Thread: Eddystone m1917 rifle

Default Eddystone m1917 rifle

Hi fellow members,

I have an Eddystone M1917 w/barrel date of 6-18 and 3 GMK cartouche.Does anyone know what inspector or the maker of my 3-GMK
    was?

Thanks,

John L.Hampton

Consensus of the 3 GM-K proof is the Guide-Lamp Division of General Motors, but there is no proof available. My 2/18 Eddystone was rebuilt with a NOS 12/17 Winchester barrel, original stock, and all Eddystone parts save a RVS Remington P14 lower hand guard. I have seen several 3-GMK rebuilds, all with NOS Winchester receivers; one was posted recently.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...37#post2552437

PM
    Last edited by plymouthmauser; 05-11-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: sp
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    Original keeper and frosch for a K98k sling; can be Yugo.
    Dad; 12/18/1938-1/17/2014

Thanks for the info.and for your info.My Eddystone is a hand me down that I inherited from my Dad when died and I know that he had it when I was a kid and I'm
    62 .When I tore it down,I found that every part is E marked and it still has the original factory bluing on it although it'sbrowning a little bit.It also has YSLHTA carved
    into the stock.I looked in my family tree and found a Yancy in it.Again,thanks for the info.
    John L.Hampton

I respectfully disagree - there has been no consensus as to the meaning of 3 GM-K - Guide-Lamp is one guess.

As that was the only thought put forward in my original 3 GM-K post last October when I posted my M17, I presumed to use the word 'consensus.' If that was too presumptuous, I apologize.

PM
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.

I have a book titled THE M1 CARBINE A REVOLUTION IN STOCK MAKING that has a picture of J.S.Richardson Co.'s products made in WW2 and one of them is the
    M1917 stock and hand guard.It does not say anything about cartouches but it's another one to add to the list of who made it's.
    John L.Hampton

American Billiard and Bowling also made replacement M17 stocks; my first Eddystone had one. "A" in the stock channel with a "40" on the nose for 40 inches long.

MS