Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosin featured on "Life Below Zero"

Default Mosin featured on "Life Below Zero"

Innuit woman shoots caribou with M39 Finn with open sites at about 200 meters. Is planning to use Mosin 91/30 sniper with PU scope to hunt seals. Interesting show! Anybody else watching it?

Yeah, Agnes and Chip are members here.
    King Eight Eggs

"Always bring a hammer to a stick fight."-nassaulakes

The Chip Hailstone is a member of Gunboards, Chip is our own Caribou, DVR is set every Sunday night love learning about the hard life that some people CHOOSE to live. I do envy them in some ways!!!

Ok, I have scheduled my recording box as well. Tonight is "Checkmate" so I guess they are playing chess.
    Tuesday is "Wolf at the Door" which I guess is maybe they forgot to pay the bills and so it's now foreclosure time.
    Also Tuesday is "Blood, Sweat, and Fear", which I have no idea what that could be about.
    And next Sunday is "The Chase".
    So I will just have to watch and see what it is all about.
    dc

Watch the show. Chip and Agnes do a great job on the show. One of my favorite shows if not my favorite.

I didn't know Chip and Agnes are members. I really like your show guys and I have nothing but awe for your ability to thrive in your challenging environment. Mosins were designed for extreme conditions and it shows, one of the AR15's didn't go bang in one of the episodes. Poodle shooters are just that!

We were members before we did the show, so I think the "Life Below Zero" show actually got a couple decent Gunboards members ~~LOL!!~~

I heard the show tonight had us hunting Caribou, I need to find away to see it. If so, there was some definite Vkt '42 M-39 being put to use, for sure! I think they are building up to Wolves :D

Im glad you all are likeing the show, 'cause Mosins rock, ya know :D

We own the house and several small parcels of land lock, stock and barrel, so forclosure is not in the cards, or the game even......no banks to loan us $$ and were subsitence Hunters/fishers/Gather'rs and I actually put that on my Tax returns. No Bank constitters that 'employment" they tell me to 'get a job!" ~~LOL!!~~ like we don't work...... , but "Blood' and 'sweat' is the mess of success and were all about that, and leave the 'crying' to others ~~LOL!!~~
    Last edited by Caribou; 07-07-2013 at 11:39 PM.

Yeah Chip, it had you and your wife getting a Caribou and leaving the gut pile and skin as bait for other furry friends to find.
    King Eight Eggs

Yaaaaaaaaa, our oldest son called and said "A Caribou" too.....maybe the first of that trip, the fifth, maybe the last.....several days boiled down to 12-13 minutes can cut off alotta hunting ~~LOL!!~~ When were about Fur at that timma year, we put the skin over top of the guts to keep the Ravens from making quick work outta gut pile disposel. The Ravens attract "fur" and we hunt them :D its a merry little circle of shooting, makeing meat and fur and trying not to work tooo hard and enjoy the hunt. I hope that was reflected, were not very serious people, until were pissed off. :D

several people have relflected back about how we get along, the wife and I , on camera, and I tell 'em I married my best friend, so the opposition factor has never taken set, as we work and travel so much together that the best friends a person is likely to have is one they have worked with over a long time. Often we have to talk out our actions as for the camera they need explanations and narrations, but usually we chat about other stuff than whats at hand and bullshit about things that amuse us, and I haven't seen that much ~~LOL!!~~

Im glad ya like the show :D

Thanks for it all, Chip and Agnes! Great stuff!

Caribou, trust me the fact that you and your wife are best friends comes through with no doubt. Tonight's favorite quote from you said was to the affect that you do not have a plan, but you have idea's and you let those idea's develop as you go. That was golden! I love this show.
    King Eight Eggs

Is Agnes' M91/30 sniper a real sniper or cobbled together rifle? Looks like she is shooting a 200 gr. roundnose softpoint round during the target shooting sequence (hand drawn circle on snow bank). Wouldn't that be overkill on soft skinned animals like seals? Do you reload...Agnes looks at the case to see any signs of overpressure? Great show by great Americans. As a survey instrumentman, I wanted to go to Alaska and work on the pipeline when I was 19 years old in 1969, but nobody wanted to hire someone from Georgia and I couldn't afford to go on my own. After a couple of winters in Chicago, I now know this old Southern boy would have had a hard time acclimatizing to your weather conditions.

