, you should have read what the owner said AND comprehended what he said. Per razor: "The wood definitely has shellac or some kind of varnish on it."
    Did you see the or some kind of varnish on it part? Well? I guess not because you are so headstrong with a quick opinion instead of reading and comprehending what is being said by the op. The finish was never definitively identified even by the owner. So how can you tell what it is by a photo? Oh, it looks like, i've seen this before, has to be, so on and so forth DOES NOT cut it.

    Your old common law to case law theory does not apply to unknowns. Are you 100% positive about all of your comments on this thread? I bet you think you are but you have proven yourself to be a person who cannot accept unknowns and possibilities. There is no sense in trying to continue to get you to understand that you and everyone else here has no clue what the finish really is. It seems that people think that if it doesn't look like a text book example then it has to be postwar additional coating. Maybe, just maybe, the soldier that carried it put a coating on the rifle in some back of the front lines house or barn? Not saying they did but just using this as a prod to get you to consider other possibilities.

    On to the rifle. Once the coating is taken off it will be gone forever along with it's real unknown history. I am betting that if the rifle was listed on broker that it would have drawn more money vs. what is being done to it now. Removing a patina is not very advisable on a collectable rifle unless the desired look is "textbook".

    Edit: Oops, you said the naughty donkey word twice now. I guess you need two detentions from the mods.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    The germans did not varnish stocks either. Keep flapping your gums, im still waiting for your evidence of German field shellacked/varnished k98 stocks. Something tells me ill be waiting a while....
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Here is my question/concern. We don't know what was applied, who did it or when it was done. We hear all the time on other forums, not to to apply or alter finish, now the buyer is being told to remove the finish and apply some type of preservative. Is this just a tactic buyers use to get rifles cheaper? Tell the seller,' Oh the finish is not original, can't be worth much now". None of these rifles are the same as when they left the factory. If the buyer wanted a better finished one, he should have saved his money and bought one. The rifle at this point has history/character. Remove that finish (regardless of when,where,who) applied it will only make it look like a newly refinished stock. Ron

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    The germans did not varnish stocks either. Keep flapping your gums, im still waiting for your evidence of German field shellacked/varnished k98 stocks. Something tells me ill be waiting a while....
    This^^^

    Kursk, I've really tried to not get involved but I just can't take it anymore. I have no idea why you are still pushing a lost argument. The Germans DID NOT apply shiny VARNISH or SHELLAC on their k98ks, period. Why would they apply a shiney and reflective coating in the first place? That would be idiotic to do so and the German soldier in general was not a idiotic soldier. Im sorry, but your argument has more holes in it then Swiss cheese. It's just not realistic. When you start thowing out "possibilities". Then it's possible that Martians inhabited mars once upon a time. I think that's more possible actually then the possibility of Germans applying shellac and varnish to k98k stocks during wartime. Post war applied shellac/varnish to k98k stocks is something that was commonly done to many k98k rifles and this stock is not an exception.
    Last edited by MauserGuy85; 02-15-2013 at 12:58 PM.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    The germans did not varnish stocks either. Keep flapping your gums, im still waiting for your evidence of German field shellacked/varnished k98 stocks. Something tells me ill be waiting a while....
    Not from the factory but possibly in the field at some location where a wood coating was available? Germans were in fact wood workers and varnish/shellac was a common coating (still is today) so don't tell me that there is no possibility it could have been done during the war. You were not there but you difinitively rule out any possibility. That's what I'm trying to get through your thick skull - possibility. Understand now? Oh, wait, maybe there was an order from above to NEVER field coat a stock unless its oil. Yeah right.


    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    Here is my question/concern. We don't know what was applied, who did it or when it was done. We hear all the time on other forums, not to to apply or alter finish, now the buyer is being told to remove the finish and apply some type of preservative. Is this just a tactic buyers use to get rifles cheaper? Tell the seller,' Oh the finish is not original, can't be worth much now". None of these rifles are the same as when they left the factory. If the buyer wanted a better finished one, he should have saved his money and bought one. The rifle at this point has history/character. Remove that finish (regardless of when,where,who) applied it will only make it look like a newly refinished stock. Ron
    Tanker understands completely what I said and what has been said in the past even by past mods. No need to try and get dibbs to figure this one out.

