Gunboards Forums banner

Life Below Zero: Life with the Hailstones on NGC - M39 out in the snow

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  mike radford 
#1 ·
Interesting, saw a glimpse of the guy carrying the M39 in the snow as my wife was fast forwarding thru something else we
had recorded on NGC. Made her rewind so I could make sure I hadn't imagined it. The clip shows quite a collection of
milsurp, alot of it Russian.

go to:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/life-below-zero/

and look up the "life with the hailstones" video.

#2 ·
I love the trailer, especially Agnes with all of her milsurp firearms!

I believe the series will be a winner!

I do like that it shows survival, hunting, fishing, and families working together.

They need to limit video of the loners, as it looks weird. More about the Inupiak ways, please!

#5 ·
Plus, evidently, the Hollyweird folks tried to script more weirdnees for the Hairspring Family/clan to do in front of the cameras, but, they all refused to do other things that weren't the norm for them to survive in Alaska! So, how much of what whiner Sue Aiken says is real, vs. Hollyweird?

I watch to see a family work and survive together. I like to see sharing and supportiveness for all members of the clan, on equal footing!

The loners, Erik & Sue, might be a bit weird, because where are their mates, family? We watch to see the interactions, learning, and happiness of
family groups! When Sue was badly injured by the bear attack, she laid there for 10 days? How weird is that?

#11 ·
Oh, Wow!! Im so glad you like'd :D

I think the majority isn't 'scripted', its edited, but not scripted. The major mid show change (well, during the first shoots) it came to didtching what guys mucho south of here thought it should be and what really is happening here, in AK. That's how we all ended up narrating ourselves, and that's made quite a big difference. As I understand, Sue is REALLY Bear crazy...... and the others are just what they are.

This Sundays episode, I think, we get out for Caribou, something were definitely are good at. The biggest problem with shooting that was Shooting itself; the Caribou were so close to and through town, we had to leave town to get some real shooting in !!~~LOL!!~~ and were picky about fresh meats, as we had plenty on the meat rack (made it through winter with 4 to spare :D) and only fat ones would do, and that's what we did :D

#19 ·
Hats off, bro! You make us all proud. Wish I could do what you are doing, at least up until December!
(My house in California is open if you get bored around January.)

Oh, Wow!! Im so glad you like'd :D

I think the majority isn't 'scripted', its edited, but not scripted. The major mid show change (well, during the first shoots) it came to didtching what guys mucho south of here thought it should be and what really is happening here, in AK. That's how we all ended up narrating ourselves, and that's made quite a big difference. As I understand, Sue is REALLY Bear crazy...... and the others are just what they are.

This Sundays episode, I think, we get out for Caribou, something were definitely are good at. The biggest problem with shooting that was Shooting itself; the Caribou were so close to and through town, we had to leave town to get some real shooting in !!~~LOL!!~~ and were picky about fresh meats, as we had plenty on the meat rack (made it through winter with 4 to spare :D) and only fat ones would do, and that's what we did :D

#12 ·
First off, Great show, really enjoyed it.

Now the only question I have is where in the heck is your computer? Do you get internet to your house?
Either way good luck out there and with the show! Ill be tuned in I know that!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Caribou, maybe the producers can be dealt with and figure out a new version. New show just about your family and what ya'll do. First season is in the can? Direct the producers here and get them to read our comments.

Back and forth between people works for "Swamp People" , but a show about just you guys would be a hit. No bull stuff, the real things ya'll do. Never a dull moment, huntin', fishin', trappin, and the carvin' that Agnes does. Firearm collectin', reloadin', shootin', etc. And all of the food stuff:).

"Livin' Hard in Alaska, the Hailstones". A real tale about tough Alaskans who live right, off the land, water and ice.

Lancebear

#17 ·
Caribou, maybe the producers can be dealt with and figure out a new version. New show just about your family and what ya'll do. First season is in the can? Direct the producers here and get them to read our comments.

Back and forth between people works for "Swamp People" , but a show about just you guys would be a hit. No bullshit stuff, the real things ya'll do. Never a dull moment, huntin', fishin', trappin, and the carvin' that Agnes does. Firearm collectin', reloadin', shootin', etc. And all of the food stuff:).

"Livin' Hard in Alaska, the Hailstones". A real tale about tough Alaskans who live right, off the land, water and ice.

Lancebear
+1 :)

How about "Life with no clock" ? :D
The mind boggling adventures of people who do as the do when they do it, and follow the weather rather than any form of "time", counted in sleeps, bends in the river and if kids are getting up and out for school, with 24/7 dark to 24/7 day light and all changing hours/Seasons inbetween ~~LOL!!~~

hahahahhah, we have "dish" 90$ a month (='s 11 gallons of gas, so an easy buy ~~LOL!!~~) , man, the internet is EVERYWHERE.... (just ask Al Gore)
Getting a good laugh out of this - spent a couple of years in the Arctic Brigade ( Or Brig N) of the Norwegian Army,and dealt with the same type of characters among the Sami population. Asked one Sami once if he knew what time it was, and he just looked puzzled at me and told me "daytime" and went back to making his pot of coffee over the fire .....He seemed to think I was a moron from the south since I couldn't tell it was daytime and had to ask........ :)

#14 ·
How about "Life with no clock" ? :D
The mind boggling adventures of people who do as the do when they do it, and follow the weather rather than any form of "time", counted in sleeps, bends in the river and if kids are getting up and out for school, with 24/7 dark to 24/7 day light and all changing hours/Seasons inbetween ~~LOL!!~~

hahahahhah, we have "dish" 90$ a month (='s 11 gallons of gas, so an easy buy ~~LOL!!~~) , man, the internet is EVERYWHERE.... (just ask Al Gore)

#15 ·
Caribou that's perfect. "Life with no Clock" , understand what you wrote, but have never lived like that. Makes sense. Weather defines your lifestyle. Hunted, fished, trawled for shrimp and crabbed with my dad when I was younger. Only was a bit cold on rabbit huntin' trips. Sissy weather for you guys, coupla' degrees below freezin' a few times. Most times when doin' all the other critter gettin', heat was the problem, and havin' enough ice for the shrimp.

Ya'll should have your own show, and that's bout' all I have to say about that. If that ever happens, creative control by you and Agnes would be a good thing. Good luck. Will write a sticky note to remember Sunday night's show.

Lancebeer

#16 ·
Yeah, ESP. in summer... He (Caribou) gets the real deal... me I just get close, but try telling a kid it's bed time, when the sun is no where close to setting
insomnia is an occupation up here, not uncommon to hear kids riding bikes at midnight, or a neighbor mowing the lawn at 10pm

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.