Thread: Memphis / West TN gun shows?

Default Memphis / West TN gun shows?

Hello all,

I'm new to the west TN area and was wondering if there are any decent shows to attend. I see that Memphis has some RK shows. I went to a lot of RK shows back in Missouri, and they were kind of luke warm, with a lot of off-thread junk. Also, is there anywhere to shoot rifles in west TN? I sure miss the Ozarks where I had a 150 yard range right off my back porch.

Thanks...Stacy

Hi Stacy, I recall reading on the C&R list that you were moving, but I didn't realize you were moving to TN. I'm woefully ignorant on what goes on there in the west part of the state, but I do recall there used to be a collectors association there that put on a gun show once or twice a year. My recollection is it either failed or their show venture wasn't successful. RK Shows is the only game in town as far as I know.

In any case, welcome! Hope you can hook up with others in your area who can help you learn the lay of the land quickly.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

Same Old..

RK hasn't changed.
    Beef jerky, hats, t-shirts, etc.....
    Oh look! there's a rifle!

Thanks for the welcome, Tim. West TN has some very friendly people, but it is a little boring so far (unless you find cotton fields exciting!). I just have to find some things to do. I did buy a little boat last week, so that will be a nice distraction. There are also a ton of waterfowl. Might have to try my hand at a little duck / goose hunting next season.

And Roger, thanks for the recon on the RK shows here. "Oh look! There's a rifle!". That cracked me up. Sounds like the same old RK shows I'm accustomed to.

Stacy

I'm still trying to decided whether or not RK are the guys putting on the shows at Jackson and Dyersburg you see now and then......which were some of the sorriest things I've ever seen...same old guns...same old crusty 91/30 for 300 bucks. TGP's usually shows up.....so that works out great.

I'd love to see a good show come into Union City.
    Last edited by MosinNagantCrazy; 03-04-2008 at 11:29 AM.

Welcome to no where which has it's advantages in a lot of ways but not in guns. This is the land of legitimate sportsmen. There are some huge pawn shops that I am told have a world of mil-surp stuff one of which is close to one of the major colleges but I don't remeber which it is. Guy I know here in the area who used to be a big shooter mentioned and showed it to me. There is an out fit some place here that puts or did put on a machine gun shoot and small gun show twice a year around the Lexington area I think? Don't want to say for sure but maybe B-Team Arms or some such. By the way I am over in N.Mississippi and our one gun show way down in Tupelo usually makes the one in Jackson Tn look like NGD. I quit going years ago as there were no deals on anything and the BS that was spoken for on guns was unreal. Again welcome to West Tennessee.

Lightbulb

Owilly:

I can answer one of your questions if you want, but send me a PM.

Discretion is advised.
    The general idea came from a local Deputy, but location is the key. You might be surprised. After solving my identical problem last fall, it is exactly why I've bought a few guns since October, with a used Mini 30 on the way. You can pay a chunk to join a rifle range and shoot holes in a piece of paper if you prefer.
    Not to me. I'm a real plinker (350 with carbine Oct-Nov; since this January, 300+ with Mini 14, 280 with Mosins- not incl..22...). .
    Life is far too short to not use our initiative and powers of observation.

You guys might want go to the big show in Knob Creek, KY for the machine gun demos. If so, book a hotel room as soon as possible (in Radcliff, KY, by Ft. Knox, a bit southwest of Louisville). I have no idea, being a fairly new shooter, whether you get any good deals on ammo or guns, or how private sellers can advertise anything up there.
    Last edited by Laufer; 03-17-2008 at 03:50 AM.

i didn't think the small show next to the national guard armory in dyersburg was too bad. there's also a show in poplar bluff, missouri that's kind of a sleeper. at least 2 decent pawnshops in poplar bluff to make the trip worth it, too.
    the road that heads south out of dyersburg to memphis has 2 or 3 good sized pawnshops with lots of milsurps, prices aren't all that great though. if you're close, you might also check out the pawnshops in paragould, Arkansas, too. And the 2 right up the road in Kennet, Missouri.
    that's about all i had time to find while i was working up there. The shops in paragould had pretty good yields, at decent prices. had to hit them regular though.

There was one shop in Paris, TN that yielded a nice swede m96. Shop was on the county square, and i didn't see anything else in town.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Would anybody like to test a gun store's used rifles/pistols at the store's range? They have a fair selection of some Mosins, a Japanese A---, a new and GI-issued M-1 carbine and others.

I tested my Mini 14 twice before I bought it.
    They have various handguns, shotguns and used hunting rifles.

It is Brighton Arms in Brighton, TN:
    15 minutes north of Millington on highway 51.

Very simple to find.
    Believe it or not, 'm just a customer...I live about 40 minutes to get there, but because of both the staff and the good selections (+ testing at range), an incomparable combination, I rarely go to other gun stores which are only 10-15 minutes from here...
    Brighton is open seven days a week! I had three rifles shipped to Brighton Arms for moderate fees (2 Mosins from NC and a Mini 30 from CA), and sold a carbine to them.

Have fun out there.