Default 455 Webley reloading

I just picked up a Webley 455 MkVI revolver that I'm looking for cases, dies, and bullets or a mould. Used items would be fine as I'm not planning on shooting it alot
    I'm wondering if you can use Long Colt dies for sizing the 455 cases as I have those dies, If so I wouldn't have to buy dies then. Thanks, Ray

Decapping and resizing would probably be OK, but you may find that the neck expanding die, and the bullet seating/crimping die are too long, and will not reach the neck of the shorter .455 case.

It looks like you might be able to get by using a .45 Long Colt die to resize the cases, but the LC case diameter is about 4 thousandths of an inch bigger than the .455 case at the neck. Depending upon how tight your chambers are, it might or might not work.

It may be easier to find a used set of .45ACP dies for pretty cheap at a gun show, and use those. The .45 dies are a few thousandths smaller than the .455, and the cases are approximately the same length.

Lee sells 455 dies, they work fine. You will need the correct bullet with a hollow base as chamber throats run tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    It looks like you might be able to get by using a .45 Long Colt die to resize the cases, but the LC case diameter is about 4 thousandths of an inch bigger than the .455 case at the neck. Depending upon how tight your chambers are, it might or might not work.

It may be easier to find a used set of .45ACP dies for pretty cheap at a gun show, and use those. The .45 dies are a few thousandths smaller than the .455, and the cases are approximately the same length.
    I probably would shoot the gun less then 50 times if that. I checked and the Lee dies run about $41.00 with postage and cases about $1.00 ea. Plus bullets @ about $17 per hundred plus postage. A considerable sum just to shoot it a few times.
    I read a post were someone suggested triming the width of the rims and cutting down the 45 Long Colt cases to the 455 case dimensions so I could make up a few cases that way and they stated further that you can make your own hollow based bullets by drilling out the base of the 45 LC cast bullet which if I recall my mould is .452 which is the right dia for the throat and bumps up to .455 bore with the hollow based bullets.
    As I'm away from my reloading equipment for the moment and can't measure the case OD dia of the LC cases but I measured my revolvers chambers and they are .583 dia measured from the back, can't measure the fronts with my calipers. Can someone advise what the LC case OD diameters are and if they would fit my chambers? Also as suggested if I have to use the 45 acp case to crimp because the longer LC die won't work for that, maybe I should just buy the 45acp dies for sizing also. Would they work for 455 case sizing. Can someone provide the 455 and 45 acp case lengths to compare the two?
    Ray
    Last edited by RayG_Wisconsin; 04-01-2013 at 01:18 PM.

My recommendation of .45 ACP dies was specifically intended to get the cost of the reloading equipment down.

You can probably pick up ACP dies for $10 or less at a gun show if you look around and haggle a bit. .45 ACP brass can often be obtained for free as range pick-up. The majority of the .45 brass I shoot was originally fired out of someone else's pistol, and left on the floor/ground at the range.

The .45 ACP dies will size the case to about .005" smaller than a .455" die.

You might want to try to find a slightly larger expander ball so your bullets will fit better, but my Mk. VI is one of those that seems to be pretty happy shooting the same 230 grain .452" flat based lead bullets I load in my .45ACP.

I have been using my '.45 ACP reloads' (loaded to 650-700 FPS) in my Mk. VI for quite some time, and have yet to split any cases from the cases being sized too small.
    Last edited by Ronbo6; 04-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.

Well I just got through firing my Webley. As I mentioned I probably wouldn't fire it much and didn't want to spend a lot of money to do it. So I made cases using the 45 long Colt cases and 255 gr Colt cast bullets I had. In mikeing the Colt rims they were at .050 and I only needed to reduce them to .045, (.005), to fuction/turn in the cylinder. Having no machinery I cut the cases down to the correct length with a hack saw and trued the cut up. Then I reduced the thickness of the rim on the primer side with emery paper on a flat surface holding the case rim side down. The primers still were deep enough below the surface of the reduced thickness of the rim.
    Then using the Long colt dies and the 255 gr, .452 dia bullets, I loaded them using 4 grs of Unigue and fired them and shot well and were very accurate. However the trigger pull was terrible but dispite that I got a real good goup at 15 yrds.
    I probably won't be shooting it much more it was just a challege to make the rounds, Ray

You have contracted the curse. You pick up an odd gun then spend hours looking for parts and ammo. Once you fire it you put it away
    and look for another one. There is no known cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    You have contracted the curse. You pick up an odd gun then spend hours looking for parts and ammo. Once you fire it you put it away
    A variation on this syndrome is to find re-loading equipment, then buy a gun to go with it.
    Best,
    Mike

"A gentleman seldom if ever needs a pistol, but when he does, he needs it very
    badly." (Sir Winston Churchill)

Oh how true! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	funnies-11.gif 
Views:	87 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	667610 I have been reloading for many years and have about 25 plus dies and moulds and each were obtained to load for a gun that I had just aquired. Now they sit mostly unused as I had fired the guns and the challege was over and as you said, need to look for another one.
    The good thing is, like the Webley, I can just about use/put together, what ever dies and cast bullets I already have to load for another caliber without having to buy much more stuff.
    I just loaded for a 11mm French M74/80 black power rifle I just bought using my 45/70 dies to neck size and the .452 bullet sizer to reduce the .457 dia 500 gr 45/70 bullet to the proper dia to fit the chamber so I didn't have to buy the 11MM dies. Funny, every gun I buy, I have to try to reload for it at least once. Ray
    Last edited by RayG_Wisconsin; 05-30-2013 at 08:44 AM.

Yes. It gets bad. I hate to think about how much time and effort I put into converting , then loading for my 41Swiss rimfire only to shoot it a few times then put it aside.

The extreme case is when you buy a gun to use brass you picked up on the range.

Ranger Z I'm doing the 41 Swiss thing too eventually . Right now I am in the midst of my 44 Webley adventure. I've converted 44 mag brass (that was the easy part) and then had to invent a way to make .436 projectiles which I did using .452 LRNs and a hack saw and Yugo 8mm mauser brass and a 45 Colt case sizer. I'm working up load data now.
    Every day is an adventure of one sort or another, if you live, you learn.

The 41 Swiss is a fun project. I would suggest that you download and save this article if you plan to do the 41 Swiss. http://www.militaryrifles.com/switze...ishooting.html

I would love to claim credit for knowledge in this area, but as Isaac Newton said, (I think it was him) I stand tall because I stand on the shoulders of giants.

Well I found out you can also load the 455 and also 45acp using the 45 long Colt dies. They all shoot .452 dia bullets and all have basically the same case Id diameters.
    After loading the .455 I got to thinking, why not for the 45acp caliber also as those cases are similar to the 455 Webley cases and the 45acp is one of the few calibers I don't load for because years back the GI ammo was really cheap. But times have changed, as I just went to a Gun Show over the weekend and the same 50 rd boxes that you could buy for around 8-12 dollars were now going for 40-50 dollars. Of course these are the recent inflated prices.
    Humm I thought, so time to load for the 45acp and as luck would have it, I found a single cavity semi wad, .452 Lee mould with handles for $10 on a table at the show. Which would do for me as I probably won't be shooting the 45acp much.
    I used the 45 LC dies and sized and primed 20, 45 acp cases without a problem and they are waiting for me to make the bullets.
    I have a bunch of 45, 255 gr bullets already that I had for the 45 LC and which I had used some in the Webley. Also I had bought some 45 acp rimmed cases awhile ago that I thought I could convert for the Webley but it turned out the 45 LC cases were easier to convert for me so I can use them in my 45acp revolvers with the 255gr bullets as an option, again using the 45 LC dies.
    The bottom line was, I have too many dies for too many different calibers and didn't want to buy more so this was a workable alternative for two more calibers without having to buy the dies and besides I love these little challenges/adventures, Ray

Ha! I used to buy a bayonet and then try to find the rifle that went with it! This does work and I am still trying to find rifles to fit some of the bayonets I have! All kinds of variations of this "curse"!
    thors