    Quote Originally Posted by MauserGuy85 View Post
    This^^^

    Kursk, I've really tried to not get involved but I just can't take it anymore. I have no idea why you are still pushing a lost argument. The Germans DID NOT apply shiny VARNISH or SHELLAC on their k98ks, period. Why would they apply a shiney and reflective coating in the first place? That would be idiotic to do so and the German soldier in general was not a idiotic soldier. Im sorry, but your argument has more holes in it then Swiss cheese. It's just not realistic. When you start thowing out "possibilities". Then it's possible that Martians inhabited mars once upon a time. I think that's more possible actually then the possibility of Germans applying shellac and varnish to k98k stocks during wartime. Post war applied shellac/varnish to k98k stocks is something that was commonly done to many k98k rifles and this stock is not an exception.
    MG. You say it is a lost argument because you cannot understand "possibilites" of various coatings applied in the field? Really? Come on, just admit that there is a possibility that something other than motor oil was used in the field. You are smarter than those who cannot prove they didn't put shellac/varnish/anything other than oil on a rifle in the field, basement, barn, etc. etc. Keep in mind now that I never said they did any of this but rather that there were possibilities of it happening. Think about it and you'll see what I mean.

    Hell, look at all the people in the country that have rc k98s. Do you think that there is any chance at all that everyone who refinished an rc stock all used the same thing? Good grief.

    There were MILLIONS of these k98s made and there is nobody on this forum that can absolutely say that varnish or shellac was never applied to a k98 during the war in germany. I am SURE that if a stock was weathered and it needed to be coated with something to protect it then wood finishes that were abundant in a wood working/craftsmanship country like germany would have an array available in many locations. Get real.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    I will suffice to say that the biggest Mauser minds on this boards, I won't mention any names since they don't deserve to be drug into this stench but just think of who you would ask for advice, concur, it's a post war finish. Razor has gotten PMs. He also told me that the finish is not only on the wood but on several metal parts too. That eliminates oil as being the mystery finish.

    Mods again can you please shut this one down
    Live from the dawghouse.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    Uh.......Hambone advised him to strip the stock with acetone on the other forum. Finish with Howard's.

    Can the mods please shut this one down? We're beating a dead horse.
    Hambone has said a lot of things. One of which included the fact that early walnut mausers do in fact have a sheen to them and that it "could be" from a build-up of soldier applied something or other. Yes, he said it. Others agreed. I agree too.

    What Hambone says now is as different as what he may say in two years from now. Sheep, it is ALWAYS best to not take a patina off of wood like that. Nobody can prove it is postwar applied and remember I said that there is a possibility that it was applied during the war (after it left the factory).

    Aside from that I think the mods should leave it open as it brings up discussion that is long overdue. A very smart man once said that if the masses are told the same thing over and over again that they would eventually believe it. Same applies to this stock and those like it. Can't anyone think for themselves independantly anymore? Hopefully most of the people here know better than to believe the liberal media all the time---but what if they did? Oh thats right they do and thats why the president was re-elected.
    Anyway, I'm done with this thread, for now anyway. Keep stripping those stocks guys.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    I will suffice to say that the biggest Mauser minds on this boards, I won't mention any names since they don't deserve to be drug into this stench but just think of who you would ask for advice, concur, it's a post war finish. Razor has gotten PMs. He also told me that the finish is not only on the wood but on several metal parts too. That eliminates oil as being the mystery finish.

    Mods again can you please shut this one down
    Again, I said "possibilities" which means whatever was available other than factory finish.

    If you think there is no chance that the germans had shellac, varnish, what have you, available that was not under control of the army then you are short sighted. Did they suddenly brew it up AFTER the war and BEFORE the gi's went home?

    What about the cigarette rifles? Oh, I guess those are ALL post war finishes also of which were not available during the war. They must have built the guns and then the servicemen took them home and applied a finish in their basement. I guess germany did not have any furniture manufacturers in business during the war either. I cannot fathom why this is so hard for people to grasp unless their brains are so controlled by which they were "told". Unbelievable.

