Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Waiting on the Promag "Archangel" Mosin stock (Mosin brake pics added)

I wonder if anybody have any news as to when the stocks will start to be shipped out ... the Promag site says from May 15th on but so far , nothing .
    Have someone received theirs already ? I ordered mine on March 19th . Thanks ...
    Last edited by josey88; 06-27-2013 at 02:00 PM.

You going to call it a sniper rifle?

What I am going to do is shoot it ... I `ll leave the calling it to you if it pleases you . Feel free to name it whatever you like

I saw one on eBay in a plain box claiming to have been shipped to somebody who ordered early, shipped without the fancy packaging.
    The seller was asking $400. It looked like some stocks are arriving but the packaging and distribution is not yet complete.

They've been promising me one for two months now, I finally gave up.

Update : I just got the e-mail from Promag that my stock have shipped out .
    I ordered the stock plus 2-10 rd magazines . I`l post some pics and impressions when I get my hands on it .
    They did not include tracking and that is strange , but... so I cannot tell of an aproximate arrival date , but coming from Kalifornia this thing will take a week at least to arrive , if not more . Anyway, it will arrive sooner or later , so I`ll find some more patience ... hope it is worth it .
    Last edited by josey88; 06-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.

cant wait to see it i have a mosin bent bolt and barreled receiver just waitin for 1.But i am waiting to hear real people reviews on em before i spend that much money on one.The 10 round mag,s and ease of adding a scope and bent bolt handle is the thing,s made me decide to take this good action and bore and drop it one of those.

lol good answer.On call it what ya want .I like that.lol.

Rec the stock and mags last week

I received my stock last week but didn't get the extra 10 round magazine I had ordered but had been charged for. I called and they refunded my money and will ship the 10 rounder when they get them (less shipping costs).

The stock came in a plain brown box with brown wrapping and the invoice said the retail boxing was not used because they wanted to ship it ASAP.

The only problem is the 5 round magazine doesn't work properly as it won't feed. I called again and the tech said they had a run of bad magazines (warped sides from improper molding) and issued me a RA and e-mailed me a return UPS label. I'll send it back tomorrow and will hopefully get a replacement soon.

I do like the stock and it seems to be well made. Being a new item they are bound to have a few bugs to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    +1. With all due respect - we need to start using names correctly. How can we criticize the press for calling semi-autos - assault rifles. All scope hunting rifles - sniper rifles?
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Saw one on eBay starting at something like $190, no box. Wait and see - I guess they are having growing pains.

Guys, I received the stock today . Came in a plain brown box , not too heavy but sturdy and wrapped in heavy paper . The whole thing , box and stock arrived in perfect condition with no damage from shipping at all . The 3 magazines , the 5 rd and the 2 10rds mags insert correctly, as far as I can tell . I inserted them in and out a few times and it seem that all will function correctly. I cannot try loading them with ammo on the rifle yet , since I have yet to file the stock to acomodate the Rock Solid bent bolt . Also I would have to sand a removable plastic piece that comes with the stock ( in case you have a rear sight type rifle that goes around the whole barrel) ... I have a 91-30 with a dovetailed rear sight so the piece stays on but it needs a little bit of light sanding to make the barrel completely free floated ... no big deal .
    My impression of the stock : impressive quality and finish ... this thing is a bargain at this price . Solid and kind of heavy ; Not too much but enough to feel the quality of a great product. This is an awesome stock ... adjustable butt pad, adjustable cheek rest , bipod adapter , magazine system... my Mosin will like this very much .
    I am glad I bought it . I will post pics of it when I finish the install .
    Last edited by josey88; 06-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Calif, land run by liberals, and illegal immigrants

So, how about a picture of your new stock? Oops, didn't see your last sentence. Looking foreward to seeing your rig!

yep waitin as well.

