Thread: 8x57js question

Default 8x57js question

So I saw a thread in the ammo bunker where a guy used sabots with his cz-52. The sabot was with a .224 dia bullet. I have a Yugoslav m24/47 and 8mm is just completely gone. I was wondering if I could use a sabot with say a .308 or .312 bullets in the mauser or should I just paperpatch? The mauser has a .323 diameter bore. Not trying to be stupid but I can't find sabots anywhere?

You probably aren't going to find a .323 cal sabot. If the bore is completely gone, I'd suggest getting a new barrel. They are out there and probably cost less than a bag of sabots.

8mm isn't completely gone.. it is commercially made .. if the cost is the factor and you only want to shoot cheap ammo, you could find a cheap caliber that you can afford and either buy some rifles in that caliber or get a new barrel in that caliber , if the caliber is compatible with the length of the action on your Mauser.

Paper patching would be a very iffy thing given the pressures 8mm Mauser can generate.. might work if you were to download the rounds.. but if you were willing to do that then you could just use cast bullets the right size and even gascheck them to out perform a patched round, Typical bond paper is about .004 thick give or take you need to make up about .015 inches or two full wraps.. You see paper wrap on low pressure rounds like the old black powder heavy lead bullets 45-70, the Early Swiss 7.5mm .. I would just go with cast or checked cast if it is about shooting cheap.

And don't limit yourself to .308 .. they make .311-.312 bullets as well .. one wrap there should get you into grooves.. still have the pressure restrictions though.

Why don't you want to reload .323 bullets to start with? Not like they are hard to find http://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition-...ds=8mm+bullets http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=6300
    "people who count on luck don't last long in the business of defusing bombs and disarming land mines." Hunter Thompson

8mm is not completely gone, it just costs a lot more these days.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

Yeah, LV, but the reloading bullets are about the same, not that much more, and casting still only costs wheel weights? Cases are easy to come by or convert.. I might not understand the question I guess. Midway has a variety in the 20-25 cent range in stock and IIRC had some for 15-16 cents not long ago in the blemish sale.

You add the cost of what they charge for some sabots ( about 10 cents a sabot) to the cost of a .308 and jacketed .323 is cheaper.

This is why I think I am missing something in the OP
    "people who count on luck don't last long in the business of defusing bombs and disarming land mines." Hunter Thompson

I have the money to buy 8mm it's just out of stock,Everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by 54r man View Post
    I have the money to buy 8mm it's just out of stock,Everywhere!
    No it's not http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=301 http://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/...rds=8mm+Mauser

8x57 is not gone. But it has gotten a little more expensive:
    http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/8mm-mauser/
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

I don't believe you will be able to find a sabot that will allow you to put .308 bullets down a .323" bore. They would just be way too thin to hold together.

You would be able to use them with .224 bullets, and maybe even with ones up to the .270” range, but NOT .308.

That is IF (REALLY BIG IF) you can find .323” sabots at all. Not a very popular caliber for them.

The best way to get 8mm bullets right now is to buy a bunch of the Iranian or Czech no-bang stuff that is being sold for just about component prices, and pull and re-use the bullets and powder.

You can then sell the brass for scrap (try popping the primers first, though. A scrap buyer might balk if he sees unhit primers) and recover a bit of your money.

I also have had a little bit of luck haunting gun shows for pulled bullets in this caliber. I don’t often find them, but I do just often enough to keep me looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post

The best way to get 8mm bullets right now is to buy a bunch of the Iranian or Czech no-bang stuff that is being sold for just about component prices, and pull and re-use the bullets and powder.

You can then sell the brass for scrap (try popping the primers first, though. A scrap buyer might balk if he sees unhit primers) and recover a bit of your money.
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you find the Czech stuff? Samco has the Iranian stuff and j&g sales has the '30s Persian but I can't find Czech.

i'v heard the chec stuff is crap. dont know myself
    http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|854

. . . . . . . . . -(@@)- . . . . . . . .
    . . . . ----o00--()--00o----. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 54r man View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where do you find the Czech stuff? Samco has the Iranian stuff and j&g sales has the '30s Persian but I can't find Czech.
    You probably would need to haunt the for sale sites to find it. I have seen it posted on the WTS site here from time to time. Distributors don't seem to have it any more. I lucked out last year when I found literally a bucketful of loose 1949-51 Czech 8mm at under $.12 a round (what I consider a pretty good component price) at a gun show. I bought it for the bullets, but when I pulled some of the worst looking stuff out of the bucket and tried to shoot it, it all worked just fine.