PS: You can watch the show on internet at http://www.tvmuse.eu/tv-shows/Life-Below-Zero_34910/

I love the show. I hope you guys are being compensated from Nat Geo

Agnes has a legitimate PU sniper rifle, and Caribou posted an awesome story of her traveling some 60 miles alone to go get it from the dealer and then going back 60 miles to home, breaking down in the process. Beyond the fact she shoots M39 off hand at caribou, shoots a PU sniper, just how many ladies will climb on a snow machine and go alone across the snow 120 miles round trip ?

Chip- send me a PM on the ammo I have for you-
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Are you kidding me Shim? They probably have a million dollar contract. Well, maybe some money.
    I watched last night. Again I think Chip and Agnes are the best part of the show. The most real.
    Chip, thanks for explaining about the house and all. I hope you know I was just joking.
    But I am concerned about all the 'logistics' or money on a thing like that. As I have considered at least a dozen times over the last 50 plus years doing exactly that.
    I think what may have stopped me was the cold. I'm not a cold weather fan, tho' I do like to visit the snow now and again. Even if I'm riding my motorcycle.
    The other thing that stopped me was a financial stake. It occurs to me that you need a fair amount of money to go into a situation like that. To buy the land in the right area, with house, and some reserves (cash) for the things that come up, which could be life threatening.
    I believe Agnes is from that area up there, but Chip is from the lower 48. Is that correct?
    That forward hunting cabin appeared to have no insulation to it. How, at 6 below, can you live in that? Or is it well insulated?
    When Sue comes on I have to turn down the volume. Something about that voice. But I did enjoy the end, in silence, where she was feeding some beautiful little foxes, who apparently knew where to go to get some free food.
    dc

Caribou, whats that lever action you are carrying? looks like a 22mag, is that right?

we are captivated with the show, tongues wagging at the thousands of caribou you guys are seeing!

The guy from Eagle is a complete jackass. We hate seeing how he treats his wife. he doesn't seem to have enough patience to make it out there. I don't know how he does it.
    Anyone that has a 'no fear' sticker stuck to anything they own has never looked down the barrel of a loaded weapon in the hands of their enemy.

I've seen previews for the show but and have been wanting to catch it, but now I'll make it a point and set the DVR. I respect what you guys are doing up there, and wish I could spend a couple days in your shoes! I still kick myself for not buying more Finns when they were "cheap".
    Looking for 6.5-280 RCBS 30 degree improved dies.

Quote Originally Posted by David13 View Post
    Are you kidding me Shim? They probably have a million dollar contract. Well, maybe some money.
    I watched last night. Again I think Chip and Agnes are the best part of the show. The most real.
    Chip, thanks for explaining about the house and all. I hope you know I was just joking.
    But I am concerned about all the 'logistics' or money on a thing like that. As I have considered at least a dozen times over the last 50 plus years doing exactly that.
    I think what may have stopped me was the cold. I'm not a cold weather fan, tho' I do like to visit the snow now and again. Even if I'm riding my motorcycle.
    The other thing that stopped me was a financial stake. It occurs to me that you need a fair amount of money to go into a situation like that. To buy the land in the right area, with house, and some reserves (cash) for the things that come up, which could be life threatening.
    I believe Agnes is from that area up there, but Chip is from the lower 48. Is that correct?
    That forward hunting cabin appeared to have no insulation to it. How, at 6 below, can you live in that? Or is it well insulated?
    When Sue comes on I have to turn down the volume. Something about that voice. But I did enjoy the end, in silence, where she was feeding some beautiful little foxes, who apparently knew where to go to get some free food.
    dc
    Hey you never know, I don't doubt the networks are trying to go cheap. I worked with HBO filming on Vegas Taxi Cab Confessions and they gave people on the show 50-100 bucks to appear and the regular drivers made less than $500 and episode. I hope it continues to be a breakout series and they get a million

I just read that the main Dead Beats on Jersey Shore were getting $150,000 per episode to party and get drunk .