  16. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
    Again, I said "possibilities" which means whatever was available other than factory finish.

    If you think there is no chance that the germans had shellac, varnish, what have you, available that was not under control of the army then you are short sighted. Did they suddenly brew it up AFTER the war and BEFORE the gi's went home?

    What about the cigarette rifles? Oh, I guess those are ALL post war finishes also of which were not available during the war. They must have built the guns and then the servicemen took them home and applied a finish in their basement. I guess germany did not have any furniture manufacturers in business during the war either. I cannot fathom why this is so hard for people to grasp unless their brains are so controlled by which they were "told". Unbelievable.
    i guess you'd argue that this could possibly be original finish too? I mean why not, blue paint existed then too. dont be closed-minded, maybe the luftwaffe painted it so when they were flying it blended in better.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k98.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	635495
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  17. #62
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Kursk I'm just tired of the name calling, that's why I asked the mods to shut it down. I tell you something that I am proud of and add it to the knowledge I have of finishes. My Dad fought in the Wehrmacht, captured by the Americans near Metz in Oct 1944. He was also a master with a piece of wood. My mother lost her first husband at a place called Stalingrad. I think I have a pretty good idea of how a German of that era thinks. Now all that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee but that's where I'm coming from.

    Hambone isn't the only respected authority around here to tell our lucky friend that either. We all have opinions and we all know what part of the body opinions are like. Respect mine and it will go a long ways to help me respect yours.
    Live from the dawghouse.

  18. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    deleted
    Last edited by tanker1; 02-15-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: double post

  19. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Now that is just being ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    i guess you'd argue that this could possibly be original finish too? I mean why not, blue paint existed then too. dont be closed-minded, maybe the luftwaffe painted it so when they were flying it blended in better.

    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...yl6o1_1280.jpg

  20. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in a house
    Posts
    3,421

    Default

    You cannot tell an idiot the truth. Germans did not put varnish on their rifles and that's that. Be prepared for violent threats in PMs from this infantile mind. Apparently the mods don't care.

  21. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    Now that is just being ridiculous.
    no more ridiculous than arguing that the finish on the ax41 was field applied
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  22. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Sheep I don't have an issue with you, never did. Like I said, when you are here long enough you will see many people respond with different answers to the same question. Some, obviously, are closed minded.

    Now I'm not closed minded at all and you can see that. If I was then I would agree with the other two guys and say there is no possible way that a soldier would put anything on a k98 stock during the war unless it was motor oil. I think you understand what I am saying. Good day to you.

  23. #68
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    Now that is just being ridiculous.

    I'll take your word for it tanker as I have no desire to click on his link there as it is obvious he is trying to distort.

  24. #69
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    You really are joking, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    no more ridiculous than arguing that the finish on the ax41 was field applied

  25. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    You cannot tell an idiot the truth. Germans did not put varnish on their rifles and that's that. Be prepared for violent threats in PMs from this infantile mind. Apparently the mods don't care.
    Your first sentence is true and applies to you. You cannot prove that they didn't put anything other than motor oil on a stock during the war. Violent threats started were by you rexy and I have them to prove it...all time stamped I believe. So why would you bring up personal messages and try to alter the truth by imply someone else is the only one doing it unless you were not smart enough to remember who sent one out first? I guess the shoe fits your foot, again. Don't you just hate yourself?

  26. #71
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    You really are joking, right?
    Come on dibbs, yes he is joking. You can figure that out can't you? Well, maybe it was a poor choice of words by me so I'll just say "hey dibbs, don't worry about it fella".

  27. #72
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    One other thing Kursk. Say you are correct. Young Helmut, that was my Dad's name by the way, hid out in a German shellac factory sometime during the last weeks of the war. In there he decided to apply a coat of whatever to his trusty K 98. Now 68 years later lucky Razor get's Helmut's rifle, covered with a pretty damn shiny finish. Razor needs money for an emergency or to help put little Razor Jr. through college so he is going to try to sell this K 98 to a collector for big bucks. What is going to be the first words out of the collectors mouth.

    "Your asking to much for a rifle that doesn't have an original finish on it bub!"

