Gunboards Forums banner

The 1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt revolver

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RS 
#1 ·
I couldn't resist buying a very well worn 1909 Colt in .45 Colt USMC stamped on the butt, plus an old holster with it. The holster is not military but I think it may be from the thirties, not sure. I am not sure what it is worth but I paid $1100 dollars for this old New Service. I know it's not a S&W N frame, but being an old Marine I had to have it. I have my grandson show me how to put my photos on the net. I hope I didn't get burned to bad. gunny1 God Bless

#2 ·
Well, the 1909 USMC guns were a small run - only 1,400. The grips were varnished and checkered walnut, and the grip frame profile is a bit smaller than other New Service revolver. If it is complete, even in "very well-worn" condition, I doubt you over-paid. Flayderman gives a value of$1250 in NRA Very good, and $4000 in Excellent. That is from 9th Edition (2007 printing) - prices haven't been declining in the past six years...

#3 ·
Hello Gunny and welcome to the GunBoards forums. Due to the small amount of Colt M1909 New Service revolvers that were contracted for and property marked USMC I think you did very well. You got a nice piece of Marine history which you'll be able to enjoy and will only appreciate in value. Have it cleaned and inspected by a good gunsmith familiar with Colt revolver and then enjoy shooting it. I have 2 Colt New Service revolvers that are very nice shooters.

#5 ·
I guess I was lucky we cleaned it checked it out and shot it with cowboy loads (I don't want to shoot hot loads in a hundred year old handgun). The handgun has no interior pits. The outside looks a little rough. It shoots great. Shooting is my game of golf, I collect to go back in history. gunny1

#7 ·
Colt 1909 cartridge

The original 45 Colt US Govt Model 1909 cartridge had the rim enlarged by about .030 inch to assure a more postive extraction from the Colt swing-out cylinder. This was a problem when using these 1909 cartridges in the Colt single action, as every other chamber could only be loaded !

I have seen some nice Colt Model 1909 revolvers but some have had the rear part of the cylinder machined-off to use the 45 ACP

cartridges in photo: left 45 Smith & Wesson /45 Colt Govt middle 45 Colt black powder far right 45 Colt Model 1909

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.