Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life Below Zero

Default Life Below Zero

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...d-of-the-road/

We've been hard at it, I don't know how it will be after editing, but were doing the work. We personally have no drama, and have never beer anywhere near starving, so I hope such is not even mentioned, LOL!!

I hope it good, should be out in May on Nat Geo.

rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

Ok...now I have a reason to get cable. Seriously doubt it will be as good as your posts though.

And If I hear you are on Survivor...I'll be very disappointed.
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

Nope, no Survivor............LOL!!

Actually the first couple episodes took some getting used to, some refusal, some adjusting, but its only improved as we went along.

IF there's a second season, Ill let ya know.........and yet, I do not own a T V.

Any idea as to when this will be on?

Rad
    NRA Benefactor Member

AMA Life Member

Life Member Tri State Gun Collectors

I just want to know how many camera lenses they broke, and I don't mean from the cold! ;>)

Wish we had Nat Geo and that I was going to be home on May! What's the title of the show and I'll have my Brother tape it. Well done Caribou! The star of the show no doubt.

Best of Luck Bud!

John

Any updates on when in May this is going to start airing Caribou?
    Gleebola! It's going around downstairs....

"Always bring a hammer to a stick fight."-nassaulakes

May 19 around 5 pm Alaska time, 10 PM EST........ Nat Geo channel;

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/23/na...ler-exclusive/

So theres a hint and a stint of the wife talking to the camera a couple times, and I talking about traveling at various temps......just so ya know ~~LOL!!~~

I love the line "you don't have to be a hillbilly or a redneck to live in the bush" - amen to that!

Can't wait to see this on the tube! exciting!
    Anyone that has a 'no fear' sticker stuck to anything they own has never looked down the barrel of a loaded weapon in the hands of their enemy.

no, his wife is the star. she shot the rabbit at 300 yards open sights with a mosin....... without messing up any meat.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

looks great, Chip! hope all is well with you and yours?

I'll buy it on DVD in Shanghai.

JPS

Flint, Michigan but mentally I'm somewhere out in the desert

Not sure if I get NatGeo, but they just changed us over to digital and I have lots of new channels so I'll keep my eyes peeled.
    I love the N.S.A. I think those hard working dedicated people should all get a big raise for reading through my long winded boring internet postings and listening in on my straightlaced 18th century style phone sex conversations.
    God bless 'em every one.
    Say, you're showing a lot of ankle there Sadie!

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends. ~A. Lincoln

Last edited by Caribou; 05-06-2013 at 05:00 PM.

I'm on board to watch this show, looking forward to it. There's too much crap on TV.....Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo, etc......all staged, unreal and really weird imo. I'm ready for a real reality show with a member from gunboards.

It'll be nice put a face with a name and see what its like to live in their world. Thanks for the heads up about the show Chip!
    Collecting military surplus, the most fun a man can have with his pants on......

Your's is one show I actually look forward to watching!!!!!!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    We have enough youth, what we need is a fountain of smart.

"I would never shoot someone and then run them over, unless or course they had it comin"
    pcanhot-

Polk County, Florida - out in the boonies

Started seeing this advertised on Nat-Geo today. Looking forward to the show.
    American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!
    http://fantasyofflight.com/
    VENISON - It's whats for Dinner!

Polk County, Florida - out in the boonies

Default Life Below Zero

Chip & Agnes Hailstone. Really enjoyed the first episode. Already set the DVR thingy to record next weeks episode in case I miss it when it airs. (had to ask the wife how to set it) Chip, I think your wife steals the show and she is cuter than you. Much like JPS and his African adventures, I am impressed. You guys live a unique lifestyle. I missed my chance to work in Alaska when the pipeline was installed in the early 70's and wondered since how I would have measured up in that extreme environment. Then again, some might wonder about the 11 ft - 8 in amphibian I just spent dressing & cleaning.
    American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!
    http://fantasyofflight.com/
    VENISON - It's whats for Dinner!

Well, How can I say, Wynn.......I too was VERY happy with the result! A neighbor called us over and nat geo on satalite dish had it :D
    Fact is, we had a lot to learn about filming and some demanding/tweeking with the writers and editors who actually did make the changes we wanted, and in the end, the first episode showed it the way it is. Im wondering how our perpetual Caribou hunting will be portrayed, ~~LOL!!~~ they even asked us to lay off them and hunt other things ~~LOL!!~~ as we do , by nature of hunting , take the opportunity to "catch' whats right in front of us :D I hated passing up good scores, but theres more than just Hunting, its a section of everything that evolves around living here, fishing, wood cutting, tanning, sewing, crafting..........

I must say, irrevocably , that I was VERY happy with the first episode, and next week, well have another look :D

Still, were in the groove and there'll be 16 episodes done soon.
    Last edited by Caribou; 05-20-2013 at 05:33 AM.

I watched it last night and was very impressed with your can do attitude. I was born in Fairbanks,(1955) but haven't been there since I was 4 yrs old. Always wondered if I could stand the lifestyle. I think I messed around and got to old. Thanks for a great show! Frosty
    Stand and Fight !

Wife and I both liked the show. It would be nice if it was one every day so we wouldn't have to wait very long between episodes. I was great watching on our big screen tv.

Rad
    NRA Benefactor Member

AMA Life Member

Life Member Tri State Gun Collectors

We loved the show except for the weirdness of Sue rambling about her hard life without any real action...
    Your family in working in dangerous situations kept us spellbound! But, the cuts to the caribou hunting were OK, and the sled run was also OK, but, Sue Aiken, in the warmth and protection of buildings, and etc. as she rambled about how tough she has it was nothing similar to you all actually doing it!

More of Chip, Agnes, and family, less of Sue, would actually attract viewers, but, the producers usually wnat to turn real life into some kind of therapy session and support for crazy loners, when survival is really about survivors, which means couples and/or family, homesteading!

Adjustments will be made, I hope, so there is more about the Hailstones, and less about lone crazies...
    Can't wait to see Agnes hunting Seal and other game with her Mosin Nagant 1891/30 sniper rifle!
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    Exodus Chapter 22 שְׁמוֹת. א אִם-בַּמַּחְתֶּרֶת יִמָּצֵא הַגַּנָּב, וְהֻכָּה וָמֵת--אֵין לוֹ, דָּמִים. 1 If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him.

Among Inupiaq, there are no loners, we have always lived in family's, clans and tribes. To all Eskimo tribes, to be alone is to be dead. Banishment was a death sentence before the 1930's here. Its best to have family to help you out when you need, protect and work with you and your kids. Thank you for liking our show, you will see us again next week too :D

Will this be out on a DVD?

I hope so. So far, weve bummed a friends front room and watched, but I did find the first episode on youtube~~LOL!!~~ Iff'n yer hopeing to see it on DVd, I belive you just gotta wait awhile or so.

Tonight I watched the 2nd one and it was pretty good, I liked it .

I am really enjoying the program as well.

Please tell us how you came to be involved in the show.
    Now officially collecting Mosin M38s!

Great show, my wife is even hooked.
    I am quite interested in the ulu your wife used in last nights episode, the ulu I have has a single ground edge; hers appears to be double ground. Where did the knife come from and would it be possible to get one like it? This is one of the most useful blades I have.

The Ulu is single sided l/ in shape along its edge. The one she used on the show was one of her mothers, but shes had it for more years than I ve known her.
    It, and most made here are from hand saws, (usually a bent one) and the largest are made from the handle section with the actual handle cut down to be the handle on the Ulu.

We were contacted by e-mail from a friend in Kotz, actually for the series thats playing along with the show, I belive a survivalist race or such (I didn't watch, we were visiting to watch our hour ~~LOL!!~~ I have no TV) where people who lived the life we do would take treks around the state. well, we didn't think it was for us and declined, but they came back again after reading some post on the internet and asked to come a meet us........they brought a camera (it was summer) and some clips on the show are at Noorvik in summer interviewing us. Shortly befor freeze up in Sept the wife and I moved home to the house and kids and the crew arrived as we were freezing up. Really, its the end of hunting at that timma year, a time when we stay home, and set nets and make crafts/art and such. Its dark then, the ice is thin and its our holiday season until the sun returns in Febuary enough to travel and hunt. We started our winter pretty well, 26 Caribou on the rack and almost 1,000 whitefish to give and trade, and we had only a few of the Summer hides we needed, so I went after trapping fox and Beaver, it was good trapping, so they just followed us. Suprizingly, they wernt very interested in all the Caribou stuff until later, when we were done sewing, I wish they had filmed that, but maybe later in later episodes. Hopefully thell check out some arts and crafts down the road. It takes like 10 days to make 15 or so minutes it seems, so they are around for those times.

I would still be interested in one if such a thing could be possible.
    I have to say that you and your family are quite lucky and quite blessed. No tv, you sure are not missing much. How did the film crew hold up to the weather? Where did you put them during their stay?

Wow, cool show! I can't even imagine living that kind of life, don't know anything about it. I love learning about other lifestyles and cultures so find the show fascinating. Pretty awesome that a long time gunboards member is a star of the show.

Good luck with the show, hope it makes you a few bucks and gives you and your family more opportunities to do the things you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    I hope so. So far, weve bummed a friends front room and watched, but I did find the first episode on youtube~~LOL!!~~ Iff'n yer hopeing to see it on DVd, I belive you just gotta wait awhile or so.

Tonight I watched the 2nd one and it was pretty good, I liked it .
    I watched the 1st episode on youtube, well, kind of. You guys and that young guy are the only ones that are interesting to me. Will your kids / family be in any episodes?

Another question is how did you end up in Alaska married to an eskimo girl?

I love the show.

Chip your awesome, your wife is beautiful and her tattoo is badass. Looking forward to more episodes!

I agree with others, less crazy Sue and more of you and your family.

I am making my own knives, now, because some aren't available in the marketplace. One I have been working is a Chinese Ping. It is 3 x 10 inches of
    3/32nd steel. sort of the shape of a cleaver, but, the blade continues in a curve from the tip to the start of the handle. I can use it to skin a hog or deer.

Next will be a Ulu. Wife and I are hooked on the show! My experience in life taught me that lone survival is usually very bad. Hoping to see that NAT Geo DVD disc set for Season 1, in about a year, in the stores!

Am so anxious to see you hunting seals with your PU Sniper!
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    Exodus Chapter 22 שְׁמוֹת. א אִם-בַּמַּחְתֶּרֶת יִמָּצֵא הַגַּנָּב, וְהֻכָּה וָמֵת--אֵין לוֹ, דָּמִים. 1 If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him.

My wife and I are spellbound with the show. In an age when it seems everyone is idolizing singing fools, overpaid pro athletes and actors who 'play' tough guys. my family chooses to watch you guys show the world what tough is.

Sue may be crazy, but she's as tough as nails too.

Kudos for keeping that pioneer spirit alive and reminding us all that there are plenty of places on this planet where living requires gumption and fortitude.
    Anyone that has a 'no fear' sticker stuck to anything they own has never looked down the barrel of a loaded weapon in the hands of their enemy.

Chip, I really like your show and think you are a natural for how you live and work. Wife and I are pushing 70 and can only admire your energy and commitment. Will be watching from now on and wish you the best.

:D

Im glad ya like the show. I found both, so far, episodes on youtube and was amazed they were there.

The crew was seasoned, having done a gold prospecting show in Greenland and a filming drillers in Antarctica, it was the support staff with the $$ that held back a screwd the production with wasteing time renting junky rides and not getting stuff set up as we told them. Took awhile to get that straight, but were happy. Theres a learning curve for everyone, and I think theve been schooled :D

The money is pretty minimal, maybe more with season 2, we often refuse to do things as it would take yus away from our proper doings, but the guys asking arnt from here, so its no big deal, just "ideas" they run past us. There is a Major effort to keep this "REAL" and the wife and I are not actors, so , as someone whos being filmed and shown, I can tell you, its damn near documentary stuff. I signed up for "Documentry" and TV turned it into "Reality", but when you watch, its really us, no Drama or BS. One amuseing part was when were about to go to the river and when asked "Whos in charge?' my wife declared she was, so I said "I guess shes in charge, so I have to do as she says, so, I fish the Inupiaq way" and they cut it down to "I fish the Inupiaq way" ~~LOL!!~~(My wife is Kuuvanmuit Inupiaq, the Eskimo tribe here)

Agnes's tats are tradional, and her doings, they show she s Kobuk River Eskimo, as until the 1940's every woman here had them, not just a few dozen or so.

