Gunboards Forums banner

Japanese capture of Russian Mosin Nagant rifles

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Iron_Colonel 
#1 ·
Have seen threads and posts as to how some Russian Mosin Nagant rifles wound up in Japanese hands, so thought this might be of interest as to just how far back such occurred.

I have been plodding through five volume “Reports of (American) military observers in Manchuria” during the 1904-05 Russo-Japanese war. It is a very lengthy read I downloaded for free to my Kindle from: https://archive.org/details/reportsmilitary00stafgoog and http://digital.library.yale.edu/cdm/...d/68663/rec/19

Occassionally some Japanese troops were seen with Russian rifles. but after the battle of Mukden and the surrender of Port Arthur, transportation troops were issued captured Russian rifles which they strapped on back of the seats of horse drawn carts and etc..

The observers delved extensively into minutia on all aspects of the war, and this includes the use of the bayonet by both antagonists. The bayonet was not a show accessory and saw much use, especially so during night attacks when combat was very up close and personal. The Russian’s always had the bayonet attached to their rifles and no scabbards to be seen worn by soldiers.

#8 ·
A rare, intact Pre-1908 Mosin. Most of the ones captured by Japan in 1904-5, and the later WW I Mosins taken over by Japan at Vladivostok ( mostly US-made Mosins) were converted into "School and University training rifles"

SO that one is very "uncommon" with all its original 1891 features ( Flat rear sight, for Heavy RN Ball); "musket" type sling-swivels ( Mag. and upper Band) and No sling slots.

regards,
Doc AV

#10 ·
And no upper band sling swivel on mine, which is correct. The swivel was dropped in the 1896 to 1898 period, and a sling with a front "hook" was used to hang on the front band screw.

But aside from that, Doc, yes. These (likely) Japanese captures rarely survived entirely intact, or escaped training rifle alterations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.