Gunboards Forums banner

Turkish 38/46 Short Rifle. Picked it up today.

7K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Ronbo6 
#1 · (Edited)
Found one at a local gunstore priced at $100 even. Hasn't been bubba'd at all, bore looks unfired. Stock looks like it has a thin coat of shellac with the rack number of 14. It's marked K.Kale 1945. Good deal?

I picked it up today, only real problem with it is that the a small setback in the recoil lug has knocked out a couple small chunk of wood. Bore is pretty much brand new, nothing except the barrel, sights and receiver match, stock maybe original to it. Did the Turks use shellac on their rifles?

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Yes! Buy it! http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?304668-Just-picked-up-a-38-46

I took mine to the range with gunhorde and the bore looks quite impressive after 40 rounds. Blew out a lot of gunk in the groves. A little rounded on top, but well pronounced and sharp lands. Quite the fire ball, and a real nice shooter.

For $100, if it looks as good as you say, I don't think you can go wrong.

#11 ·
Kirikkale Short Rifle, ,made 1945, so it cannot be a "38/46"!!!! ( who-ever thought up that designation had no clue.!). K'Kale SRs were made from 1944 to 1946, about 15,000 made all up on this period.

There are also several other "Short Rifles" in the Turkish Inventory: The M1903/37SR, the M98/37 SR, the
M98a/37SR, and a second series of M98/38 SR These are all in 7,9mm; There are also others, such as the M88/05/2x? SR, and some 7,65mm M1903/2x?SR as well. Finally there is the Post-War refurbished Kar98k (SR) fitted with underneath sling swivels. ( German Interned Rifles, 1944-45).

All the SRs are relatively rare, as only 5,000 to 15,000 of each variety were made (AFAIK, from Serial # surveys on Parallax Curio & Relic Turkish Board)

Regards,
Doc AV

#15 ·
Had a similar issue with my k98. I pushed the piece of wood back into place that was sheared off by the setback of the cross bolt. Then I used a drill press to drill a small hole cross ways through the realigned wood. I then pushed epoxy into the hole followed by a small machine bolt and tightened it all together with a nut on the opposite side of the stock. I then drilled two vertical holes through the wood just in front of the new cross bolt and screwed two small wood screws in vertically under the barrel lug between the new crossbolt and the recoil cross bolt to cinch the wood together in the opposite direction. Hasn't moved again yet. The cross bolt may be a little unsightly but I thank it will definitely stay put now. Can see the new cross bolt in these photos.

#18 ·
The cross bolt may be a little unsightly but I thank it will definitely stay put now. Can see the new cross bolt in these photos. View attachment 654518 View attachment 654519
Sorry, but its overkill. The problem isn't the original crossbolt but the wood around it. I'd guess the wood right around the original crossbolt is soft and maybe rotting and some thin epoxy like GitsRot would cure it, along with bedding the recoil lug in Accraglas.

#16 ·
I think the 38/46 designation for the 38 Short rifle came from Olsons "Mauser bolt Rifles".At the time I belive there was only 1 Short rifle in an collection in Ohio that was used for the Picture in Olsons book.I think it is dated 1946 ,Hence the designation at the time.This was all before the other books and internet so it was only "Mauser bolt rifles" as the Main reference at the time.I have seen the Short rifle in Olsons book in person and it is New-brand new.This was also before any Of the 38 turkish rifles started to come in or any of the "38/46 or 38 SR were imported.I have a lot of respect for Doc's vast knoweldge and Olsons book but just my .02 on where the 38/46 came from.Nice rifle,BTW,there are no 100 anythings now Mauser or Mosin Nagant.Check out the Turk mauser website for more great info on Receivers,barrels and all things Turk mauser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.