    Don't believe me? Razor's getting a 41 AX for $1000 roughly, If everything is 100% correct what's it really worth? Deals like that just don't happen that much when dealing with your friendly LGS. I paid more for my best Sauer and it has issues.
    Live from the dawghouse.

  28. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    You really are joking, right?
    joking in the sense that the blue paint is obviously a rediculous post war addition.

    not joking in the fact that it is asinine to assert that the finish on either that rifle or the ax were field applied.

    lets say that even if in some parallel universe, the shellac were added by the german soldier, no one would believe it unless you had a video of the g.i. taking the shellac covered rifle off of a dead german, so really, this whole thread is pointless.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  29. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
    Sheep I don't have an issue with you, never did. Like I said, when you are here long enough you will see many people respond with different answers to the same question. Some, obviously, are closed minded.

    Now I'm not closed minded at all and you can see that. If I was then I would agree with the other two guys and say there is no possible way that a soldier would put anything on a k98 stock during the war unless it was motor oil. I think you understand what I am saying. Good day to you.
    I have over 6000 posts on another firearms board. A hundred different answers is the norm, I know that.
    Live from the dawghouse.

  30. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    299

    Default

    But the point is , no one can prove without a doubt one way or the other! With that said it is just as probable as is improbable!! Ron

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    joking in the sense that the blue paint is obviously a rediculous post war addition.

    not joking in the fact that it is asinine to assert that the finish on either that rifle or the ax were field applied.

  31. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tanker1 View Post
    But the point is , no one can prove without a doubt one way or the other! With that said it is just as probable as is improbable!! Ron
    Ron- and thats exactly my point with the blue stock. no one can prove that one way or the other either. but based on the tens of thousand of k98s known (none of which that i am aware of had war-time shellac applied) and zero accounts from any germans about having done this, it seems pretty reasonable to say it was done post war. please refer back to my post #14 as that is what i was trying to say.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  32. #77
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    But like I said above, though no one can prove what happened, though there is a .000001% chance that young Helmut did what he did, what is anyone that knows anything about K98s going to say when shown the AX?

    The finish ain't original.
    Live from the dawghouse.

  33. #78
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    One other thing Kursk. Say you are correct. Young Helmut, that was my Dad's name by the way, hid out in a German shellac factory sometime during the last weeks of the war. In there he decided to apply a coat of whatever to his trusty K 98. Now 68 years later lucky Razor get's Helmut's rifle, covered with a pretty damn shiny finish. Razor needs money for an emergency or to help put little Razor Jr. through college so he is going to try to sell this K 98 to a collector for big bucks. What is going to be the first words out of the collectors mouth.

    "Your asking to much for a rifle that doesn't have an original finish on it bub!"

    Don't believe me? Razor's getting a 41 AX for $1000 roughly, If everything is 100% correct what's it really worth? Deals like that just don't happen that much when dealing with your friendly LGS. I paid more for my best Sauer and it has issues.
    Let's stay on topic about possibilites of what was available to german soldiers, thank you.

  34. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post

    MG. You say it is a lost argument because you cannot understand "possibilites" of various coatings applied in the field? Really? Come on, just admit that there is a possibility that something other than motor oil was used in the field. You are smarter than those who cannot prove they didn't put shellac/varnish/anything other than oil on a rifle in the field, basement, barn, etc. etc. Keep in mind now that I never said they did any of this but rather that there were possibilities of it happening. Think about it and you'll see what I mean.

    Hell, look at all the people in the country that have rc k98s. Do you think that there is any chance at all that everyone who refinished an rc stock all used the same thing? Good grief.