The only way to really see if the mags work is too load them and cycle the rounds. Mine wouldn't feed 5 rounds but would sometimes feed 3 rounds due to the sides of the mag being bowed in. Just inserting them doesn't show if they will feed properly as mine functioned in that regard just fine. Hopefully, mine was one of the few that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by AniWaya View Post
    The only way to really see if the mags work is too load them and cycle the rounds. Mine wouldn't feed 5 rounds but would sometimes feed 3 rounds due to the sides of the mag being bowed in. Just inserting them doesn't show if they will feed properly as mine functioned in that regard just fine. Hopefully, mine was one of the few that didn't work.
    Ok... I finished drilling and installing the bipod /sling stud adapter and filing the small cavity that is needed in order to acomodate the Rock Solid bent bolt on the side of the receiver, so that is now done .
    The barrel of my Mosin on this stock seats too close to the stock and I cannot pass a piece of paper in between when the screws are tighted , so I installed the "tensioner" piece included and after a little adjustment , the barrel now is separated enough from the stock so I can pass a paper folded in between ... I guess this will do .
    Now, to the mags : last night I disassembled my 3 magazines(1-5rd and 2-10rds) and , after pushing the follower in each one a few times (I already had checked that the inside magazine walls were straight , with no defects , etc that could cause the followers to get stuck) l put some grease on the followers (I use TW25b for everything, lol...) and inserted them one by one , again . I also noticed that the springs on these magazines are very , very weak and that can probably cause feeding problems , so I stretched each one a couple of times along the length of the springs and made sure that the spring side that goes to the follower have the very end(the spring is kind of curved) going towards the bullet side of the follower ... otherwise I think that the follower would not run correctly . I cut be wrong , but in any case , that is what I did . I had a lot of experience from massaging my 6 PSL magazines until they all finally now work flawlessly , so I have learned lots of tricks , and I think that these mags may be sensitive to the springs position, just like the PSL mags are .
    Anyway, today after I finished with the bolt , etc , I took the firing pin off and tried loading the mags with live ammo .
    I found out , after a few times of having some problems feeding , that exactly as mentioned on the instructions, you should insert the loaded magazine(I tried the 3 mags at full capacity , 5 rds and 10 rds each) with the CLOSED BOLT on the rifle . Then , you work the bolt back and forward and the rds start loading and ejecting correctly . If you insert the magazine with the bolt open , the magazine , for some mechanical reason , would get in too high and the first rd will get stuck in many cases and then would cause the following rds not to load by getting stuck inside the mag .
    So, I have developed a few tips :
    1) disassemble the brand new mags and check and grease or oil the followers a little bit to easy friction on the mag walls
    2) stretch the mag springs some , making sure the very end of the spring on the follower side follow the curve towards the bullet side of the follower, not the rimmed cartridge side.
    3) Always insert the magazine with the bolt closed
    I tried the magazines 4 times each ,all fully loaded(without firing pin and with the rifle on the floor , supported by the bipod) and they all worked perfectly , loading and ejecting each time , starting with the bolt closed .
    I think that once the mags are used a few times they will adjust completely to the rifle .
    I have yet to mount the scope on the rifle so I will do that later on , tomorrow .
    Almost forgot : Most importantly , load the mags by pushing the cartridge from the top , straight down , not sliding the rd from the front to back , like in any other mag . Make sure that the rim is ahead of the previous rd , but push the cartridge straight down the magazine from the rear ... then you will be loading correctly. This is a single column magazine .If you try a regular loading , the side wire will be bent , and then you are screwed big time. It didn`t happen to me , but I saw it on youtube before so I avoided the trouble.
    Hopefully some of these tips will help folks that are having problems with the new magazines
    Last edited by josey88; 06-13-2013 at 12:35 PM.

My magazine was clearly defective even after doing all the tips you mention in your post. I also told the tech at that I thought the springs seemed weak and he said it was not a spring problem and the springs were fine as is. As I stated before the problem they had was some of the mags warped during manufacture and they will replace them on their dime.

I have also had experience massaging PSL mags.

This is why i was in no rush to jump the gun on these. ill give em about 6 month's see what people say. think the mag tips are dead on as well. Always kink's in any new product i have learned to wait a while before jumping on new parts and accessorie's, but i think in the end this will be seen at many ranges across US.

My magazine was clearly defective even after doing all the tips you mention in your post. I also told the tech at that I thought the springs seemed weak and he said it was not a spring problem and the springs were fine as is. As I stated before the problem they had was some of the mags warped during manufacture and they will replace them on their dime.

I have also had experience massaging PSL mags.
    If the mag is defective , it is defective , as the word implies and there is nothing to be done , except replacement . I was lucky I guess that my magazines are not defective so that is great .
    I was suggesting some small ways to facilitate functioning on these new magazines ... unfortunately , it didn`t work for you .
    When you get the replacement , try it , because if it worked for me it will work for everybody else . The inside plastic walls of those mags have grooves and the follower run thru those grooves ...a little lubing will help .

Youtube video by Promag explaining the various problems and fixes for the stock and magazines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIfPv_JL2M

Quote Originally Posted by mil-surpshooter64 View Post
    This is why i was in no rush to jump the gun on these. ill give em about 6 month's see what people say. think the mag tips are dead on as well. Always kink's in any new product i have learned to wait a while before jumping on new parts and accessorie's, but i think in the end this will be seen at many ranges across US.
    Promag also said in the video that prices will be less at the distributors. Their price is full MSRP so that they don't undercut them.

Well... done . Stock installed , bipod and scope. Did not have problems with the mags , so I was lucky . The rifle handles good and it is most definitety way more comfortable that the regular Mosin wood .
    The scope is centered and just 5 mms about the barrel and it feels good . The scope is mounted on offside 30mm rings , a highly modified side mount screwed to a side rail that is then attached by screws to the top of the receiver, not to the stock . It is 100% solid after 200 rds and it is exactly as it was on the old wood stock . This thing will be rocking next week at the range . Here are some pics

Last edited by josey88; 06-14-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Nice pics! I am waiting for my stock and lags. I am also going to put a Timney trigger on the rifle. The Archangle stock has room for the safety.

NICE , looks great dude.Cant wait to see the range report on it, so ya got the mags working good i guess, I also noticed you have the safety knob i see on net for sale how does that fit and work? nice and tight?That came out wicked lookin i have to have one now lol. Will sure make this mosin action and barrel look nice i got ripped on with the modified bolt was told it was authentic sniper, it isnt, but i have a use for it now. Thanx for the pic's.BTW what kind of scope is that?Wish i could get a closer look at the mount set up.Does the wife moan when ya use her kitchen for pics lol mine would.

Yes, the ring knob looks nice and I use it mostly for cosmetic looks ... I just like the way it looks on the rifle . The bolt is a Rock Solid bent bolt , in my opinion the absolute best around . The scope is a Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 AO Tactical 30mm scope .
    I have a Huber trigger along with a return trigger spring and a highly massaged Sear on the rifle . The whole thing has about 4 pounds of pressure pull and it feels like a second stage trigger . It is also very smooth ... As it is now , it is a complete different trigger if you compare it to the original , crude Mosin trigger .
    One thing I did was I polished the receiver inside and the result is that the bolt works with one finger and as smooth as my Savage Tactical 10FCP-5R HS-Precision .308 , but what I like most is that I can shoot cheap ammo on this thing . The Savage is a sub-Moa rifle but eats only Federal Gold Match 168/175gr match ammo and it is so expensive that I don`t use it , at least for the time being until things and price go back to normality , I hope.
    Ok, I cannot obtain sub Moa accuracy out of the Mosin , but with this stock I will most certainly enjoy shooting my 4 spam cans that are waiting for it , lol...
    Here are the two on a couple of pics .
    Last edited by josey88; 06-14-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Awesome set up's my man , and yes i would most deff define those as sniper rifles now no matter what the purist's say. btw did you polish inside the chamber with a dremel? sounds like a good idea and what compound did ya use if i may ask?And i am anxiously awaiting the range report on the one you just finnished. those are wicked looking hi 5s on those.snipers? hell yea, only a moron could miss with those.Have to say , i like the pro mag stock even better then the other you have, awesome look.Is the fluted barrel rifle even a mosin? hard to tell from the pic,s.
    Last edited by mil-surpshooter64; 06-14-2013 at 03:44 PM.

oop,s never mind i see it is a savage .