Quote Originally Posted by 81mm 2-4 View Post
    I just read that the main Dead Beats on Jersey Shore were getting $150,000 per episode to party and get drunk .
    Not typical for reality shows. Sad though it goes to bungholes like that, and not someone like Caribou.
    King Eight Eggs

Hello Gents,

Chip has been an esteemed member for a long time! Waaaay before we knew he was "Nanook of the North!" ;>)

The very first thread that I remember when I personally began getting to know Chip was a thread regarding a Berdan II Carbine that didn't quite match the original configuration. We finally came to the conclusion that it was either a military conversion of a rifle or Dragoon to make up for a shortage of Cavalry Carbines.....or.....A later conversion for sale after it was retired from the military.

Since then, those of us who are regulars on the Hunting Forum have been following Chip and Agnes' adventures for years now. While I haven't seen an episode of this show yet, I'll buy the first season on DVD when it becomes available. In the interim Chip, I'll stick with the Kalahari! My knees and back ache continually when I'm in Moscow in the winter and it's WARM there compared to your winters! Alaska was great in the mid 1990s, but I was younger and more stubborn then! You could probably throw in stupid if you ask Valentina's opinion?

Come join us in Botswana when it's 124F in the shade. It's good for the arthritis! ;>)

Always a pleasure and congratulations on the show. When season one is available in China, I'll mail a copy to you on DVD.

Warmest regards,

John

Hahahah, Yaaaaaaaaaaa, JPS, its been a long while, I think GB's was actually the first internet gun forum I joined, when I first bought a computer, after having to move to a village when the homeschooling program's demise made us seek a school.... Dang, its been awhile, and Im still an amature!!! Love these Gunboards! .(According to my "joined on date" I was about 8 moths old..... ~~LOL!!~~ )

The Berdan II is a Carbine, in metal. Short tang'd trigger guard, Carbine sights, buttplate and original length barrel, all matching ##s 1876 Sestoryeks (sp is insane) its the stock that was replaced, and that , indeed was homemade(Eskimo made) and I learnd a lot that time and such a wealth of info since. We had to hunt that one down as the sis in law had sold it and several others to a pawn shop, but that's a whole different story........
    I would LOVE to come to Botswana!! No doubt about that, but Ill wait untill temps are in the mid 60's, so I don't melt into a puddle of white goo....... :D Im sooooooooo aclimatized, I nearly keeled over in last weeks mid 70's here,~~~~ I had to go swimming ~~~~~ Like any woman, Valentinas opinion is worth more than the weight of you and I combined, but hey, you DID get a decent Brown Bear while in Ak, right , and you made it back......ya know, Alaska likes Hunting types, all around......and Hunters wifes are their secret weapons :D

Agnes has a "real" PU, from AIM, and has been plugging away stedily, improving her shots at distance. Vic, please PM her (Qalhapuk) about ammo, when she comes home, shell blow a day away reading and responding. She off for "business' might make a display next winter, so sahe also manages our $$ and all ingoing/outgoing freights. When two of us did such, we double some efforts and skip others (like credit on the phone bill we both paid and an overdue notice from the electric co, 'cause we both thought the other paid it ~~LOL!!~~)

As to money, each episode is only a couple thousand $ and with 4-10 days to make one, its not that great, but every bit helps, and when your gas is 8$ a gallon, loaded bullets 60$ for 20, like here, that 2G REALLY aint much!!! So we keep it separate from what we make normal like and decided to finnish redoing our house and pay a retainer on a decent lawyer, then maybe, a new ride. Mines tired and 60,000 miles later. Mose snogos last 10,000miles, so Ive done well..........but then there 'might' be season 2 and after surviving the first, things get canncelled or they get better , $$ wize too !! Who knows, maybe Polaris will sponser the show :D Never know....