    There were MILLIONS of these k98s made and there is nobody on this forum that can absolutely say that varnish or shellac was never applied to a k98 during the war in germany. I am SURE that if a stock was weathered and it needed to be coated with something to protect it then wood finishes that were abundant in a wood working/craftsmanship country like germany would have an array available in many locations. Get real.
    Listen guy, if you choose to live in fantasy world, that's your choice but stop feeding people nonsense. It's practically a fact that the OP's stock is either shellac or Varnish. A simple test with denatured alcohol will make it a straight up fact. "Possibilities" like you suggest have as much factual merit as "true lies". I'll admit that motor oil was not the only thing used, sure.... But that issue is covered in late war documentation and accounts from soldiers like sheepdog's father. Late war expedient measures consisted of motor oil, sunflower oil, etc. The common thing those expedient techniques share is the fact that they are all oils which seep into the "unfinished" stock. Did some soldiers rub dirt and mud onto a stock as well, I'm sure they did. Axle grease from a halftrack? I'm sure some did. Shellac and varnish was just something the Germans did not put on. Why? No documentation, no first hand accounts from soldiers, no legitimate closet untouched from the war examples with those types of finish on the stock.

    Another reason why they wouldn't.... The lack of availability of shellac and varnish in war torn Europe. I suppose you can say, if you play the possibility game, that a German soldat went into a Polish farmhouse in Krakow and found a can of shellac finish which he took and kept. Then he went to a Polish Jewish painter's (who was sent to Auschwitz CC) paint studio in Warsaw two months later and located a nice horse hair paintbrush and then preceded to sit down and make his k98k stock nice and shiney so the enemy can see him better. In his mind, he was saying "I want my stock to look just like the Soviet's mosin!" C'mon dude, let it go.

    Shellac and Varnish is post war. As you see on RC's that you mention and as everyone of us has seen in k98ks that have been used as hunting rifles post war. So you get real please and stop the nonsense. Your starting to sound like a "gun grabber" with this type of silly reasoning.

    If we are now going to move onto the "you can neither disprove it or prove it" territory.... Then lets throw GOD into the mix! You can't prove that he doesn't exist and I cannot prove to you that he does..... But in the k98k field your going to have a very hard time making people believe that a k98k has a wartime shellac or varnish finish applied on it. Good luck.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  35. #80
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
    Let's stay on topic about possibilites of what was available to german soldiers, thank you.
    What the hell have we been talking about for the last hour???? Stay on topic about possibilities???? I just put forth a situation that your whole case is centered around.

    My God mods shut it down
    Live from the dawghouse.

  36. #81
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdibbs88 View Post
    joking in the sense that the blue paint is obviously a rediculous post war addition.

    not joking in the fact that it is asinine to assert that the finish on either that rifle or the ax were field applied.

    lets say that even if in some parallel universe, the shellac were added by the german soldier, no one would believe it unless you had a video of the g.i. taking the shellac covered rifle off of a dead german, so really, this whole thread is pointless.
    Not even close dibbs. You were "sure" on many different replies that there was no possibility and now you say that it is actually "asinine" to think it is a possibility?

    So let me ask you the question that I raised in the begging (btw, i apologize to you for my insensitive responses, however, i would not have done that unless it was done to me first, ok?).

    Here's the question: Is it possible that a german soldier could have applied a non-factory finish to a k98 stock, that was getting weathered, during the war?

  37. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MauserGuy85 View Post
    Listen guy, if you choose to live in fantasy world, that's your choice but stop feeding people nonsense. It's practically a fact that the OP's stock is either shellac or Varnish. A simple test with denatured alcohol will make it a straight up fact. "Possibilities" like you suggest have as much factual merit as "true lies". I'll admit that motor oil was not the only thing used, sure.... But that issue is covered in late war documentation and accounts from soldiers like sheepdog's father. Late war expedient measures consisted of motor oil, sunflower oil, etc. The common thing those expedient techniques share is the fact that they are all oils which seep into the "unfinished" stock. Did some soldiers rub dirt and mud onto a stock as well, I'm sure they did. Axle grease from a halftrack? I'm sure some did. Shellac and varnish was just something the Germans did not put on. Why? No documentation, no first hand accounts from soldiers, no legitimate closet untouched from the war examples with those types of finish on the stock.

    Another reason why they wouldn't.... The lack of availability of shellac and varnish in war torn Europe. I suppose you can say, if you play the possibility game, that a German soldat went into a Polish farmhouse in Krakow and found a can of shellac finish which he took and kept. Then he went to a Polish Jewish painter's (who was sent to Auschwitz CC) paint studio in Warsaw two months later and located a nice horse hair paintbrush and then preceded to sit down and make his k98k stock nice and shiney so the enemy can see him better. In his mind, he was saying "I want my stock to look just like the Soviet's mosin!" C'mon dude, let it go.

