Default Any shootin' experience with an El Tigre .44-40 carbine?

Hey guys,

Always wanted a Winchester lever rifle. Last night bought a Tigre carbine made by Garate Anitua Y Cia, yes not a Winchester. Spanish copy of the Winchester model 92. Chambered in .44-40. Looked it up on the net last night and seems to be a well made piece. Made from 1915 well into the thirties. Saw many photos of these bein' used in the Spanish Civil War.

Bought from Dennis Kroh, Empire Arms. Photos look good and Dennis did not mention any Bub work. Supposed to be in very good to better condition. Mirror strong bore as he described it. Looks like a complete original to me, accordin' to the info I found. Sling hangers, old military slidin' rear sight. Strong markings. Crescent butt plate. And Spanish walnut furniture. No import markins', so guess it came here in the late fifties early sixties with other Spanish Civil War firearms. What I read, "A" prefixed five digit serial would be early thirties production?

Dreamed of havin' somethin' like this as a kid. Read that three modified 92s were used on the old "Rifleman" show. Two were Winchesters and one an El Tigre.

Anybody with shootin' experience or opinions about these neat little carbines welcome, and thanks. Will now do a bit more pokin' around.

Lancebear

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Never owned one, but have seen a few, that ranged in condition from very nice indeed to very well worn and abused. They all seemed to work smoothly and well, though a couple of the worn ones had occasional feed problems related to cartridge lifters.

I would expect yours will work fine. I wouldn't try to hot-rod it, though.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Thanks Clyde,

Don't hot rod, aim every shot. Remembered today have a copy of David Chicoine's Antique Firearms Assembly/Disassembly book. The 92 is covered. Don't think I will completely strip this piece like usual. Too many small parts, and not familiar with lever actions. Will take the wood off and spray the metal down inside and out, let it soak a day or two, then drip and dry.

Asked Dennis how the hell he was doin', hadn't bought from him in a few years. Lost his older brother recently and mangled his hand dealin' with some contraption his brother owned. He's a tough guy, and life goes on and so does his business. Good guy. Carbine will be here tomorrow, as usual excellent service even with duress. Read that the Model 92 is a scaled down and simplified version of the 1886. I'm brave with disassembling a new firearm, but will take it easy with this one till I study the action more.

Have a Colt Lightning .22 pump, 1887. Stripped that one down completely. Took a month to clean the insides up and get it back together. Not as complicated as a 92, but a dam Chinese puzzle. Even got in touch with Chicoine when I got stuck. Wrote that he had never worked on one. And there are no references on take down and reassembly. Tough but fun project.

LB

The El Tigre was just a patent infringement that was produced in Spain. Lots of them sold in Central and South America years ago. The 1892 action is indeed a "baby" 1886 action. Complete disassembly is not necessary, just a good spraying with Crudcutter or it's equivalent, lubricate and you are good to go. So many guys have a burning desire to tear a rifle down to the last screw and end up with a bunch of headaches.

Thanks Mike. Stock came off easy, good screw. Perfectly clean inside, noticed assembly number on the left of the top tang. Matches one on the front of the stock, interestin'. Took the band screw out to check for rust under the fore piece. None, put a lil' bit of Penn Reel grease on the mag. No further disassembly. Oiled the action up with Break Free, that's it, done. Very clean tight carbine. Put a deerskin wrap on the ring and lower lever today. Looks good.

Lancebear

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

John M. Browning was indeed a demon designer. but a lot of his repeaters are over-complicated (he was hardly alone in that in that time frame - look at the things Pedersen turned out) with a high parts count and tricks to disassemble and put back together. The Model 92 (and its daddy the 1886) are among those. hey are also good guns that run well and work well. The 92 is probably the slickest, smoothest working lever gun around, and a copy that was well done (as the better Spanish copies were) is the same.

My 1894C Marlin is as good - once I "wore it in" with several hundred rounds and a lot of dry cycling.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Default Photos...

Clyde,

Did a deerskin wrap on the ring and bottom of the lever, cowboy style. This "Baby" is not "Broken in". Lockin' bars or whatever they are called, sharp like new and bright. Photos...

Lancebear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5562.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	316.8 KB 
ID:	665303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5564.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	298.5 KB 
ID:	665304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5566.JPG 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	665305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5569.jpg 
Size:	307.0 KB 
ID:	665306Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5570.JPG 
Size:	292.7 KB 
ID:	665307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5571.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	310.5 KB 
ID:	665308

Clyde were you able to make a deal on the 92 you wanted?

LB