Default SKS Jungle Stocks

Were these actually used overseas? Is there any authenication of use, or are just a hype in the US to use these? Any eye witness of these in actual use?

Yes indeedy they were used overseast in Viet Nam. The wood stocks rotted so bad that they went to the plastic jungle stocks, at least by the NVA. I saw wood rifles that rotted off at the wrist and had rags wrapped around the stub. The incursion into Laos turned up lots of the jungle stocked SKSs.

HTH
    Last edited by arcom the first; 03-05-2013 at 09:50 AM. Reason: speling

I have never seen a single bringback in a phenolic so called "jungle stock". Nor have I seen any Vietnam period correct pictures of that stock type or heard any vets documenting them. I saw a good sampling of various captured SKS and other rifles during my tour in the 25th Infantry Division in the III Corps area and in Cambodia. I never witnessed one of those stocks. That is my experience and observations.
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 03-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.

I did not think they were actually used over there. Just made for commercial sales.
    “A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
    The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”
    —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

GOOOOOO NAVY! 1995-Current

I think they were made for a reason other then commercial sales since they were sold fairly cheap in bulk military packaging. Whether they actually made it in time for VN service might be debated but it is my guess is they were a reaction to lessons they learned in VN.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

+1., military and cheaper newer technology in the 1970's and 80's much like the polymer stocks of today.
    But in reality wood holds up fine in the tropics as long as it is handled and used. Wood stocked Mausers, SKS and Mosin Nagants, British Enfields and AK's have been used in wet, rainy areas for many, many decades and in some cases for over a hundred years.

Does any company sell these now? Wouldn't mind getting one of the fixer chinese rifles and putting one on.
    Happiness is a warm barrel, plenty of ammo, and the smell of gunpowder in the air!

"Keep your powder dry!"

I have never seen a single bringback in a phenolic so called "jungle stock". Nor have I seen any Vietnam period correct pictures of that stock type or heard any vets documenting them. I saw a good sampling of various captured SKS and other rifles during my tour in the 25th Infantry Division in the III Corps area and in Cambodia. I never witnessed one of those stocks. That is my experience and observations. Last edited by AKBLUE; Yesterday at 06:38 PM.

This is exactly my thoughts from observations in I, III and IV Corps experience with
    101st and RVN Rangers.

I bought one with VN capture papers out of a large collection back in 1997. The papers were non standard and I was never able to verify them. And even if the papers were valid, without them stating in the description "plastic stock" or something similar, it did not mean that that stock was on the rifle in country. The rifle had many more questions than answers and I finally sold it a couple of years ago. I still have an open mind on the subject tho.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGun View Post
    Does any company sell these now? Wouldn't mind getting one of the fixer chinese rifles and putting one on.
    Board Sponsor Rick Reich sells them.

KYGun - Here's one of my early projects for comparison:
    PS - This one is right out of the urban jungle

I don't need papers to validate the question of plastic stocks used in VN War, just need some vet who was there and saw one with it on a SKS. Problem is most vets who were there , age 18 to 25 for the most part, were not into guns or SKS at the time and were not paying attention to details like stocks. SKS captured or found in a cache all looked the same. However, some of us were gun oriented and did scope out captured enemy weapons for details. Hope we find a vet that did and can talk to the plastic stock answer.

VN was a situational and regional perspective. I saw 98K, MAS 36, No1mkIII Enfields, M44 Mosins, Garands, M3 grease guns, M1/M2 carbines, P38 and TT## 33 pistols, SKS and AK (Chicom and Russian). However, I never saw a Makorov, 91/30, PU sniper, Luger, SVD. I was aware of SVD and Makorov being captured during Easter Offensive in 1972 at the time but none came into my direct view / grasp (dammit).
    Other vets and documented photos validate PU snipers were there, Lugers and 91/30 and G43 rifles. Lots of stuff floating around but not everywhere.

Case in point: Afghanistan. Who would have believed one would find a Canadian Bren Gun carrier there? Well in 2006, I did: Canadian, made by Ford in 1943 and serial number off plate indicated it was Lend Lease to Soviets in 1943. How it got there outside Kabul on the way to Ghardez would be a interesting tale .

