Gunboards Forums banner

Mosin Accurizing Kit

5K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Raupleminze 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Im not sure where the best place would be to post this so it might get moved. I have been woking to create a shim and barrel wrap kit for mosins. It should be able to work with m38, m44, and 91/30 (obviously PE, PEM, and PU). Im not sure how many of you have cut the shims out before but it sucks and can be time consuming to get them to fit right and have them look clean. So I am working with some people I know to create a laser cut shim kit. The kit includes "accurizing" instructions (including pictures from the russian manual), 4 piece laser cut 26 gauge galvanized shim set, and an olive drab light canvas barrel wrap. From what I have seen in the majority of the 91/30 stocks I come into contact with the shims are made of galvanized so I tried to keep it accurate in that sense. A larger gauge or even stainless could be a possiblity in the future. Do you guys feel like this would be something that you would be interested in? All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

See less See more
#3 ·
I think it is a great idea. I have use galvanized steel and they are not that easy to cut out and get right. I have saved my patterns but have used about all my shims. The wrap, I would use high temp and non-porus gasket material but whatever works for you. I think such a kit would be worth at least $10 if not more.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually was going to price them at $10 a kit, however I am eager to find out what people think of them and if you guys think certain things could be improved. Because of this I am willing to sell them for $5 a kit (pricing for one kit only) plus shipping to all who have replied to the thread so far if you will get back to me with a review. Even if it is a just one sentence. Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Brian

#15 ·
I will have to check my stocks at home to see if I can pull a good candidate to get mic'd for the laser.

#24 ·
Thats a great idea, I will have to look into it.

#28 ·
Hi Raupleminze,
Definitely a great idea. Galvanized is about your best bet as stainless steel (SS) can be expensive. The cheaper SS will rust. As others have said, it would be nice to have a variety of thicknesses.
$5 - 10 is very reasonable.

Might have a few people from the Forum test your product before launching it. You have a built-in R&D lab with willing participant. Design a Before and After Test Sheet to document the results. Directions with Warnings and Legal stuff. I might be getting carried away but I always like a little overkill. Best wishes and good luck. I will surely buy at least one.
Thanks.

MadDog 1969

#29 ·
Did the initial kits arrive? Thoughts?

#30 ·
I was able to take a good look at the kit today. Overall it is very nice. The packaging was very nicely done. The shims are very nicely made and I love the instruction manual that comes with the kit. Lots of good info in there and the pictures would be very helpful to someone who is doing this for the first time. My only suggestion is that you include more shims in the kit. In my experience with these rifles, it usually takes about 1-3 shims under the tang and 2-4 shims next to the recoil lug. I don't like to do any sanding on the stock if possible, so I will use as many shims as necessary. I think it would be best to charge a higher amount and include enough shims to do at least 2 rifles. I would also include some more barrel wraps.

Thanks again for letting me be a "test subject" and cutting me a deal on the first kit. Keep up the nice work.

#31 ·
Hey Guys,

I have received a lot of constructive feedback about the initial kits that went out. I would like to thank mad_mardigan for his time and ideas. I am pleased to say that some changes have been made and the kits will now be up for sale. All kits will now include 3 sets of "accurizing" shims instead of 1. That way additional shims can be used on the same rifle when necessary. I have also lengthened the light canvas barrel wrap from 7-1/2" x 3/4" to 12"x 3/4" and 2 will be included in each kit. The instructions are also still included and will remain unchanged at this time. Each kit will now be designed for 1-2 rifles depending on how many shims you use. Pricing will be $20 + shipping. I have 30 kits available, please PM me or email at Raupleminze@yahoo.com if interested.

Thanks,
Brian

#33 ·
I am glad to see that you are happy and they made it to you safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.