Default M1 Carbine bolt carrier coming off when firing?

Took out the m1 carbine for a range trip. Each time a round is fired the bolt carrier would cycle back(as normal) all the way to the rear and then pop up and off the rail? This obviously causes a jam.

I noticed a small notch cut into rail near the rear and am thinking maybe it is popping off there.. However the notch looks like it was cut rather than damaged so maybe ths is normal?
    I noticed the same notches on this m1 carbine so I am taking it those are normal?

Ideas welcome.. Gun is beautiful. Just want to take it out shooting!

They actually call it a slide in a carbine. No, this should not happen. Check for wear or bent or missing operating spring guide.

Quote Originally Posted by srinde View Post
    They actually call it a slide in a carbine. No, this should not happen. Check for wear or bent or missing operating spring guide.
    +1, that is the takedown notches cut into the receiver, if the rod is in good shape it should keep the slide square to where it should be. If it has a angle to it, it could be force the rear of the slide out of the take down cut outs.. which is what it sounds like its doing.

Check Out my Deviant Art Page : http://spaxspore.deviantart.com/

Things to check:

Check the barrel to insure it's not rotated off center. If it is, the op rod will be forced out of the receiver grooves.

Check the tab on the bottom of the op rod for wear.

Check the groove in the receiver for excessive wear.

Check to insure the recoil spring guide is present and not bent.

Check the op rod grooves on the barrel for deformation

Check the lugs inside the op rod "box" for deformation or excess wear.

Check the op rod section behind the "box" portion for bends.

Check the cam surface inside the op rod for damage or excess wear.

Check the bolt lug for deformation or excess wear.

Check for interference with the op rod by the stock or hand guard.

i had the same problems years back with the OP rod just bend a little and the recoil spring, these old puppies seen hell and back
    Bitterly clinging to my guns/ammo /religion since 11/6/2012 Compesce Mentem:Compos Mentis
    Join NRA

C&R collector Contact me Finn M39 or K98. Offer Russian SVT-40 date1942 Tula Trade for k98 Berlin-Lubecker- "237" 1940, and also "duv" 40 date.
    Feedback iTrader Link:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?342775-armenjs-is-EXCELLENT-to-deal-with!

most likly over indexed or under indexed. will make the slide jump out of battery.
    a worn slide and or reciever will so the same.
    lack of lube...is another culprit.
    if it aint broke, fix it till it finally is.

90% of the time that this happens it's the nub or slide guide on the slide itself that has become worn. The arm of the slide should be slightly and I mean slightly bent inward. If it's bending out a bit then it should be straightened. But if the nub is worn out then you most likely need to replace the slide. It can be rebuilt and machined but the cost is likely more then replacing the slide. If you can find another slide then try it on yours and see if that works or not and if it does then your slide is worn.

Thanks guys, I will be taking it apart and looking over everything this weekend to see whats going on.