There are numerous pictures of captured weapons from Vietnam., including individual and cache quantity SKS rifles. I have never seen one depicting a phenolic stock. Nor seen a documented bringback with a phenolic stock. Not all conclusive but pretty strong evidence.
    Certainly a lot of different weapons types were used, captured and photographed and brought back.., and I have pictures of several varieties myself. I have just never witnessed a bonified "jungle stock" personally while in country or in pics from VN or at a show with provenance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    There are numerous pictures of captured weapons from Vietnam., including individual and cache quantity SKS rifles. I have never seen one depicting a phenolic stock. Nor seen a documented bringback with a phenolic stock. Not all conclusive but pretty strong evidence.
    Certainly a lot of different weapons types were used, captured and photographed and brought back.., and I have pictures of several varieties myself. I have just never witnessed a bonified "jungle stock" personally while in country or in pics from VN or at a show with provenance etc.
    I have seen a fair number of SKS rifles with papers, but have never seen one with a phenolic stock. I do have several rifles in my collection that have phenolic stocks, including a stamped receiver specimen. The stocks could have been changed out at some time after manufacture, but from the looks of them, they have been on the rifles for a long time. I also know that rifles were imported with phenolic stocks, for I have talked to people who took them right out of the crate. I have one specimen that I am sure was manufactured with a phenolic stock. I recently sent a batch of photos to Yooper to put on his site. I do not know if he has added them yet. The stock is serial numbered to the gun and it has some unusual striations molded in to help afford a better grasp, like checkering would do on a wood rifle. Howie located a similar rifle and sent me photos of it.

the old advertisements always say the red plastic resin stocks were made for Vietnam, but maybe they were made for the PLA for use in tropical areas? thats why you never see any from Vietnam?

they could have made them especially for PLA units operating in Southern provinces, maybe they were never intended for VN thats why you never see a captured one with a plastic stock

I think it's mostly "Hype" or rumors to make it seem like the red stocks are something rare and unusual to increase sales
    Last edited by BOLO; 03-06-2013 at 02:03 PM.

The whole jungle stock story does not ring true. Wooden stocked military firerams have been used in the tropics for well over 100 years without spontaneously rotting in ones hands etc. Mausers, SMLE, SKS, AK., etc., etc. Modern firearms are polymer for ease of production, uniformity, lighter weight and durability.., not to retard rotting.
    Last edited by AKBLUE; 03-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Not one person on this forum are any other forum has a picture of a Pre 1975 SKS with a plastic stock in use in RVN,Cambodia are Laos.Plastic stocks were unheard of until the Chi Com imports hit in the 80s.Any other story is BS.Semper Fi,terry RVN 67/69.

it is true that red plastic stocks were imported and sold separatly and some sks were imported with these red plastic stocks all post VN war. arcom the first says they were used in laos during the VN war (see above). Before any imports were allowed, i did see an sks with a black (not painted over but made black) phenolic stock in condition consistent with the VN bring back SKS. there was no paper but this was well before any sks were imported and the only ones were VN bring backs. The seller said he brought it back. It was too expensive for me at the time and i did not buy it. I have no reason to doubt arcom the first statement above. it is consistent with my single pre import observation. I have several rotted wood stocks from VN and some with paper. i have no doubt that the conditions in VN did rot out some stocks, or, some wepons were hidden underwater as has been documented, causing the wood to rot. many vets only have their observations to the limited time and place they were there. their observations are correct, but only for the time and place they were there. I was also told by a chinese importer that the plastic stocks were made for Vietnam, but few made it before the chinese cut off aid. We have all learned recently of new sks variations that were never seen before, i.e. original military chinese laminated sks stocks. never say never.
    Last edited by sksguide; 03-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.

I'm not sure that never is the descriptive word vs unlikely, undocumented and unseen..
    Of course a buried or abandoned fireram of any type will soon deteriorate. Wood, metal and magazine parts exposed to weather etc. No secret there. A wooden stock firearm in use or under cover in the tropics can last over 100 years.
    Of more importance are the metal parts as they are the operating system vs the stock.

Two anecdotal stories among the thousands of pictures, bringbacks, personal captures and sightings. Have to say none documented in VN AFAIK.

Do these stocks fit early ('65 and before) Chicoms? Ones with the long collar and other Soviet-style features?

In my observations of bring back SKS rifles I note that some exhibit a lot of deterioration of the wood due to moist conditions. Water runs down inside the stock and tends to pool, especially around the recoil bolt, causing wood there to soften and rot. The whole recoil bolt then is loose in the stock causing the action to be loose. The rifle may still function, but certainly not as well. The rusting of the metal in contact of the wood will cause the wood to turn black in this area. I do not know if the ferric oxide has an additional deteriorating effect on the wood, but it might. The phenolic stocks certainly would address the issue of rot. Also some wood stock weapons retrieved from tunnels exhibit termite damage. It would take a termite with extremely hard teeth to do much damage to phenolics. I recall having heard a story about an AK-47 that was used during the 68 Tet offensive in the fight at the American embassy that had the wood parts totally eaten away by termites. I do not remember the source of the story, but would make an interesting anecdote, if true. Also quite a few captured SKS rifles have been found that have hand-made replacement stocks, some of them being teak. The teak stocked guns are quite a bit heavier than normal, due to the density of teak.

