Thread: Swiss Vetterli M78 Waffenfabrik Bern

Default Swiss Vetterli M78 Waffenfabrik Bern

Was at a pawn shop today in Chattanooga and found this M78 for sale for $150. Anybody interested? Is it a good deal? Just getting into older guns.

Those look good above a fireplace.
    Did someone say bore snake?

You would be better off asking in the swiss firearms area.
    As far as I can tell, and this is 100% off the internet, the price is about right. The gun is extremely hard to find any ammo for and its not simple to make your own either. You can supposedly convert them from their impossible to get ammo for rimfire to some sort of centerfire and roll your own that way. But, in general, because it is rimfire and obsolete, it is a poor choice for a first antique if you are looking for a shooter.

Its a shame as many of them are good looking at a good intro price.

Default Swiss Vetterli M78 Waffenfabrik Bern

If it is in good shape then it is a good deal.

A fun challenge to reload for. Involves conversion to center fire and reforming brass from other cartridges. Good project for the tinkerer. The reward is that it shoots incredibly well. I have been able to hold a respectable group when I had targets available at 300 yds. Reloading 320 gr soft lead cast bullets is very effective for splattering pumpkins.

Thanks for the input what center fire did you convert it to? Love the look of it. All numbers match. I haven't walked back in just don't want to be tempted with another rifle to add to the safe

its a .41 caliber round. The process is shown in a video .... but it was not clear (with no sound) what caliber he was cutting up to make the ammo. He probably says what he is doing if you have speakers, I do not have them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    If it is in good shape then it is a good deal.

A fun challenge to reload for. Involves conversion to center fire and reforming brass from other cartridges. Good project for the tinkerer. The reward is that it shoots incredibly well. I have been able to hold a respectable group when I had targets available at 300 yds. Reloading 320 gr soft lead cast bullets is very effective for splattering pumpkins.
    I'd have to say based on net prices being realized, it is a very good deal if not sporterized, etc. like it sounds like it isn't. But, as stated, a challenge for reloading. I think a number of people used spare bolts and stuff to make conversions but wonder how many of them are around. Actual ammo is VERY expensive and from what I've heard, are largely duds at this late date.

There is some demand for these rifles (limited but there) and if your maker is one of the more obscure ones, it could even be an exceptional deal, although the less common makers are probably in the 69/71 series of rifles.