The "white House"(its painted white) is where we stayed while in the mountians, and its lightly insulated. Warmth isn't the deal, its a place out of the wind that makes it a great place. Deep Cold is tolerable, Wind and Deep Cold is Death. Having a shelter, even with little insulation is best delt with by minimal heating, mostly from light and from cooking and sleeping like we do, in a Caribou skin bag, or several fiber/down bags/blanketsand not needing any heat 8-9 hours of sleep, a warm hour of heat and coffee, then 14 or so hours out rideing, hunting , working, checking traps and chopping wood, and its an hour or so of warm and eating, then into a heavily insulated bag and do it again. So your not heating it much or for long, and everything we have is made to be frozen, or it would have never arrived. The Caribou bag is superior, because when its damp from a nights sleep, we beat it free of frosts when its frozen and 'dry' it. Fur clothing is dried the same way, but we will take the time every few days to dry our clothes and other stuffs that need it, to dry quickly/correctly. As well, we carry Seal oil to dip frozen meats and fish into while we have no fire. Eating with the oil, instead of chilling the body and costing calories, makes the frozen meats easily digestable and warming, as the oil is extreamly high in calories, yet cleans the arteries because the blubber renders to oil at room temp and dosent stick inside. A Candle for light is extreamly handy , with the oil and bag, a wind break is all you need, and life without a fire at subzero temps is no problem. Soon enough a fella finds wood and cooks, or a little Army squad stove like we have.

Her same ol' Vkt M-39 and she busted her Ruger10/22, so the little lever gun is a Winchester 94 prewarning .22lr for small game,(sr# puts it at 1972 manufacture) finishing shots and the like, a spare gun when your back there and working comes in hand often. A very handy riding rifle that belongs to my 13 year old Daughter Mary.......as Agnes would say, "A gun for every occasion"

When the wife was sighting in her PU, she purposely opted for heavier bullets with soft points, as a Seal sit faceing his hole, or the edge of the ice if the ice is broken up, ready to slide ito the ocean for safety sake. A soft point to the thin skin of a Seals head often acts like a good solid "punch" and literally knocks them asdid and from from sliding in with a Death twitch or relaxing and sliding via gravity...., while blowing brains about in decorative red patterns on blank white snow......The mess of success.

were really hopeing they show how We make ends meet, sewing and such with our gatherings, tradeing and sales. I hope they show what prices are like where most everything is flown in an where were working very hard to bring our housing and basics (water/sewer, electricity and education) up to high standards for the benefit of the community. It slow and expensive, and we do (have chosen long ago) to either buy fuel or food. Fuel will get us food, working materials and warmth , as we heat with wood, eat our catch and make arts and crafts. Ive been pressing the producers to show such. The Eagle folks train future dog mushers and take em on trips, the Kavik lady is a spike camp for aircraft born hunting in the Brooks range and the Wiseman man is a Hunting Guide, so we would want folks to see how we round out a year. We found it strange that they ignored 26 spear'd Caribou on my rack and that we were scraping and tanning skins at the same time we set the Whitefish nets, but maybe this year, if we have a season two.....I guess they saved that for such ??

Im glad yer likeing the show, its near 5 am, coffees done and I have work to do today,sooooooo have great day.
    Last edited by Caribou; 07-09-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Caribou:

How much is the freight to ship a box of 20 rounds of Privi Partizan or S& B soft point 7.62x54r 174 Grain, to you, Caribou?
    Do you prefer one, over the other?
    We could send a box to you, for Agnes to shoot? Do you reload?
    Do you have to travel the 3+ hours (60 miles) all the way to town to pick it up?

Some of us are getting on, and disabled veterans, who find it great just to get out for a walk or canoe ride through our forests and swamps.
    Born in St. Paul, and lived in Great Falls, deployed in tents in arctic conditions, in Northern Europe, & Scandinavia, I am very much acclimated to Central Florida.

Envy you, but, prefer 60 degree nights, here, and can tolerate 90 degree days, now.

Love the show "Life Below Zero"! My wife is as thrilled as am I, to see women use guns so expertly!

It all inspires one to own, and care for, some Mosin Nagant Rifles! I am up to 5, with 4 spare stocks, and lots of extra parts!
    Shooting wild hogs is my goal, and bringing home "the bacon" will be a great event! Of course, Photos will be presented!
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    THE HEART OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN LEANS TO THE RIGHT, WHILE THE HEART OF THE FOOL LEANS TO THE LEFT! (ECCLESIASTES 10:2)

Shuks.......getting 20 shots here, with a hazmat fee and shipping would be about 50$ Bulk ammo, like bulk food is an Alaskan way of shopping. one pound or one ton the hazmat fee is 30$ of that.

PM the lady, I think shes looking for brass and components, but were still revamping the house and making a living, so our room is a bed and boxes to the celing, her reloading stuffs and guns are at her brothers, where theres no kids nor crowd. Were looking at making a platform floor and stove for a large Yert we were given (near brand new!) and that would be a sweet place to do such , maybe another room added next summer, I donno. The yert might be a better bedroom till were done with the insides.

