Thread: Colt MP4 LE6920

Default Colt MP4 LE6920

We just purchased a COLT M4 LE6920, NIB, with two 30 round COLT mags, for $1,529 on a Buy-It-Now on GUNBROKER.

Being an AK-47 guy, I'm not that familiar with this rifle. However, the price seemed right. I could be wrong, but I think that these were selling in the high teens up to 2 grand+ plus prior to the Conn. shootings. (Which makes me wonder why these have gone down in price while everything else has gone up???)

Anyway, my main question is which ammo would be best to use in this particular firearm - both for practice and duty/defense??? Also, any suggestions on what kind of extra 30 round mags to buy and where to get them???Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!! - Mike

COLT M4 LE6920
    Last edited by 3A PKKA; 04-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.

I mostly use quality M193 and M855 in my ARs for both shooting and HD. A lot of guys like to use the heavier 75 gr stuff like TAP for defensive purposes. Look on the usual websites for mags. USGI 20 and 30 round, PMAGs, Troy mags, and Lancers are all fine mags. AIM surplus has the Troy mags right now at a good price. You picked a fine rifle for your first AR, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mad_mardigan View Post
    I mostly use quality M193 and M855 in my ARs for both shooting and HD. A lot of guys like to use the heavier 75 gr stuff like TAP for defensive purposes. Look on the usual websites for mags. USGI 20 and 30 round, PMAGs, Troy mags, and Lancers are all fine mags. AIM surplus has the Troy mags right now at a good price. You picked a fine rifle for your first AR, have fun!
    Thanks for the info! I just ordered three 30 round TROY Battle Mags from AIM. The Battle Packs of 3 were sold out, but they still had individual mags for $14.95 each. That seems like a really good price. I'll probably have the extra mags before the rifle arrives! lol Now to search for ammo!

Thanks again! - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mad_mardigan View Post
    What do you think of this ammo for the rifle that we purchased? I'm assuming that our COLT LE6920 has the "standard 5.56 chamber" that they are talking about. I wonder if it's corrosive, since it's the ammo the military uses? Sorry, if I sound ignorant about this particular weapon and its attributes. It's because I am!

Federal XM193 5.56 FMJ Ammo (900 Rnd Case) Federal's XM193 5.56 rifle ammo is manufactured at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant and is the same ammo used by the U.S. Military. All rounds are loaded onto stripper clips that allow for quick and easily loading. Packaged 10 rounds per clip, 3 clips per box, 30 boxes per case.

WARNING: For use in standard 5.56 mm chambers. Do not use in non-standard 5.56 chambers.

55 GR / 900 Rounds Case

FC-XM193A $480.00

by non standard I am sure they are talking about AR's that are chambered for the 223. While they are the same size and dimensions, they are loaded differently. As a rule, its okay to shoot 223 rem ammo through a 5.56 chambered AR, but not always the other way around due to the fact that 5.56 is a hotter load. yours is a 5.56x45 NATO so yes, this should shoot nicely.

common barrels will be either a 1/7 or 1/9 twist rate. either will shoot the 55gr well. Yours is a 1/7 if its stock. and no, this is not corrosive. its brass cased, boxer primed. Just clean normally. Given circumstances, thats a decent price. you might consider collecting the brass as there is a market for it. This isn't quite the same as military ammo as the primers aren't crimped, but thats not a bad thing.
    Last edited by vshortt; 04-04-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Anyone that has a 'no fear' sticker stuck to anything they own has never looked down the barrel of a loaded weapon in the hands of their enemy.

The Colt 6920 is pretty much the AR 'standard' that everyone else's rifle is compared to, and the Pony will keep its resale value high. I believe you did well in choosing it.

Pricewise, these were $1,100+/- at Walmart and most reasonable LGSs pre-Newtown, spiked to $2k post-Newtown, but are quickly becoming easier to find and consequently swiftly dropping to 'normal' pricing levels. Mine was part of a limited run with factory FDE finish, and I think they were selling only around $1,350 more or less when they were available last year.

It will shoot both 5.56 NATO and .223, and although I think it should be fine with steel cased ammo, I have chosen to only run brass in mine.

Mine sports the aforementioned factory FDE anodizing, a DD rail, other minor goodies and an Aimpoint PRO and 3x magnifier optics set. Barbies for boys .

Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FDE Colt and TJ.jpeg  

I forgot to add, check your rollmark. I think it should read M4, not MP4.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by vshortt View Post
    by non standard I am sure they are talking about AR's that are chambered for the 223. While they are the same size and dimensions, they are loaded differently. As a rule, its okay to shoot 223 rem ammo through a 5.56 chambered AR, but not always the other way around due to the fact that 5.56 is a hotter load. yours is a 5.56x45 NATO so yes, this should shoot nicely.

common barrels will be either a 1/7 or 1/9 twist rate. either will shoot the 55gr well. Yours is a 1/7 if its stock. and no, this is not corrosive. its brass cased, boxer primed. Just clean normally. Given circumstances, thats a decent price. you might consider collecting the brass as there is a market for it. This isn't quite the same as military ammo as the primers aren't crimped, but thats not a bad thing.
    WOW! Thanks! That about covers all my questions. I really appreciate the info. Now I can sleep soundly tonight!
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
    I forgot to add, check your rollmark. I think it should read M4, not MP4.

Keith
    You are correct. It is a COLT M4 LE6920.

i just bought two 6920-FTD,s at walmart for 1147.00 a piece. they had four,three FTD,s and one sitcom. they seem to be getting four a week. ammo has been fair,100 round bulk packs of .223 federal for 34.00 as i have plenty of .223 i bought two bulk packs of 1000 winchester M-22 black plated .22,s for 48.00 a pack.eastbank. ps here is a chart giving the the spect,s for ar makers, thats why i buy colt ar,s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2971.jpg  

That rifle before the insanity was under $1200 at my LGS.

i know we piss and moan about walmart, but they have not put their prices up the way most LGS have, this morning i bought a 555 winchester bulk pack of .22 HP,s for 23.00. this is one of the two colt 6920 FDE,s i got at walmart for 1147.00 and thats alot better price than most gun stores and on line sales. eastbank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 3035.jpg   Picture 3036.jpg   Picture 3037.jpg   Picture 3038.jpg  

Wish to God we had your Walmart around us. Other than 12ga they have had nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by 3A PKKA View Post
    We just purchased a COLT M4 LE6920, NIB, with two 30 round COLT mags, for $1,529 on a Buy-It-Now on GUNBROKER.

Being an AK-47 guy, I'm not that familiar with this rifle. However, the price seemed right. I could be wrong, but I think that these were selling in the high teens up to 2 grand+ plus prior to the Conn. shootings. (Which makes me wonder why these have gone down in price while everything else has gone up???)

Anyway, my main question is which ammo would be best to use in this particular firearm - both for practice and duty/defense??? Also, any suggestions on what kind of extra 30 round mags to buy and where to get them???Any input would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!! - Mike

COLT M4 LE6920
    Before panic pricing I could get them for 1,000 dollars.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

6920 FTD??? My ignorance is showing again. What does FTD stand for? I tried to look it up, but all that came up on Google was the florist! Sorry! - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by 3A PKKA View Post
    6920 FTD??? My ignorance is showing again. What does FTD stand for? I tried to look it up, but all that came up on Google was the florist! Sorry! - Mike
    Maybe he typed 'FDE' and got bit by autocorrect? I've never heard of a Colt FTD either.

In reality Mike, iit doesn't really matter what they were priced prepanic. They may drop back down to prepanic levels or they might not. Regardless, you got one, and not at a ridiculous price either, so if you are happy with it then thats what counts. I owned three or four ARs over the years prior to getting the Colt. i never had a problem with one of them, but I never felt the love for any of them either until the Colt came along.

Keith
    Keith

Maybe he typed 'FDE' and got bit by autocorrect? I've never heard of a Colt FTD either.

Keith
    Alright, so what does FDE stand for? I know I sound stupid, but I'm and AK guy and know nothing about these rifles.

- Mike

In reality Mike, iit doesn't really matter what they were priced prepanic. They may drop back down to prepanic levels or they might not. Regardless, you got one, and not at a ridiculous price either, so if you are happy with it then thats what counts. I owned three or four ARs over the years prior to getting the Colt. i never had a problem with one of them, but I never felt the love for any of them either until the Colt came along.

Keith
    Keith
    It doesn't bother me that we paid three or four hundred bucks more than the pre-panic prices. It was still around five hundred less than the top of the market. But, the main thing is that we got one. Who knows what's going to happen down the road. Now I just want to study up on these rifles and their ammunition so I at least appear to know what I'm talking about!!! - Mike

google colt 6920 FDE review. the FDE stands for flat dark earth. the only difference i can see is the color and shape of the handguard and butt stock and front pistol grip. eastbank.

The 'standard' FDE Colt came as a black anodized rifle with Magpul FDE-colored furniture, like Eastbank's.

There was also a limited release of FDE-anodized Colts (like mine) also with FDE furniture. Here is a link to a local one for sale (not mine).

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rif...-6920-new.html

Keith