Gunboards Forums banner

Klein's (Oswald) Carcano Replica

8K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  Skratch 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my replica of Lee Harvey Oswald's M38 Carcano (C2766), that Oswald purchased from Klein's Sporting Goods of Chicago on March 13, 1963, under the name A. Hidell, and, depending on whose history you believe, was used by Oswald to assassinate JFK with. It is a M38 6.5mm 1940 Terni Carcano Short Rifle mounted with a 4x18 Ordnance Optics Inc. Scope made in Japan and marked "4x18 Coated" "Ordnance Optics Inc" "Hollywood California" "010 Japan". The scope mount is marked "No. 2 Japan". It also has the same M13 USAF Air crewman sling C2766 had. The stock was dyed what I like to call "chocolate doughnut brown" to match the stock of C2766. It is exactly the same as C2766, other than the serial number. Mine is a Q-block.

This is a project my dad and I embarked on and finally finished last year. Much of the info needed to create this project was obtained from the members of this website. I am really proud of this one.

#4 · (Edited)
Here are the pics (sorry they came out blurry, I'll take better pics soon)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, sorry about the pics, I'll be taking better ones soon. I got the scope off eBay in late 2011, the mount was hard to find. I finally got the mount from Martin B. Retting Inc. in Culver City, California. Retting Inc. still sells the Ordnance Optics Scope with the mount for $275. There are some slight differences between the scope that was on Oswald's rifle and the scope sold by Retting. There is a slight shape difference in the bell section of the scope tube, the adjustment ring and ocular knob are slightly different, and the roll marks on the scope are different. There are no differences between the mount that was on Oswald's rifle and the one I purchased from Retting. I also got the sling off eBay.

#8 ·
Nice job. I'm looking forward to seeing better pictures. I'm also in the process of building an Oswald rifle myself, I have everything except the correct finish on the stock. Did you sand the original finish off to bare wood? Oswalds stock seemed to me to have the original brown finish with some sort of black garbage finish over it that allowed the brown to bleed through. I'm still wondering how that was applied and what was used.

#9 ·
My Carcano was sanded by the importer, removing the serial number and cartouche. I just stained my rifle with five coats of minwax ebony because the wood was in its natural color, light tan. I have read many theories as to why Oswald's Carcano was that color, I just decided to stain it with the minwax and it seemed to do the job.

#13 ·
I haven't shot mine yet, but I plan on shooting it. I bore sighted mine, and I hope it keeps a zero, but I don't have great faith in it. The scope doesn't have much of a field of view and is really meant to be mounted on a .22 or a pellet gun, but the optics are crystal clear. Klein's sold these Carcano's as inexpensive hunting packages for $19.95. I bet the rifle is more accurate aiming down the iron sights than aiming through the scope.

#16 · (Edited)
When I take the new pics, I'll include my JFK Assassination collection. Also, does anyone know where I can get some Western Cartridge Company 6.5mm Mannlicher Carcano Ammo in the box? Its the only item I don't have for my collection.

It is believed that this is the ammo Oswald supposedly used, this ammo was bought by the US Army for the CIA in 1954, and was supposed to be used in the CIA operation to overthrow the Communist government of Albania. After the operation fell through the ammo was put in storage and was then used for training the Cuban Exiles of Assault Brigade 2506 for The Bay of Pigs Invasion in April, 1961. There is actually footage of the Cuban Exiles training with M38 Carcanos. After the Cuban Missile Crisis in October 1962, 2 million rounds of the ammo was released on the American surplus market, and that is when Oswald supposedly bought some. There are four lots, 600, 6001, 6002, and 6003. I have heard there is a 6004 lot, but I've never seen one.

#18 ·
The carcano was definitely capable of doing it. A good addition for your collection, if don't already have it, is the November 1983 Life Magazine. It has some good pictures of C2766 and of Oswald's .38 Smith and Wesson Victory Model Revolver.

#22 ·
It looks like the stock came out good. For the correct mount, here is Retting Inc.'s phone number: 1-310-837-2412. If you're interested, I can sell you my extra Ordnance Optics Scope for $130 plus shipping. Its absolutely pristine. Like I said earlier in the thread, the scopes from Retting are 90% the same as the original scopes overall, except for the shape difference in the bell section of the scope tube, the adjustment ring and ocular knob are slightly different, and the roll marks on the scope are different. Otherwise, its the same scope and would be fine for completing your replica. If you're interested, pm me.

Here are pics of my extra scope:
Tool
Tool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.