I tried buging the wife into posting, shes terribly shy on that ....
    She wont brag. No posting, no Face Booking, nada. She will cut it up, dry it, cook it, tan it, give, sell or trade it and when the source is asked of her, shell say "I caught it" rather matter of factly and not much more at all. Every one here knows the story however, its a small village and words get around, its best told by a different person than the one who did the deed. Kids will talk up their bro's , parents and such, but , honestly, most still wont talk up themselves, so Im sure its cultural.....Its hard to get her to talk about such to the camera. Shes entirely satifyed that her peers approve and that's enough for her.

Shes also a Gunboards reader, and I know shell love this thread:D

I can't figure the "hazmat fee" on ammo... I live in Florida, order from the internet, vendors being in other states, and my bulk usually arrives via UPS. the drivers are usually ex-Marines, who deliver a case to me, but mention that others on the route get 10 cases! I guess all our stuff goes by surface transport, and if anything goes by air, there are Hazmat fees?

Sounds like a huge profit point for the airlines!
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    THE HEART OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN LEANS TO THE RIGHT, WHILE THE HEART OF THE FOOL LEANS TO THE LEFT! (ECCLESIASTES 10:2)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    Chip- send me a PM on the ammo I have for you-
    Vic, if you're planning to send some ammo to Chip, I've got some good ammo I would like to add to the pile. Can I send it to you?

Thanks for illuminating the choice of ammo. I hope you can get your reloading setup in place to try to control that cost component of your budget. Interesting stuff, not contemplated here in the lower 48.

Dick S, looks like a catch to watch it on internet. says it's free then asks me for a credit card, i passed, guess i'll wait for the DVD.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

I found this tonight.....watched it too......oddly only one issue, and that was Agnes dropping a female Caribou with one shot, and she says so, but the show more Misses? Odd, but we did get quite a few Caribou while there , of course, but the editors wernt there, and I figure Natgeo dosent want some "Caribou massacre" stigma either. I give it an 8 outta 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-OB...layer_embedded

falm16,

Did you select an episode and click "Search for all results for this episode (24)" and then click on allmyvideos, etc to find a free site that streams?

Thanks for the link, at least I got to see some of it. Was'nt bad. I like wiseman, and wondered why agnes did'nt use the rock for a prop. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    I found this tonight.....watched it too......oddly only one issue, and that was Agnes dropping a female Caribou with one shot, and she says so, but the show more Misses? Odd, but we did get quite a few Caribou while there , of course, but the editors wernt there, and I figure Natgeo dosent want some "Caribou massacre" stigma either. I give it an 8 outta 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA-OB...layer_embedded
    Chip, are you finding all episodes on Youtube? If so what are you typing in? I've found a few, but not all by typing in "Life Below Zero".

Also, don't know if its been asked, but how did you end up meeting and marrying an Eskimo girl? Are most of the women there hunters / fishers and not afraid to get fish and mammal guts on their hands? Most women I know seem to be almost afraid to touch meat thats not cooked, much less blood and guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou View Post
    Shuks.......getting 20 shots here, with a hazmat fee and shipping would be about 50$ Bulk ammo, like bulk food is an Alaskan way of shopping. one pound or one ton the hazmat fee is 30$ of that.

PM the lady, I think shes looking for brass and components, but were still revamping the house and making a living, so our room is a bed and boxes to the celing, her reloading stuffs and guns are at her brothers, where theres no kids nor crowd. Were looking at making a platform floor and stove for a large Yert we were given (near brand new!) and that would be a sweet place to do such , maybe another room added next summer, I donno. The yert might be a better bedroom till were done with the insides.

I tried buging the wife into posting, shes terribly shy on that ....
    She wont brag. No posting, no Face Booking, nada. She will cut it up, dry it, cook it, tan it, give, sell or trade it and when the source is asked of her, shell say "I caught it" rather matter of factly and not much more at all. Every one here knows the story however, its a small village and words get around, its best told by a different person than the one who did the deed. Kids will talk up their bro's , parents and such, but , honestly, most still wont talk up themselves, so Im sure its cultural.....Its hard to get her to talk about such to the camera. Shes entirely satifyed that her peers approve and that's enough for her.