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    Do these stocks fit early ('65 and before) Chicoms? Ones with the long collar and other Soviet-style features?
    Yes. The one I had was a 7million serial number range.

There are two types of these stocks, one for the pinned barrel and the other for threaded barrel versions, you have to make sure you have the right stock for the type of firearm you have.

SKS NUT :

Lets see if I get this right: You the civilian see a undocumented non papered SKS in the USA with the plastic stock and you surmise it came from VN war but we vets never seen one like that in country and our conclusions are waived as immaterial. There were 4 Corps areas in South Viet Nam, I was in 3 of four: no plastic stock SKS. I was in Cambodia and Laos too: no plastic stock SKS seen.

But you saw a black non wood stock on a SKS in the USA and conclude plastic stocks were used in VN War.

So, okay but answer me this: Since we went there, where the hell were you ? In my book, you don't have a vote if you did not show up for the fight. Nothing personal here , just stating the obvious. Maybe not even born yet ? Oh.... that makes you really an expert on SKS used in that war.

You are totally misreading my posts. I did not see a undocumented non-papered SKS in the USA with a plastic stock, and since I did not see it, I also did not surmise that it came from Vietnam. Nowhere did I state that I know or assume that these stocks were used in Vietnam. Get your story right before you explode. As for age, it is a very good possibility that I am older than you, and I am certain I have more experience regarding SKS rifles than you do. Sure you can attack me for not having been in Vietnam, but where were you during WW2? You do not have to be in uniform to experience the hardships of war. Civilian in a war zone many times fare far worse than the soldiers. BTW, I sincerely thank you for your service!!

BTW sksguide wrote of seeing an SKS with a black plastic stock before any SKS rifles were imported. He did not state that he knew it came from Vietnam, only that this was before the SKS rifles were imported. sksguide is a well-respected student of the SKS rifle, a very talented historian, and may also be older than you.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    There are two types of these stocks, one for the pinned barrel and the other for threaded barrel versions, you have to make sure you have the right stock for the type of firearm you have.
    I know there's a thinner, cheap-feeling type and a more solid phenolic stock. Is the thinner one for the pinned and vice-versa, or is it not that simple?

also some have a short narrow groove for the folding blade bayonet and some have the long wider groove for the spike style bayonet.

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    also some have a short narrow groove for the folding blade bayonet and some have the long wider groove for the spike style bayonet.
    That's probably the easiest way to tell which one will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by sksnut View Post
    You are totally misreading my posts. I did not see a undocumented non-papered SKS in the USA with a plastic stock, and since I did not see it, I also did not surmise that it came from Vietnam. Nowhere did I state that I know or assume that these stocks were used in Vietnam. Get your story right before you explode. As for age, it is a very good possibility that I am older than you, and I am certain I have more experience regarding SKS rifles than you do. Sure you can attack me for not having been in Vietnam, but where were you during WW2? You do not have to be in uniform to experience the hardships of war. Civilian in a war zone many times fare far worse than the soldiers. BTW, I sincerely thank you for your service!!

BTW sksguide wrote of seeing an SKS with a black plastic stock before any SKS rifles were imported. He did not state that he knew it came from Vietnam, only that this was before the SKS rifles were imported. sksguide is a well-respected student of the SKS rifle, a very talented historian, and may also be older than you.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    SKS NUT :

Lets see if I get this right: You the civilian see a undocumented non papered SKS in the USA with the plastic stock and you surmise it came from VN war but we vets never seen one like that in country and our conclusions are waived as immaterial. There were 4 Corps areas in South Viet Nam, I was in 3 of four: no plastic stock SKS. I was in Cambodia and Laos too: no plastic stock SKS seen.

But you saw a black non wood stock on a SKS in the USA and conclude plastic stocks were used in VN War.

So, okay but answer me this: Since we went there, where the hell were you ? In my book, you don't have a vote if you did not show up for the fight. Nothing personal here , just stating the obvious. Maybe not even born yet ? Oh.... that makes you really an expert on SKS used in that war.
    actually you have berrated the wrong post . I, sksguide, posted some of the above information. I offered that information and did not draw a conclusion.reread my post
    i have shared some information that i had. Thats all. I do not understand your hostility. i certainly thank you and every vet from that war for your service. i hope you get some help for your anger.

Not hostility, just accepting inept conclusions

Never saw a synthetic stock in my time.

I did see lots of heavily used M!s, carbines, and BARs, + some French stuff that did not appear to have rotted very much.

These all got very wet and even submerged a lot during the rainy season.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Not hostility, just accepting inept conclusions
    I think more of an apology is in order to the one you mistakenly attacked would of been in order...

All of this over a lousy SKS stock. LMFAO!!
    Renounced NRA Lifer

An armed civilian is a citizen.
    A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM