Thread: Restoration of C96 Mauser?

Default Restoration of C96 Mauser?

Are there any gun shops that can do restorations on C96 Mauser pistols?

I recall a gentleman several years ago named, "Thor" who was on the Yahoo groups forum that did restorations but I haven't heard from that group in years.

Basically looking for a surface refinsh, new springs and a general checking over. (Safety isn't working properly.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Serial number is: 900817
    Appears to have been originally in 7.63 (Stamped on bottom of trigger guard but is stamped "9mm" on left side near ejection port.)
    Last edited by MI35D; 03-24-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Updated Information

THOR is a member of the http://www.lugerforum.com/
    and still does great work.

Is the Broom Closet in Starke FL still in business?

I have a couple non-Broomhandle restoration candidates.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Fushigi Ojisan View Post

Don't find a web-site for them. Phone is, per a post on ak47.net in Feb 2012, 904-964-5053. Guess it wouldn't hurt to venture call...
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Also saw, "www.lugerman.com".

Any comments as to the quality of work?

Guy's in this group have used the Broom Closet

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/C96_Forum/

Quote Originally Posted by MI35D View Post
    Also saw, "www.lugerman.com".

Any comments as to the quality of work?

Lugerman is a menber of this forum also and you can read comments on his work there.
    Just do a search for his "lugerman" name.
    http://www.lugerforum.com/

The broom closet still does Broom reworks /refinishing..Contact them via phone ..they are discussed on the C96_forum Yahoo groups..

They relined/rechambered an Astra broomhandle for me maybe about four years ago. The thing was completely shot out - no rifling in the bore and the chamber was so badly jugged that you could only extract fired cases with difficulty. They turned it back into a shooter for me, so I was pleased. Price was very reasonable - less than $100 including return shipping. I only put a couple of boxes of my own reloads through it since, so I can't comment on the long-term viability of the job, but good so far. They did not have a website - I had to call or write to get a description of their services and prices.

I just recieved back my 1930 C-96 which was relined and rehabed by the broom closet/ the gun rack in Starke Florida. The owner describes his service as a rehabilitation rather than a restoration. I am very pleased with the work. All springs were replaced and the finish was redone from a gray patina to a correct salt blue and nitrate blue, on small parts. His price was very reasonable and I would recommend his work for anyone who wants a shooter with a good bore and original appearence. Regards,
    Aim small, mis small.
    B. Mason

I'm thinking of having "rehabilitation" done on two non-Broomhadle pistols that are rust-free but have little remaining finish left.

One is a Langenhan Selbstlader and the other is a later Franz Stock that came out of Arizona.

I know the addage "refinish = 0% original fiinish" but these things are maybe 5-10% finish left anyway.

Should I go for it or not?

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I'm thinking of having "rehabilitation" done on two non-Broomhadle pistols that are rust-free but have little remaining finish left.

One is a Langenhan Selbstlader and the other is a later Franz Stock that came out of Arizona.

I know the addage "refinish = 0% original fiinish" but these things are maybe 5-10% finish left anyway.

Should I go for it or not?
    Hard-core collectors would rather have them ratty looking than refurbished. But you'll almost certainly enjoy having them, looking at them, and handling them with a decent refurbishment and refinish And you'll find it easier to get them sold to somebody who doesn't have the bucks for a pretty original but wants a nice looking piece instead of a ratty one when the time comes. That at least has been what I've mostly seen.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)