Shes also a Gunboards reader, and I know shell love this thread:D
    I'm taking it that if someone wants to donate ammo, just a box or two, that it would cost like hell in fees?

Yes, ammo is either carried as a passenger in the checked in luggage (50lbs and under) or shipped 'all cargo' and its best in bulk. Im not encourageing you to send her any ammo, its expensive.

I looked up LBZ on youtube, and that's what I came up with. Not all of em , either. Im looking forward to the DVD set, so I can see all of them..... :D

A short critique is that more than one caribou was shot, but they stuck with the first, which was laying down when she shot it. She plainly said she nailed it on the first shot, so that one to the editors, most likely trying to get some suspence up. They left out the other Caribou , but when they were downed, they weren't in as observable a place as where the first Caribou died, and we worked that one into a snipable fur bait. Ive well notced that they must concentrate on "one" as we don't have the entire hour to show such. Makes it a bit odd, but that's show business.....6 days into 12 minutes ~~LOL!!~~ lets hope next week shows her "catching Fur"

I'm going to have to stop reading this thread because of spoilers, as I've had a very busy week and haven't yet gotten a chance to watch the DVR'ed episode.

"An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while sweeping on to the grand fallacy".
    Steven Weinberg
    "Every Dogma Has Its Day."
    Anthony Burgess (Maybe)

Caribou and Agnes,

Pretty sure I wrote this before, but if NatGeo is smart, give ya'll a show. Just about your life experience. Just ya'll. Know this the first season, but figure it will be a hit. Let the other people have the show, and ya'll have a new one. Ya'll do not have enough face time on this show, and figure have years more experience livin' the wild Alaskan way.

Hell, Shelby the swamp logger just got his own show. And he and his family were the funniest and most interestin' part of the loggin' show they were a part of previously. They "Hunt" sinker logs in Louisiana and are very good at it. Them logs is gold. He probably had a bunch of money before the show, sinker logs are worth a fortune. Continued good luck. I'll be watchin'.

Lancebear

Caribou and Agnes -

Just saw my first episode yesterday, the one with "no bunnies".
    Was watching with my 11 year old daughter, who was fascinated. Especially about your young daughters' job of clubbing the rabbits. (We have one as a pet.) She's very curious about the tattoo on Agnes' chin.

A little disappointed there was so little shown of you and your family. Left plenty of time to do other stuff though, half-watching while waiting for your segments to come on. Agree that a show just following you guys around would be more interesting. More learning, less artificial suspense.

Your posts here really help me to understand how things are up there. Along with the show, I think I'm beginning to "get it". Good stuff about not needing much heat, opposite of what I had pictured. And Ummm...What's a "Yert"?

About Mosin ammo.....curious how effective regular FMJ surplus bullets (150gr. and 180gr.) are on large game, if you've tried them. I shoot nice groups with them from my Mosins every week, but I'm not much of a hunter. Don't think they're legal in most places, maybe not a good question.

Phil

:D, again, Im glad you all like the show :D

Agnes has a traditional tattoo, as 70 years ago and before most every woman had one in such style. Many old women had them as she grew up, and she done got it.
    A Yert is a Monglian styled tent , we have a modern insulated version we were given, looks like a snug place sofar.

I use 147 frn FMJs top great effect for many years and when I pick up my rifle again, that's what Ill be using. Brown Bears to Bunnies, FMJ's make holes where they need to and nothing more is needed.

I have watched Swamp People and Swamp Loggers two or three times, when visiting folks that have TVs, and that Sheby guy, Troy and the guy with the cut off Oshkosh's and American flag bandana are my favorite, either for pure comedy or being actual characters.

Marrying an Eskimo gal and doing what I do was just unguided life, withme making choices as the came along rather than by an design, kind of like Hunting, when the opportunity presented itself, I ran it down and killed it ~~LOL!!~~ The wife, however, ran me down, but I knew her well enough when we gottogether, already a friend, and it only got better.

question....I watched the youtube video caribou posted, only bit of LBZ I've seen. I assume sue is the one with the foul mouth watching the wolverine, what does she do for a living?

She's a tough old broad who would be a fierce foe in a barfight or a great back protector if on your side. It seems she is the caretaker for the refueling station for bush planes catering to the contract hunting industry. When you get 2000 lbs of fuel delivered by an ex military cargo plane 300 miles from anywhere, youi have to have some deep pockets supporting you.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceVeteran View Post
    I can't figure the "hazmat fee" on ammo... I live in Florida, order from the internet, vendors being in other states, and my bulk usually arrives via UPS. the drivers are usually ex-Marines, who deliver a case to me, but mention that others on the route get 10 cases! I guess all our stuff goes by surface transport, and if anything goes by air, there are Hazmat fees?

Sounds like a huge profit point for the airlines!
    Where Chip lives they get a barge every once in a while, most is FLOWN IN, and unless ammo is 'hand carried' by a passenger, you end up dealing with all the *fun* of shipping it....
    and UPS don't deliver up there, they deliver it the air port in Anchorage, where it goes to Alaska Airlines, who then hands it off to region pilots/air taxi's who deliver it to the final destination....

As you can imagine the more 'legs' a package travels, the more expensive it gets... Ordering ammo up (because UPS and Fedex used to NOT fly it, but that might have changed) for me cost $109 from Seattle to Anchorage, flat fee, never hit a weight charge, you are taking up a pallet of room...

But it is kind a fun to see 3 mosins (in boxes) shrink wrapped on top of 3 crates of ammo and 'other' stuff. When it gets down to it, it cost as much to ship one box as it does to ship a pallet of ammo.
    LESS expensive is hand carrying, and powder is a MAJOR limiting factor, as you are limited by vessel max (for all of the hazard class) so if one of the Gun shops in Anchorage brings up a load, your couple of cans might just be left in Seattle for the next boat... because it's close to the vessel class max.

You want to donate stuff that won't fit in a Flat Rate Box (really folks this is the best deal getting anything small and heavy into the bush)
    it's doable, there is a pretty good number of people on gunboards from Alaska

Know someone flying up, PAY their extra baggage fee and load up a couple cans of ammo, we have members that can meet them at the airport and hold it till Chip comes to town or get a pilot who will carry it out to Kotzebue for him. Honestly, in Alaska, it's amazing, how stuff is done, you know someone must do it, so you just keep asking and eventually you find them. I have a cousin who flys (bush pilot) out of Kotzebue, and I'm pretty sure he'd carry it out (as long as he wasn't over weight) for gas money (and remember that $8 a gallon for regular, don't ask about Av Gas)
    Last edited by Mosinitis; 07-11-2013 at 01:13 PM.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Caribou, I saw your post about dipping meals in seal oil, healthy. That ade me wonder, what are the natural health problems to the population up there, such as cancer, diabetes, etc. I imagine eating mostly wild things is good for cholesterol, blood suger, etc. Was just wondering what health problems you see up there. And about shipping stuff to alaska... a few years ago I mailed caribou some silvertips, candy, and I believe a box of 22's. Back then the 22 's were cheap, maybe 12 bucks a bulk pak. If I remember correct, shipping was around 30 bucks, way more than the cost of the items I sent. Was just glad to help a brother bag some protein.

Accidents kill more than anyone thing, suicide is right up there, in droves.(funny, for "gun country" most all hang themselves....) For ailments, Stomach cancer seems to be the main source of bad health, aside from ciggerets up this way. Most , I belive , is from alcohol, as everything here is weighed, and most alcohol shipped , until the 1990's was 151proof or stronger. Smaller package, more bang for the buck, and a killer in many ways.

The health benefits of the clean natural foods is also increased in the energy spent obtaining it; You cannot buy Caribou Meats, Seal oil, or the local berries and greens in the store. Salmon are as much as you want, and we laugh when we see them sold in store for 3$ a pound (!!)
    The ammo was put to great use, Falm and the cargo shipping on any item has increased 3 fold in the last 5 years, and if I remember right, I sent you a personal delicacy, Fermented Salmon, but its a taste not for everyone, but like a good cheese, once in your mouth, it melts and the taste changes to a remarkable degree.

Falm, PM me yer address, I have fresh Salmon smoked strips you might find more to your likeing, its been a good summer and drying/smoking is doable, rather than a rainy summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast