Thread: M44 stock replacement options

Default M44 stock replacement options

I have a M44 Mosin with a hopelessly broken and busted-up stock and have sought a replacement off and on for years, without success. I don't want one of the plastic commercial replacement stock as they cost more than I spent buying the rifle, and well, they just don't look right.

Lately I have seen plenty of M91-30 stocks available and am wondering, could one of those be cut and reassembled with relative ease, well enough to use it on my currently-useless M44? Normally I would not even consider cutting on a Mosin stock BUT to me, there are more than enough 91-30 takeoff stocks available to fit the bill here without destroying anything meaningful. I just want to be able to shoot the rifle without spending a whole lot.

My brother is a cabinet-maker and could handle any cutting/splicing/joinery/fitting involved in making a 91-30 stock into a M44 stock. I would very much like to hear from someone who's done this, learn how they did it and even see photos if the guy who's done this (I bet someone has) happens to read this thread.

There's one on ebay right now, labeled as just a Mosin Nagant stock. No mention of it being an M44 stock.

Google these websites: Liberty tree collectors, Numrich gun parts, Apex gun parts, buymilsurp.com. I know 100% when I bought my M44 last month there were TONS of replacement parts on those websites INCLUDING brand NEW M44 barrels for sale....good luck senor.

I just got one from Numrich to use on my Type 53. It isn't perfect but for a used stock it worked out fine.

The one I received from Numrich is as good as any I have on rearsenaled rifles.
    It is mathematically impossible for everyone to be above average......

Plenty of M44 stocks show up on eBay all the time. Each represents one more Bubbaed rifle and a bit more value to each surviving original...

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I checked Numrich, $61.75 for the stock with handguard. I don't need the handguard, and the price is $21.75 more than I paid for the rifle! (It was a Century U-Fix-Em) eBay is not my favorite place to shop, and I thought they forbade gun stuff (they kicked out the G3 mags I listed there a few years ago) but I guess I'll check there next. Thanks again.

One last person / place you may want to check with is Rick Reich. He has tons of Mosin items. I forgrt how I got a hold of him, but about a year ago I purchased some misc hard to find items from him with no problems whatsoever. Google Rick Reich or ReichTrade.