Thread: 1945 Enfield No 5 MK1 ROF (F)

Default 1945 Enfield No 5 MK1 ROF (F)

I walked in to my local pawn shop this morning and walked out with this No 5 MK1 ROF (F) and lighter in my wallet by $350.00.

It looks correct and is matching with the exception of the mag which is a Savage mag. It's aged the same as the rest of the exposed metal so I figure it's been in it quite a while. Meh....Can't have everything. All the lighting cuts are where they are supposed to be. Wartime stock with the proper cuts and proper length handguard.

There are no import markings on it but there are Brit export markings. The export proof date is 1950. The wrist is marked England along with a broad arrow proof.. I don't know if the wrists on these were marked or not. If so it must have been scrubbed but it don't look like it.

I don't know what is up with a white W (or M depending on how you look at it) painted on top the barrel just infront of the receiver.

As a bonus I got two flavors of house paint splatter on it this one, brown and white. A cob-web under the rear sight too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails #5 F 005.JPG   #5 F 004.jpg   #5 F 002.jpg   #5 F 001.jpg   #5 F 008.jpg   #5 F 009.jpg  

"Senator, don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

Looks very original to me! NICE FIND!! And you got it for cheap! I could only wish to find a rifle like yours'. Hollow bolt handle knob and the furniture looks very nice and original! I'd be VERY happy to find one like yours'! The cob web is an added bonus in my view, it speaks of the originality and the time it just sat waiting for you to take it over and do it justice with a thorough cleaning.

Not bad at all and at a 5 year old price tag to boot. If you hadn't grabbed it the very next guy surely would have.

The draws don't look very worn down either, at least to my eyes they don't. Any cracks to the wood? That splattered house paint I see as being 'patina' ! It is a testament to the rifles' history.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    The draws don't look very worn down either, at least to my eyes they don't. Any cracks to the wood? That splattered house paint I see as being 'patina' ! It is a testament to the rifles' history.
    No cracks I can see. There is a crisp S stamped into the wood (not a Savage boxed S) about 1.5" from the end of the forestock. It's the only marking I've found on the wood though I forgot to look inside when I had it apart. It does not look to have been sanded.

Sort of odd but instead of the Brit export proofs being on the Knox Form like most I've seen they are stamped on the top of the barrel just forward of the hand guard.

Any idea of that painted mark (W or M) on the Knox Form?

Quote Originally Posted by 1srelluc View Post
    1. There are no import markings on it but there are Brit export markings. 2. The export proof date is 1950. 3. The wrist is marked England along with a broad arrow proof..
    Just a few comments.

1. Can't be a "British export marking" because we don't have 'em.
    2. That is the date that it was Proofed in Birmingham (BNP = Birmingham Nitro Proof). Nothing to do with whether it was exported or not. It is a legal requirement in the UK for the non-Government sale of all firearms.
    3. The country of origin, "England" was a requirement of the US Government and thus is an import mark.

A very nice rifle.
    "a rifle should be kept in every cottage in the land."

3. The country of origin, "England" was a requirement of the US Government and thus is an import mark.
    Thank You! I'm always glad when someone else besides me points out that little tidbit. Since the current regs were put into place during the 80's, the "import marking" issue has taken on a whole new perspective in regard to sales and collectability. People taking it upon themselves to redefine what is a mark and what isn't, then reclassifying said markings to suit their desires.
    Can't blame everyone though since the scuttlebutt has been running rampant for so long. I never had a problem with most US import markings same as I never had a problem with British proof house or sold from service marks.
    The large "billboard markings" are an eyesore though and has stopped me from buying an average specimen more than once. Still don't own any with the graffiti on board.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    ..... I never had a problem with most US import markings same as I never had a problem with British proof house or sold from service marks.
    The large "billboard markings" are an eyesore though and has stopped me from buying an average specimen more than once. Still don't own any with the graffiti on board.
    Same here, I simply won't buy a mil-surp with a billboard. I'd rather pay the premium (if necessary) for none or at the very least the small under the barrel types.

Interdasting point about the England mark. I did not know it was a requirment of the US .gov, I just thought it was something the Brits did as a matter of course.

That said the England mark was applied in Britian and not stateside. I am fortunate enough to have helped out a fairly large importer of Brit weapons back in the day and the mil-surps were already stamped England when we got them in.

That was the time of the almost micro-stamp import mark.....Life was good.

Would you like to sell the savage mag or maybe trade it for a No.4 mag?