Update : Even thou the rifle seated firmly on the stock with no movement after the screws were tighted , thinking about it I got kind of curious and went ahead and separated the rifle from the stock again to look in detail at how the action actually sat on the stock . I found that the recoil lug was at least 1 to 2 mms wider than my recoil lug . On the rear (where the rear screw meets the stock) , the same , on deep and wide . So, I got my trusty J&B Weld and bedded the stock on those places .
    Now the stock seats solidly encased the way it is suppose to . The recoil lug now is completely encased with no possibility of play .
    I understand that this stock have been made to fit universal Mosins of different types and I am not complaining , to the contrary ... I like the stock a lot , but if you want to make a correct fitting to your rifle , you will need to do these little things .
    As I mentioned before , I had to install the "tensioner" included with the stock and paper sand the barrel channel a little to make it free floated so a busines card will pass in between barrel and stock .
    I`ll post a couple of pics today in a little while , before final assembling .

Last edited by josey88; 06-17-2013 at 11:42 AM.

Please include how you did the stock recoil lug area with jb weld ,i have never used jb weld, im curious now as i need to install a recoil lug on a boyds stock i have for sporter jap rifle. Cant test fire it until i install the recoil lug which is only thing i have never attempted looks easy but could use any pointers you may have as i plan on getting the pro mag stock as well. thanx my man on the great detailed liitle tweeks they may need.

Please include how you did the stock recoil lug area with jb weld ,i have never used jb weld, im curious now as i need to install a recoil lug on a boyds stock i have for sporter jap rifle. Cant test fire it until i install the recoil lug which is only thing i have never attempted looks easy but could use any pointers you may have as i plan on getting the pro mag stock as well. thanx my man on the great detailed liitle tweeks they may need.
    It is a simple thing . First , clean the stock area well (I use brake cleaner) then , get a small piece of cardboard , put equal parts of the epoxy on it , mix it well and apply it . Get car wax and cover the metal action/recoil lug , etc( any part that will get in contact with the epoxy ), with the wax to avoid the epoxy to get glued to it . Put the receiver back on the stock and tight the screws tight but not fully tight , then wait 4 to 6 hours , lift the action carefully , clean up everything and you are ready .
    Last edited by josey88; 06-16-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Youtube video by Promag explaining the various problems and fixes for the stock and magazines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIfPv_JL2M
    Since I noticed that besides what I did to improve them , I still had the followers not running completely free inside the mags , so I went ahead and followed to the exact T the Promag instructions on youtube to heat up the mags : Insert the follower sideways as required on the instructions , Oven pre-heated to 225 degrees and a PIECE of CARDBOARD to place the mags on top ... done . Crossed my fingers and closed the kitchen oven door . 15 minutes later , exactly , I took the mags out . They were hot to the touch , but not to the melting point , precisely as they said they would be . I had a bucket of cool water ready ( some ice cubes too, to make it even cooler) and I dropped them on the water for 5 minutes . The 3 mags came out perfect, with no sign of melting damage or heat damage at all inside or out , and this time the followers were running freely thru the mags ... again , as predicted on the instructions .
    Cleaned them , lubed them , assembled them and loaded each mag and tried it each one 5 consecutive times on the rifle , with not a single hiccup on any of them feeding or ejecting... 100% functioning on the 3 magazines ... hell , it seemed like I was working the bolt on my Savage , lol ... !!! I went to bed very cheerful !!!
    This means that these guys at Promag are telling the truth and there is no need to send the magazines to them because we can fix them very easily at home . They would do exactly the same , so save the hassle ... the fix works 100% .
    The piece of cardboard will impede the heat to get to the magazines from beneath directly , so that is important . And make sure the Oven works correctly and it is reliable ... Keep a vigilant eye just in case anyway .
    Last edited by josey88; 06-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    No offense, you did good work, but that thing is UGLY. Please don't call it a sniper rifle; that implies that it's for shooting at humans. Call it a target rifle if you have to call it anything.
    "A golf course is nothing but a willfull and deliberate misuse of a rifle range." Theodore Roosevelt
    "Oh Lord, bring back Charleton Heston and we'll give you back Jim Carrey"

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN M View Post
    No offense, you did good work, but that thing is UGLY. Please don't call it a sniper rifle; that implies that it's for shooting at humans. Call it a target rifle if you have to call it anything.
    Brian , I always have referred to my 10FCP-5R HS-Precision Savage as a Tactical rifle , or Sniper`s rifle and rightfully so , because that`s what it is ... a Sub-Moa rifle , capable of very accurate , precise shooting at long distances . On the other hand , My Mosin is just that : a customized old warrior with an upgraded stock and parts that will make it more comfortable for me to use it at the shooting range ... that is all .
    I will call it as I always did : my customized Mosin . I hope that will put you at ease
    Last edited by josey88; 06-18-2013 at 09:23 PM.

I just wish the tech at promag had suggested the oven fix for the mag. But, he didn't (maybe they hadn't figured it out yet) and had me send it back , still haven't got the replacement mag.

Who cares what he calls it, its his firearm and not yours.

No offense, you did good work, but that thing is UGLY .
    I think it looks awesome

My "beef" is that they advertise it as a "drop-in" stock.
    Well, yeah, it can be- as long as it's overcut to accomodate, resulting in the sloppy fit you had.
    Anyone that owns Mosin-Nagants knows there's no such thing as a "drop-in" fit that's going to be correct.

Really, how can you produce a "drop-in" stock, when actions look like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130314_090834_zpsbc911eba.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	673274

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    My "beef" is that they advertise it as a "drop-in" stock.
    Well, yeah, it can be- as long as it's overcut to accomodate, resulting in the sloppy fit you had.
    Anyone that owns Mosin-Nagants knows there's no such thing as a "drop-in" fit that's going to be correct.

Really, how can you produce a "drop-in" stock, when actions look like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130314_090834_zpsbc911eba.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	308.3 KB 
ID:	673274
    How right you are ... absolutely correct .
    Today I went to the range with the Mosin and brought along my M28/76 to do some comparison in grouping .
    I shot 90 rds with the Mosin with the ProMag stock and 30 rds with the M28/76 (the last 12 rds with the 76 I had to use a folded towel to finish so my shoulder would not desintegrate ).
    For starters , the stock is very , very comfortable and absorbs recoil very well , to the extent that , in retrospect , I was only able to shoot 20 rds max with the wood stock and the steel butt and 25 rds max when I replaced the steel butt with the Mosin rubber butt . That is , 25 rds as to the absolute maximum before my shoulder was completely gone and black for a week after that .
    So, 90 rds was impressive , to say the least . A little bit uncomfortable afterwards , but very acceptable .
    Now , to the magazines :
    The magazines performed 100% perfect ... no hiccups of any kind at all . I used first the 5rd mag a couple of times and then I started to use the two 10rd magazines . Those 10 rd mags save a lot of time and are very comfortable on shooting at the range . I was using a Bipod as I normally like to do , instead of the usual small sand bags on the bench .
    With a bolt action rifle , those 10 rds last some time , so you are able to shoot more and load less ... ***** five stars on my list .
    But ...(there is always a but) the rifle would not group well at 100 meters . Not even a close comparison with the m28/76 that was shooting the same ammo and I was obtaining groups of 5 shots of 1 to 1.5 inches. I was getting 3 to 4 inches groups and a lot of runaways , so I knew that something was not right . Before, with the well bedded wood stock and free floated barrel , I was able to get 2 to 2.5 inches groups at 100 meters with the Mosin , so something is a miss .
    I got to the conclusion that my Mosin doesn`t like the "tensioner" at all . Since the stock barrel channel is too close without it , I would need to enlarge the channel and probably re-bed the recoil lug again . I believe that this solution will solve the problem completely .
    In any case, this stock , while not a "drop in" by any means , it can be customized to work very , very well . I am glad I bought it . The magazine system is a fantastic add on ... very nice indeed .
    After I fix the bedding problem and go back to the range , I will post results on accuracy
    Last edited by josey88; 06-21-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Update :
    Well, I ended up bedding the whole stock . I concluded that it would be the best thing and do it right , the right way .
    Now, the stock seats correctly .
    I started by spreading the J-B Weld along all the bed points of the stock and I placed 4 busines cards at front (bent to follow the barrel`s round contour) between the barrel and the stock . Then I lowered the action and tighted the screws loosely .
    4 hours later , when I checked , after I cleaned the whole thing , it was perfect . Now , after I screwed and torqued down the action screws , I can pass 2 busines cards along the whole length of the barrel very easily , so it is perfect. I also used sand paper to reduce the plastic insert piece (for the rifles that have the all around rear sight) so it would not touch the barrel at all . The barrel now is free floated and I can pass the two busines cards all the way to the recoil lug .
    Next week , range time .
    I can`t wait because I also ordered a Mosin Plus Fast Lock muzzle brake . I have read reviews on this thing and everybody says it works great and does not get loose , so I will be trying it for at least 100 rds. I`ll post pics ahead when I receive it.
    Now the whole action is solidly seated at all points on the stock , the recoil lug is encased 100% solid and the barrel is free floated all the way . .
    I should point out that I thickened the recoil lug`s entire outside forward wall of the stock to twice the thickness to make it a very strong point and as an added base complement of the bedding , so the action seats firm and solidly on it , along with the encasing on the recoil lug itself. That makes the recoil lug a very strong point ... no play there , for sure . It can be seen on the 2nd pic more clearly.
    Here are some pics of the bedded stock :

Last edited by josey88; 06-29-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Great job, but you may have made a mistake. If you look behind the tang on a Finn or Russian stock, there is an open area behind the tang. Without this the recoil would split the stock. With your bedding, and a plastic stock this might be no issue. But relieving behind the tang could possibly keep you from finding out at the expense of a new stock.

I respectfully disagree . I think that the action has to be solidly tighted to the stock and completely immobilized without any play at all on recoil when the firearm is fired.
    About the spaces on those eastern stocks , I also think that the sloppy fitting is because of zero quality control , low skilled workmanship and mass quantity production ... not because the rifles required such poorly inlet fitting on the stocks
    Last edited by josey88; 06-24-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
    I think it looks awesome
    150% AGREE.UGLY?are you kidding me?man some people just do not know what good work and the results mean, that is a very nice set up now and would proudly display it at the range. i may never go as far as he has to accureize it, it is what it is, but ugly is an uncalled for insult i think .The man did great work on a new product and gave a lot of people idea's for these stock's & old part's guns and various other things as well. I say hi 5'S to josey, and his work, and his new set up for an old warhorse that will now bang away for another 100 yrs we hope. why all the hostility to it?Great job and thanx for all the new info josey. i do not know if i woulda bedded it back there like that myself as well but let us know how it shoot's next time you take her to the range and when we entered vietnam, with the obvious need of a sniper platform, they actually bought up a chytload of winchester 70,s and they were scoped & bedded and issued to sniper,s.I would say that ranks them as such.Was good enough for Carlos hathcock.I read his book.99 kill's

Where can i find those mosin plus Muzzle brakes Josey?

Where can i find those mosin plus Muzzle brakes Josey?
    There you go ...http://mosinplus.com/
    He had 3 left ... I bought one , so perhaps he still has some .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast