All psl owners please read and comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All psl owners please read and comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default All psl owners please read and comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all my fellow psl owners this is directed at you......after much work Id like to let you guys in on something I have been working on for quite some time....POLYMER PSL MAGS!!!!!! the pictures you see are the PROTOTYPE of a polymer mag for the psl rifle that I will soon be offering for sale, the color will be black not the grey you see here. what Id like to know is how many of you guys would like to own a mag like this? I cant give an exact date as to when these will be ready at this time but....the prototypes done and its been tested. The cost will be somewhere in the $25.00 to $30.00 range.Take a close look at the pics and please post any feedback or ideas. Thanks for taking the time guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130610_162243_zps438a4058.jpg  

20130610_162713_zps7a88c1b6.jpg  

20130610_162638_zpsbf51fabc.jpg  

20130610_162626_zps029dcd6b.jpg  

20130610_162612_zps30bb997c.jpg  

20130610_162526_zps2a6900e1.jpg  

20130610_162429_zps96797679.jpg  

20130610_162359_zps47167ea0.jpg  

The lips appear to be thin plastic. This has been a problem on other plastic mag I have bought over the years. I stopped buying mags if the lips are plastic and not steel. I am willing to try one more time, but I will wait and see.

The price range is good and in the ball park I would buy some spares.

How many rounds have been tested with the prototype so far?

Thanks for your effort on this.

ron
    RVN 67-68

"I will be sure-always".....
    final words of rigger pledge

so far 100 rounds
    this isnt the polymer mag its to test the program

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

once the programs proofed the mold will be made and the mag will be polymer not plastic like the prototype ill test the pre production run a lot harder than this one
    this is for fit and function only. it fits tight
    locks up nice and wont cost as much as the metal ones

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Have you considered making a 5 round mag? The originals are hard to find and I see request for them in the WTB forum from time to time. I have one 5 rounder and three of the ten and when I do get to make it to the range I usually only shoot 5 round groups at a time and let the rifle cool some.
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

I would be interested in one for now and if it works a few more

Considering the prices of metal magazines being so high and with reliability issues with many of them, demand certainly exists for reliable magazines at a lower price. I'd get one or two. If they prove durable and reliable, I'd get more.
    Dark Forces on the march...
    Angel's Glow is out! The Peacock Papers begin
    https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Glow-P...s=davis+riddle
    The Battle of Shiloh and a demonic disease spreads!

The Visitor, another story from the Peacock Papers!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

My thought is its going to be a little difficult to make psl mags for a ton of different rifles. I believe each psl had their own set of mags and some people, including me, run into issues not using those mags. I could be wrong but
    hope I am. Good luck!

How many rifles have they been tried through? Any thought on letting a few people here try them to check for reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by hemmingsenm View Post
    My thought is its going to be a little difficult to make psl mags for a ton of different rifles. I believe each psl had their own set of mags and some people, including me, run into issues not using those mags. I could be wrong but
    hope I am. Good luck
    It's true, but in the five or so mags I purchased after I bought my PSL only 2 didn't fit particularly well, they went in with some difficulty, and one required near Gorilla strength to remove once it locked in. The good news is that it was easy to remedy with some careful filing, and they all fit like a glove now. Don't see why you couldn't do the same thing on a Poly mag, in fact I had to do just that with a few Tapco poly AK mags to get em' to fit my Arsenal SGL21 properly. Don't see this as any big deal, it's actually fairly common with the PSL, but generally easy to correct in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by hemmingsenm View Post
    hope I am. Good luck!

How many rifles have they been tried through? Any thought on letting a few people here try them to check for reliability?
    Your running with information you don't quite understand IMHO. Mags were hand fitted "rumored" but I think is true. How hard do you think it would be to run a file over polymer for fitting?

Yes I would buy 4 -5 atleast. You need to put this on other forums too if not already. We have seen a resurfacing of PSL mags that aren't moving very fast despite the $60 instead of $100 per mag. while the "no more" rumor was flying. I thought Cugir had a new .308 comming but haven't seen it yet... If you have success with these people would probably buy a 5 rounder and a 20 rounder.

Reliability?
    I can burn 100-200 rds in an afternoon when I am in a PSL mood. If son decides to shoot his ... there goes a spam can!
    We have over a dozen PSL mags, bought cheap when those "slightly rusted" (as in moth eaten with holes in them) were plentiful, and they all work fine!
    You send me one and I will beat it to death and let you know how it holds up!
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice work on this. Already have plenty of functional metal mags, otherwise I would consider polymer magazines. My only concern would be how the polymer holds up over the long haul, particularly in the area of feed lips and locking lug. Have some Bulgy AK polymer mags with metal reinforcing in those areas. No issues at all. Minor quibbling here. If a PSL owner needs magazines that function and are affordably priced, he should beat a path to your door. Again, nice work and best of luck in the future.

