Thread: savage 99 in 300 savage

Default savage 99 in 300 savage

A friend of mine is in the market for a new plastic pistol, and asked me for some advice. When I was talking to him, he said he didnt have much cash, but had several guns his dad left him that he had never shot, and asked if I could help him sell them to raise money for a hi cap pistol, in light of the current political climate. He tells me he knows nothing about guns, and will bring them to me to look at. He shows up and has a nice k98 sporter, a savage 99, and an old single barrel 20ga.
    I know a fair amount about firearms, but nothing more than what wikipedia says about the 99. I would have called it very good condition, aside from a good size scratch in the bluing on the side of the receiver that looks like it came from maybe the front site of another gun sliding down the side of it as it was leaning against soemthing. I guess that would make it "good" condition. He hasnt fired it, and has had it for over 30 yrs. No scope or mounts that I can remember, but will have to double check. It looks like a really neat gun, and if I had the cash, I would try to make a deal with him, but alas, I do not.

I guess the question is what is the thing worth? He has a half a box of ammo from the 70s that he gave me with it, and asked me to sell it for him so he can get a modern pistol.

Thanks for any help.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

What standard are you using for condition? If NRA Modern, a single scratch down one side of the receiever wouldn't normally take a gun that would grade VG to G.

There are a number of variations of the Savage 99, including date (determinable from S/N), that impact valuation, but I'd expect $500 +/- $250 depending from what I've seen of late. others may have different views and have seen different numbers. Will note i haven't seen many 99s the last few fun shows i've visited.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

I concur with Clyde's remarks.
    The 300 Savage cartridge was introduced about 1920, so presumptively your rifle is of manufacture since. It can be further said that the chambering is perhaps the most common one in the 99. Yet there were both differing sub-models and grades and such can materially affect value. Should the rifle be anything unusual/collectible and/or otherwise pristine, then that scratch might be a material factor. Otherwise likely not in what would presumably just be a nice quality hunting rifle. Any of the 99 models in decent condition are good guns and have value. Photos best, but nomenclature on the barrel, barrel length, stock style, serial number, etc would offer considerable data for an informed response.
    My take.

I see used Model 99's mostly in the 550.00 and up range. They are a respected, quality rifle. If the guy wasn't your friend, I would suggest offering maybe 350.00. Some Model 99's can be very collectable. Trouble is, they made the rifle for a hundred years with many variants. Some are more valuable. You might want to learn more about it so each of you gets a fair deal.

The 99 as manufactured from the 1920's up into the 1960's is a quality rifle. In the 1960's they introduced the 99E which had a hardwood stock and is priced lower. The 99F and the 99EG are most commonly seen in my area, checkered walnut stocks, rotary magazine etc. The 99F has a 22 inch barrel while the EG had a 24 inch barrel, I think. Check out the tang area for cracks, a common fault in 99's. The F and the EG model seem to go for between $350 and $500 here, about $100 more chambered in .308 instead of .300 Savage. No flies on the .300 as a hunting rifle, it will do anything a .308 will do though handloaders don't like the short case neck much. There is a book called THE 99 by Douglas Murray that gives an excellent breakdown of the 99 models and years of manufacture, not really expensive with a lot of info.

There is a lever boss code on the 99's starting around 1949 (approx) it is a letter in an oval stamp and very light on the receiver lever boss, it
    was done at the factory and you can tell the year it was made. Mine is D which is 1952, I saw J which is 1958. Also Savage was at Chicopee Falls from 1946 to 1960 and barrels will have the Chicopee Falls marking

I passed on a 99 Savage in 303 caliber at a flea market a couple of weeks ago. It was quite old and in fairly good condition. Man was asking $475. I thought it was too high until I went home and looked up asking prices on various online sites. Nice old Savages are going for much more than $475. depending on the configuration of Cal. etc.

So I finally got around to getting it out of the case for a closer inspection. I underestimated the condition. Most of what I thought was scratch was just dirt in a small scratch. I have found a few blemishes in the wood, handling marks I guess, but over all, I would call it very good after a thorough cleaning, which I just don't have time to do for him.

It is marked Chicopee falls, and has a sn of 5785xx. I don t see and letter designation anywhere near the lever. The lever looks case hardened, with the swirl of color very pretty. It could be patina or age though. I don't know the year of manufacture, as the sn lists I found don't seem to include these numbers. The guy only wants a nice wonder nine, and would swap it straight up, but I I don't think that would be fair to him. I got an offer of 450 today, so I took it to him to today, since the pistol he is looking at is that price. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

There is also a 238 or 23B maybe in an oval just down from the serial number, between the lever and sn. I has what looks like a shotgun type stock.

Who is John Galt?

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by shucks View Post
    So I finally got around to getting it out of the case for a closer inspection. I underestimated the condition. Most of what I thought was scratch was just dirt in a small scratch. I have found a few blemishes in the wood, handling marks I guess, but over all, I would call it very good after a thorough cleaning, which I just don't have time to do for him.

It is marked Chicopee falls, and has a sn of 5785xx. I don t see and letter designation anywhere near the lever. The lever looks case hardened, with the swirl of color very pretty. It could be patina or age though. I don't know the year of manufacture, as the sn lists I found don't seem to include these numbers. The guy only wants a nice wonder nine, and would swap it straight up, but I I don't think that would be fair to him. I got an offer of 450 today, so I took it to him to today, since the pistol he is looking at is that price. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys
    I show 568,000 as the last S/N for 1950, so after 1950, probably early 1950s. An early '50s 99 in 300 Savage in VG condition (assuming NRA Modern Arms is the standard used for that) ought to bring at least $500 IMO.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)