I came up this Arctic way to visit my mom and younger brother as they lived up here, don't belive the "show' advertizements. 25 years ago I came to Alaska's southeast just goofing off,and seeing relatives, then back and forth a bit, up the AK Highway on a return trip ,spent time at the ExonValdese spill, make a few thousand $$ and then arrived to visit my mom. Later I met Agnes, and weve been fine since. Basicly she took me along and its been work ever since........like the Nuge says "Lucky me, my work is play" ~~LOL!!~~

I don't Seal, its not legal, Agnes does, as do my kids. She'll be using that PU on the show soon enough, depends on the editors. When commercial Hunting of Ocean Mammels was banned in the 1970's "Save the Whales", the eskimo and most all coastal Alaska showed the need to eat and use the products from them, and the Native leadership showed customary and tradional use with no commercial outlets, so they were allowed to keep hunting them.
    Being "white" the KKK, Aryan Nations and the Republican Party didn't speak up for baby me, and with only a heritage of Commercial hunting on the part of my ancestors, theres no Sealing for me.
    Its kina the same for fishing; when theres lots, everyomne fishes, even commercial. When numbers drop, only subsitence fishing is allowed (for food), and hen its really bad, no one fishes.
    That's how and why its that way, The natives never diminished the remaining stocks the commercial hunters were killing , numbers have rebounded from a low in the 1960's and the hunt contenuse. Its the lack of ice nowdays that threatens the mammles who live on th eice. Walrus, for instance, must haul out to rest, and since theres very few islands on th eAlaskan shores , they are crowding along the Russian shore, over eating there. The ice receeds so far over the Arctic Ocean that the waters below up that way are too deep for Mammles to dive and eat, no ice to rest on and they are diminishing. The Canadian Arctic Archepelligo's massive islands are the only safe haven left for Walrus, Seals and PolarBears that follow the ice to hunt and need to rest. The rising temps there have dropped their Caribou poulations by 90%, so the effects of this warming are on land as well.....Its a changing world, and hopefully , people will enjoy seeing whats there to do, as we adapt and carry on.

Im glad you all like the show :D
    Last edited by Caribou; 05-29-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Chip,
    If you could get that post aired on the show it would explain wildlife conservation to even the most liberal save the ____ pansies. Just keep being you.

Quote Originally Posted by nsl View Post
    I watched the 1st episode on youtube, well, kind of. You guys and that young guy are the only ones that are interesting to me. Will your kids / family be in any episodes?

Another question is how did you end up in Alaska married to an eskimo girl?
    Take that back, seen the second episode of season one. Couldn't find episode one of season one.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    :D

Im glad ya like the show. I found both, so far, episodes on youtube and was amazed they were there.

The crew was seasoned, having done a gold prospecting show in Greenland and a filming drillers in Antarctica, it was the support staff with the $$ that held back a screwd the production with wasteing time renting junky rides and not getting stuff set up as we told them. Took awhile to get that straight, but were happy. Theres a learning curve for everyone, and I think theve been schooled :D

The money is pretty minimal, maybe more with season 2, we often refuse to do things as it would take yus away from our proper doings, but the guys asking arnt from here, so its no big deal, just "ideas" they run past us. There is a Major effort to keep this "REAL" and the wife and I are not actors, so , as someone whos being filmed and shown, I can tell you, its damn near documentary stuff. I signed up for "Documentry" and TV turned it into "Reality", but when you watch, its really us, no Drama or BS. One amuseing part was when were about to go to the river and when asked "Whos in charge?' my wife declared she was, so I said "I guess shes in charge, so I have to do as she says, so, I fish the Inupiaq way" and they cut it down to "I fish the Inupiaq way" ~~LOL!!~~(My wife is Kuuvanmuit Inupiaq, the Eskimo tribe here)

Agnes's tats are tradional, and her doings, they show she s Kobuk River Eskimo, as until the 1940's every woman here had them, not just a few dozen or so.

I came up this Arctic way to visit my mom and younger brother as they lived up here, don't belive the "show' advertizements. 25 years ago I came to Alaska's southeast just goofing off,and seeing relatives, then back and forth a bit, up the AK Highway on a return trip ,spent time at the ExonValdese spill, make a few thousand $$ and then arrived to visit my mom. Later I met Agnes, and weve been fine since. Basicly she took me along and its been work ever since........like the Nuge says "Lucky me, my work is play" ~~LOL!!~~

I don't Seal, its not legal, Agnes does, as do my kids. She'll be using that PU on the show soon enough, depends on the editors. When commercial Hunting of Ocean Mammels was banned in the 1970's "Save the Whales", the eskimo and most all coastal Alaska showed the need to eat and use the products from them, and the Native leadership showed customary and tradional use with no commercial outlets, so they were allowed to keep hunting them.
    Being "white" the KKK, Aryan Nations and the Republican Party didn't speak up for baby me, and with only a heritage of Commercial hunting on the part of my ancestors, theres no Sealing for me.
    Its kina the same for fishing; when theres lots, everyomne fishes, even commercial. When numbers drop, only subsitence fishing is allowed (for food), and hen its really bad, no one fishes.
    That's how and why its that way, The natives never diminished the remaining stocks the commercial hunters were killing , numbers have rebounded from a low in the 1960's and the hunt contenuse. Its the lack of ice nowdays that threatens the mammles who live on th eice. Walrus, for instance, must haul out to rest, and since theres very few islands on th eAlaskan shores , they are crowding along the Russian shore, over eating there. The ice receeds so far over the Arctic Ocean that the waters below up that way are too deep for Mammles to dive and eat, no ice to rest on and they are diminishing. The Canadian Arctic Archepelligo's massive islands are the only safe haven left for Walrus, Seals and PolarBears that follow the ice to hunt and need to rest. The rising temps there have dropped their Caribou poulations by 90%, so the effects of this warming are on land as well.....Its a changing world, and hopefully , people will enjoy seeing whats there to do, as we adapt and carry on.

Im glad you all like the show :D
    So you can't seal, but your kids can? Should be a law that allows you to being married to a native woman, as it wseems to work the other way.

I belive the laws should allow anyone who eats the animals to hunt it, but that just isnt the way it is.......it was a blanket "No Hunting marine Mammals" at first in the US, but since the US gov only bought the rights to govorn , protect and tax Alaska, and had never formally been at war with Alaskan Natives, nor owned the lands originally, they were still bound to deal with them as "Nations", and in doing so entreatied the Right to Subsistence Hunt form the Ocean. Some communitys here, such as Point Hope have 10,000 years of proven occupancy and direct use of the Ocean and marine mammles to eat and make clothing, crafts, heat and light, bones to build houses, literally a 90% aspect of their survival was from the Ocean. Banning all hunting of Marine mammles would have literally starved out these people and destroyed their culture. Off to FEMA camps or something.....

So, in the end, the Alaska Whaleing Commision was established to regulate and keep count of Alaskan Natives use ond way of using Marine Mammles. They control how many Whales are struck (even the ones that get away count) and how many are taken of each species each year, as well as work side by side with scientists to make sure that when numbers are low , as Polar Bears are , for example, and the count of Polar Bears takenin total each year, between Russian and Alaska is a total of 58 due to all man made causes. Walrus and their Ivorys are heavily watched and regulated.

As well, only Native Alaskans that reside on the coast or a customary distance (were on a River delta that empties into the Ocean) and have customary use of them (eat em', yum!) as well as having 1/4th Tribal blood quantum........ My kids are exactly 1/2 Inupiaq........then you can Hunt Seals and such. That way there no whaling captains in Anchorage or the like, and its all Fed Rules.

Still, I play by the rules and don't participate, I watch the boats while the maniacs hunt the ice and I fish or catch Ducks, as the Dolly Varden at the ices edge can get 20 lbs and the Ducks are in clouds, and someone has to be awake and watch the boats......they love me for that :D

Any updates as to where to find all the episodes on line? I don't have TV, and have found very little on Youtube. Caribou, you ever going to post all the footage here if possible?

I've been enjoying the show immensely...

rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

That just makes me smile. I have watched every episode, AND I watch them again on Thursday's.
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

Another great episode last night! Caribou, it is a thrill to see you and your wife and family living such a life. I hope next week's episode shows a lot of your hunting trip. I know your wife does native art work. Do you ever offer it on line?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast