Gunboards Forums banner

Life Below Zero

42K views 89 replies 40 participants last post by  Tom-M 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Ok...now I have a reason to get cable. Seriously doubt it will be as good as your posts though.

And If I hear you are on Survivor...I'll be very disappointed. ;)

#3 ·
Nope, no Survivor............LOL!!

Actually the first couple episodes took some getting used to, some refusal, some adjusting, but its only improved as we went along.

IF there's a second season, Ill let ya know.........and yet, I do not own a T V.

#5 ·
I just want to know how many camera lenses they broke, and I don't mean from the cold! ;>)

Wish we had Nat Geo and that I was going to be home on May! What's the title of the show and I'll have my Brother tape it. Well done Caribou! The star of the show no doubt.

Best of Luck Bud!

John

#8 ·
I love the line "you don't have to be a hillbilly or a ******* to live in the bush" - amen to that!

Can't wait to see this on the tube! exciting!

#12 ·
Not sure if I get NatGeo, but they just changed us over to digital and I have lots of new channels so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

#14 ·
I'm on board to watch this show, looking forward to it. There's too much crap on TV.....Kardashians, Jersey Shore, Honey Boo Boo, etc......all staged, unreal and really weird imo. I'm ready for a real reality show with a member from gunboards.

It'll be nice put a face with a name and see what its like to live in their world. Thanks for the heads up about the show Chip!

#17 ·
Chip & Agnes Hailstone. Really enjoyed the first episode. Already set the DVR thingy to record next weeks episode in case I miss it when it airs. (had to ask the wife how to set it) Chip, I think your wife steals the show and she is cuter than you. Much like JPS and his African adventures, I am impressed. You guys live a unique lifestyle. I missed my chance to work in Alaska when the pipeline was installed in the early 70's and wondered since how I would have measured up in that extreme environment. Then again, some might wonder about the 11 ft - 8 in amphibian I just spent dressing & cleaning.

#18 · (Edited)
Well, How can I say, Wynn.......I too was VERY happy with the result! A neighbor called us over and nat geo on satalite dish had it :D
Fact is, we had a lot to learn about filming and some demanding/tweeking with the writers and editors who actually did make the changes we wanted, and in the end, the first episode showed it the way it is. Im wondering how our perpetual Caribou hunting will be portrayed, ~~LOL!!~~ they even asked us to lay off them and hunt other things ~~LOL!!~~ as we do , by nature of hunting , take the opportunity to "catch' whats right in front of us :D I hated passing up good scores, but theres more than just Hunting, its a section of everything that evolves around living here, fishing, wood cutting, tanning, sewing, crafting..........

I must say, irrevocably , that I was VERY happy with the first episode, and next week, well have another look :D

Still, were in the groove and there'll be 16 episodes done soon.

#19 ·
I watched it last night and was very impressed with your can do attitude. I was born in Fairbanks,(1955) but haven't been there since I was 4 yrs old. Always wondered if I could stand the lifestyle. I think I messed around and got to old. Thanks for a great show! Frosty

#21 ·
We loved the show except for the weirdness of Sue rambling about her hard life without any real action...
Your family in working in dangerous situations kept us spellbound! But, the cuts to the caribou hunting were OK, and the sled run was also OK, but, Sue Aiken, in the warmth and protection of buildings, and etc. as she rambled about how tough she has it was nothing similar to you all actually doing it!

More of Chip, Agnes, and family, less of Sue, would actually attract viewers, but, the producers usually wnat to turn real life into some kind of therapy session and support for crazy loners, when survival is really about survivors, which means couples and/or family, homesteading!

Adjustments will be made, I hope, so there is more about the Hailstones, and less about lone crazies...
Can't wait to see Agnes hunting Seal and other game with her Mosin Nagant 1891/30 sniper rifle!

#22 ·
Among Inupiaq, there are no loners, we have always lived in family's, clans and tribes. To all Eskimo tribes, to be alone is to be dead. Banishment was a death sentence before the 1930's here. Its best to have family to help you out when you need, protect and work with you and your kids. Thank you for liking our show, you will see us again next week too :D

#24 ·
I hope so. So far, weve bummed a friends front room and watched, but I did find the first episode on youtube~~LOL!!~~ Iff'n yer hopeing to see it on DVd, I belive you just gotta wait awhile or so.

Tonight I watched the 2nd one and it was pretty good, I liked it .

#26 ·
Great show, my wife is even hooked.
I am quite interested in the ulu your wife used in last nights episode, the ulu I have has a single ground edge; hers appears to be double ground. Where did the knife come from and would it be possible to get one like it? This is one of the most useful blades I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.