Gunboards Forums banner

1916 Lithgow Bayonet

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Father Dougal McGuire 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up this 1916 Lithy bayo + mangrovite scabbard a few months back for less than the going price of the scabbard. Has 3 md marking, metal condition north of scabbard is a bit rough, blade would be very nice if someone didn't give it a hideous sharpening and the grips ... Look like they were installed by a caveman, would be a complement. Anyone ever seen anything like this? I like preserving anything military, so before I make the final split on these grips to remove them and cut fasteners (looks like they were split on installation ) I just wanted to be 100% sure what this was all about. Is this something disgraceful done by civillian, or hurriedly done in the field? As I said I like keeping things in military nick but this looks embarrassing:cheers:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Original grips would have been Queensland Maple, quite light in colour but they go dark with age and grease.Almost impossible to find.But there are lots of later Coachwood grips made by Slazenger (marked SLAZ and the year) as fitted to Lithgow bayonets from 1941 onwards available on e-bay, often with screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.