Thread: The 1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt revolver

Default The 1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt revolver

I couldn't resist buying a very well worn 1909 Colt in .45 Colt USMC stamped on the butt, plus an old holster with it. The holster is not military but I think it may be from the thirties, not sure. I am not sure what it is worth but I paid $1100 dollars for this old New Service. I know it's not a S&W N frame, but being an old Marine I had to have it. I have my grandson show me how to put my photos on the net. I hope I didn't get burned to bad. gunny1 God Bless

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Well, the 1909 USMC guns were a small run - only 1,400. The grips were varnished and checkered walnut, and the grip frame profile is a bit smaller than other New Service revolver. If it is complete, even in "very well-worn" condition, I doubt you over-paid. Flayderman gives a value of$1250 in NRA Very good, and $4000 in Excellent. That is from 9th Edition (2007 printing) - prices haven't been declining in the past six years...
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Hello Gunny and welcome to the GunBoards forums. Due to the small amount of Colt M1909 New Service revolvers that were contracted for and property marked USMC I think you did very well. You got a nice piece of Marine history which you'll be able to enjoy and will only appreciate in value. Have it cleaned and inspected by a good gunsmith familiar with Colt revolver and then enjoy shooting it. I have 2 Colt New Service revolvers that are very nice shooters.
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

I don't think any of the 1909 military marked long Colts are found in good condition?marine or army?
    Joe

I guess I was lucky we cleaned it checked it out and shot it with cowboy loads (I don't want to shoot hot loads in a hundred year old handgun). The handgun has no interior pits. The outside looks a little rough. It shoots great. Shooting is my game of golf, I collect to go back in history. gunny1

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by english View Post
    I don't think any of the 1909 military marked long Colts are found in good condition?marine or army?
    Joe
    Yeah, some are found in VG or better states of preservation. but most show every sign of having been much used in sub-optimum conditions.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Default Colt 1909 cartridge

The original 45 Colt US Govt Model 1909 cartridge had the rim enlarged by about .030 inch to assure a more postive extraction from the Colt swing-out cylinder. This was a problem when using these 1909 cartridges in the Colt single action, as every other chamber could only be loaded !

I have seen some nice Colt Model 1909 revolvers but some have had the rear part of the cylinder machined-off to use the 45 ACP

cartridges in photo: left 45 Smith & Wesson /45 Colt Govt middle 45 Colt black powder far right 45 Colt Model 1909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010015_0014.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	639615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p1010017_0016.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	639616