Interesting, but I too have enough original mags in great condition that I intend to keep (4 10 PSL's, a 5 PSL, a converted 10 SVD and one of each of the 5 round SVD types converted to PSL). I have tried selling a couple 5 round mags, but lately there hasn't been enough interest to sell for more than 10's (or sometimes even as much as). I'm not sure there really is a significant market for 5's.

I think the price is fantastic and you should be able to sell quite a few.

They may sell even better if they looked like SVD mags, plenty of people after that look.

I could use a couple. Plain sides would be fine with me.
    Last edited by v i t; 06-12-2013 at 08:53 PM.

I would buy a few, any chance they have bolt hold open followers?
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

I would buy a few, any chance they have bolt hold open followers?

Sure would make all those PSL owners with inop hold open devices happy!

I'm definitely interested! The apparent thick width is a bit of a concern. Those won't likely fit in many of the available pouches. Does it have to be that wide? The side X is also unnecessary. Something more streamlined would look better, IMO.
    http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/76_171/115_102/youhavemosins_sig-vi.jpg

ok id like to address the questions here, first these DO have the bolt hold open feature and it worked fine on my psl, second.. this mag has only been tested on my rifle so far, I only have the one prototype at this time and psl owners are kinda rare in my area. I cant say about the durability as of yet but as soon as i get my hands on the pre production run ill beat the sh$# outta one..also i will consider sending a few mags to fellow gb members to do the same ..IF... they would agree to beat hell outta the mag AND write their impressions here on the boards for all to see. I am not trying to re invent the wheel here guys just trying to provide a good mag at an affordable price. Im not a rich man and this may take awhile as the cost of the molds isn't cheap. lastly once this is going good i have all ready thought of a 15 or perhaps 20 round mag, again thanks for your comments so far and please let me know of any further thoughts.

oh i forgot to add this..this mag fits my standard Romanian 4 cell mag pouch perfectly!!!!!

Send me one ill abuse it

I volunteer to put one through a torture test. Please let me know. The hi-capacity mag idea is also a great one.
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

Quote Originally Posted by hutch isle term View Post
    oh i forgot to add this..this mag fits my standard Romanian 4 cell mag pouch perfectly!!!!!
    What about the 2 mag pouches like on the Beez Combat PSL chest rig...? I'll also toss my name out there as a beta-tester.

Well, I'm certainly willing to buy a couple to try. Good luck with this project, by the way.

How about red bakelite look to match the grip cap

id like to thank you all for the comments and ideas how to make this better, the red bakelites a great idea!!!!! Im not sure about the chest rig as i don't have one to test fit it to. and it looks like it will be awhile before i have any mags to send to anyone to be tested but im working on this as hard as i can go, im just a working stiff and this takes both time and money. the main idea behind this post was to see if there was enough interest t warrant going farther and it seems there is. Please guys keep the comments coming and when these are ready ill send out a some to gb members on the condition that a report will be written (no punches pulled!) here on gb for all to see! and ill put another 100 or so rounds thru this test mag this weekend..... so far so good.

I would go for a 15 or 20

as i said both those ideas are in the works as well but there wont be anything larger than a 20 round mag

I applaud your effort, both I and my son (along with some other buddies) have PSL's and enjoy shooting them once in a while. Picked up a bunch (10 or 12) of Fair Condition mags a few years ago from Sponsor Reich Trading. Fortunately he is in Vegas and I was able to hand pick. I am not sure if he has any left. They will need some "TLC" to clean, but will work. Price was right, and son & I don't care what the look like, just that they work. One comment I would have is your price mark, based on personal experience, unless you really run a big quantity, I think it will be hard to hold the $25 - $30 price tag, and make any profit for yourself. And, priced much higher will be competing with original metal mags for the same or near same price. Now, as some have mentioned, think about what is not available, 5 round, 15 or 20 round - no competition!! I would think a light weight polymer 20 round mag would be a great seller, even at a higher price. I also like the red or plum color Idea, really stand out and have the East Bloc look. Good luck on your project, I assure you it will be a learning experience - Skid

the mags will be run in lots of 1k, i wont have a problem holding this price range....im not out to get rich. I am also considering going with a stainless steel spring as well. As for this being a learning experience..brother..you got that right.

You really want to see "interest," post these pics over on the AKfiles SVD/PSL forum http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumd...c&daysprune=-1. You will see interest!

15 rd for states that have a 15 rd limit. 20 may be too long for bench/prone unless you are using a bi-pod with long legs, which is not a sturdy platform. Must have the follower for the hold open.
    There are a lot of PSLs out there but no more coming in so the market will be constricted to current owners. There may be an overseas market where the PSL is still in use and widespread but they may already have all they need. There may be a huge hidden hoard of original mags sitting in a warehouse somewhere and if some importer trips across them and floods the market, you are SOL.
    I don't doubt that as I picked up my "slightly rusted" spares for $10@. They looked like they had been stored in a sewer but cleaned up ok and all worked fine despite holes eaten through the sides.
    I don't recall ever seeing any mention or discussion of whether or not mags were designed as "throw away" pre-loaded made and stored for military use that way which could mean tons of them hiding somewhere waiting to be discovered.
    Spring tension over 10 rds may prove problematic as it is already reaching the "tough" point cramming the 10th round in and any more may require a loader device to compress them.

The one problem with loaded spare mags and a PSL ... you tend to burn a lot of ammo really fast! There are days I only stuff 5 at a time just to slow down my rate of fire forcing frequent reloads and even limiting myself to taking only one mag to the range so I don't burn a can of ammo!
    Another problem is how many you can carry. A load bearing vest with 10 spares is uncomfortable and heavy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PSL8.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	671527
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have looked into metal inserts for the feed lips and locking lug..that type addition would drive the price beyond what id like to hold it at, some of the other AK type mags made don't have these, im well aware that inserts will add to the longevity of the mag but I am trying to hold the price at a point where this mags very affordable.

I think this would and cut be a great idea if you can make it work . I would stick to simplicity , as long as it works . 10 rds is the ideal capacity for a rifle of that type ...a longer mag would make it ackward to handle and will definitely put more pressure on those plastic lips , so you would need to insert steel reinforcements on them , and the price will go up , etc etc .
    Just make it work , give it a PSL appearance or an SVD appearance , because it is true that people like that very much and if you can keep the price to below $30.00 and the mags work and are reliable , you have a winner.

I agree, a 15 rounder would see a lot of interest. Many people already have several metal 10 rounders that work well, but nobody has 15 rounders.

as someone already said, 20 rounders might be too tall to work well on a shooting bench

I'd also be interested, especially if the price is below $30.

I'm trying my best to keep them right at $25.00 each, i really don't want to go above that. Not trying to get rich just get a decent mag for all the PSL owners out there.

I would be interested in them as well.

At around $25.00 I would be interested in a pair of those mags

Like i said price will be AROUND $25.00 - $30.00, I think i can keep them at this threshold. My intent isn't to have 30-40 dollar mags but mags that will work at a decent price so we can all afford them. Again... guys i cant say how long the lifespan will be as i don't have any of the pre production models yet to test . I do know some company's such as Tapco have ak mags that are all polymer that have been out awhile and seem halfway decent. I am doing this on a shoestring budget so bear with me,, that's why i cant give a hard timeline as to when the first 15 will be ready for testing but..they ARE coming!!!!!!

Are you keeping the sheet metal strengthening ribs on the production models?

Save some money in machining the molds and leave them off or even better - add some simple gripping features/textures on the edges or sides like some of the modern polymer mags.

I think you will sell these if they work, especially if you can offer features that the original mags don't.

the production models will look just like the grey one, so yes the ribs will be present but only for cosmetic purposes. and again it'll help towards the 922R count for those who have kit guns or who wish to build kit guns

I think this is a novel idea, I've long wondered why someone hasn't made them already. I would definetly be in the market for several, at least 3 or 4 if the price stays close to your target.

I second all the concerns about the feed lips, but if you can make what you are using work, then it should not be a problem.

Also, I didn't see anyone point out the hi-cap problem with rimmed ammo. 13-15, if that, may be your max capacity due to how the ammo stacks in the mag. 20 would be awesome but probably would not work. If I were you, I'd concentrate on making the 10s work well and worry about upping the capacity later.
    The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

If it takes a bloodbath, let’s get it over with - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by thebohunk View Post
    I think this is a novel idea, I've long wondered why someone hasn't made them already. I would definetly be in the market for several, at least 3 or 4 if the price stays close to your target.

I second all the concerns about the feed lips, but if you can make what you are using work, then it should not be a problem.

Also, I didn't see anyone point out the hi-cap problem with rimmed ammo. 13-15, if that, may be your max capacity due to how the ammo stacks in the mag. 20 would be awesome but probably would not work. If I were you, I'd concentrate on making the 10s work well and worry about upping the capacity later.
    I cut not say it better.

im interested...and ive been known to put down a spam can in an hour if you consider that a good torture test

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast