Gunboards Forums banner

1939 660 k98

6K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  VKT1941 
#1 ·
I know this rifle is from the Baltic fleet which the N is for and the K is for the Kreigsmarine. The 660 stands for the Steyr plant and this year around 17000 were made. This rifle has no import stamp for the fact my grandfather bought it in 1964 all number match except the bolt.. My question is how many rifles we're gave to the Kreigsmarine out of that year from Steyr ? How rare a Kreigsmarine K98 is on a scale of 1-10? And how much are they worth? I wanna tell my grandpaw how much his $15 dollar investment turned into.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Lovely rifle!, nice dark walnut stock, 1939 which is the start of WWII in Europe and kriegsmarine issue from Steyr I definately see it around $1000 or more. Hopefully it has a very strong bore with very light pitting or none at all. I'm no expert and don't know number scale for rarity but for whoever is looking for that, it will be rare to them and will have deep pockets.

#6 ·
The "k" on the stock disc is a subcontractor mark. Kriegsmarine rifles would have been marked with an "M" on the right butt stock side...Navy property marks are almost always Eagle over M. The "k" is just a coincidence. The other mark is indeed Nord Fleet with the property number...

1939 660 codes are pretty scarce to begin with in any case...

#8 ·
Can you post more photos of the matching parts, like bands and trigger guard assembly? The 660 1939 K98k rifles are quite hard to find. If you could post images of the barrel markings under the woodline as well.

pzjgr, that K is associated with the Kriegsmarine markings in this instance. Most of the North fleet guns have that, not exactly sure of the significance of it though.

#10 ·
Really? That's a new one on me....I figured it was a subcontractor....but that's why these forums are great, always something new to learn...

As to the m in the sling slot...no that's not it...on the right side of the butt, under the takedown disc there should be a series of stamps, typically an Eagle over a letter (H for Heer, M for Kriegsmarine, L for Luftwaffe) which designates which service the rifle was supposed to head to, followed by a couple more Eagle WaA's which will tell you what manufacturer the stock would originally belong to...

Later rifles they discontinued these stock markings, or greatly abbreviated them...but a '39 660 should have them I would think...

#13 ·
Interesting, i wonder if the stock is not correct, or perhaps Navy destined rifles were marked differently?

I have a "a" block 1939 660, a straight bolt mismatch, and the stock is marked small Eagle over "H", with two E/623's under that...It is also a laminate stock with flat buttplate, numbered in the channel....Bruce has seen this one....

#15 ·
Theres all the matching numbers.

Attachments

#16 ·
The rifle is rather rare in this condition, though it should have markings on the right side, either Eagle/small H or small M, not all KM rifles (unit marked) are E/M service marked, at least one 660/39 exist E/H (it has a unit marking very close to this one). The rifle should also have e/623 x4 (eagle/623 x4) on the right receiver, try and show this location? With the G.12/34 (G.29ö) we have encountered acceptance variation in late 1939 production. Pretty doubtful it carried over with the 98k, but you never know.

As to value, much would depend on the stock, the RS should have acceptance and branch of service markings, if not that isn't a good sign, but a bolt m/m, otherwise matching 660/39 would be worth more than $1k imo, especially KM marked. Most surviving 660/39 are rc rifles and to most collectors an rc isn't worth much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.