    Shellac and Varnish is post war. As you see on RC's that you mention and as everyone of us has seen in k98ks that have been used as hunting rifles post war. So you get real please and stop the nonsense. Your starting to sound like a "gun grabber" with this type of silly reasoning.
    I refuse to read any more of your comments because, frankly, I just cannot see wasting my time on them.
    Everyone else, please bow to the mauser guy who is in fact a self-proclaimed 98 genius, been there to witness, and self-appointed to tell everyone else that what he says is gospel. I seem to remember back, not long ago, that you got a quick education on the boards about green glue stocks and the fact that they actually do exist. Ok, that's enough of that as we don't want to chop you down any more than we have to, wink wink.

  38. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Some original period finishes (IMO). 42 1939, byf41, and byf42. Last image is a well-carried 147 1940. They are oil based (probably linseed or flax), but I think the term varnish or lacquer could be applied. They can have a bit of a shine to them as well. Compare to the heavy resin varnish/shellac on the ax41, and I think you can see the difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StockRight2.jpg   tn_Stock Right.JPG   tn_Stock Right (2).jpg   tn_Bands Wood.jpg  

  39. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
    I refuse to read any more of your comments because, frankly, I just cannot see wasting my time on them.
    Everyone else, please bow to the mauser guy who is in fact a self-proclaimed 98 genius, been there to witness, and self-appointed to tell everyone else that what he says is gospel. I seem to remember back, not long ago, that you got a quick education on the boards about green glue stocks and the fact that they actually do exist. Ok, that's enough of that as we don't want to chop you down any more than we have to, wink wink.
    Lol, really now? This is what its come to?? That is your attempt at proving yourself right in this discussion? Personal jabs that are not even true???? Very silly on your part.

    I suggest you bring that thread up sir, since I'm the one who said I've seen them on dot stocks and even seen an orange glue on a Mauser Oberndorf stock.

    Edit: Just did it for you. Post #157 http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...e-stocks/page4

    Care to say again how I received a education on it??? Not only is your memory failing you, but you just don't know when to quit.
    Last edited by MauserGuy85; 02-15-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  40. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanE View Post
    Some original period finishes (IMO). 42 1939, byf41, and byf42. Last image is a well-carried 147 1940. They are oil based (probably linseed or flax), but I think the term varnish or lacquer could be applied. They can have a bit of a shine to them as well. Compare to the heavy resin varnish/shellac on the ax41, and I think you can see the difference.
    Great pics, all one had to do is compare the bolt cutout areas between all your examples and the OP's AX....
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  41. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
    So let me ask you the question that I raised in the begging (btw, i apologize to you for my insensitive responses, however, i would not have done that unless it was done to me first, ok?).
    im not interested in your apologies. you have quite the convenient memory as you are the one who started the decay of the thread. refer to you post #17, where you start the condescending attitude. before this everyone in every post was civil.

    btw, i provided evidence, as did Ryan, now im still waiting on yours.....
    Last edited by Bigdibbs88; 02-15-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

  42. #87
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mempho
    Posts
    596

    Default

    You know it is possible that a German soldier hid out in a dye factory and dyed the glue green MG85.

    How's that for staying on topic Kursk?
    Live from the dawghouse.

  43. #88
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    You know it is possible that a German soldier hid out in a dye factory and dyed the glue green MG85.

    How's that for staying on topic Kursk?
    Lol.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

    Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

    Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

  44. #89
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,890

    Default

    I really never saw this thread going downhill so fast so I didn't read it. Kursk, if you really think your behavior in this post is acceptable you are wrong. You really are egging this on, so I'm asking you to stop the banter. I'm closing this thread just because it's run its course.
    Karabiner98k Volume 1 now ready! This book covers the K98k rifle up to 1938! www.thirdpartypress.com
    Visit my site - www.latewar.com
    Check out the forum dedicated to the next volumes about the Kar98k rifle www.k98kforum.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •