Thread: M1 Carbine push button safety replacement

Default M1 Carbine push button safety replacement

So I have an early inland M1 carbine in the 227xxx serial number range. Its a mix-master but clean. I came across last year a origional "lugless" front band and flip rear sight when a old local gun shop closed up in town, so I threw those on there to bring it more into the WW2 era appearance (I do some WW2 reenacting)

It still has it rotary safety, but I recently came across a authenic push-button safety, how huge of a pain is it to change that back? Do need any special springs, plungers, parts etc? Or do the existing ones work?

you can dress the ends of the plunger and make it run a little smoother..i belive the original spring and plungers were a little different on the push button safety.
    if it aint broke, fix it till it finally is.

When exactly did they go to the rotary safety anyway?

There were too many reports of GI pushing their weapons to safe but accidently pressed the button to release the magazine instead
    "i hate people that quote themselves and think its funny" - me

There are two types of springs used with the plungers for the safeties. The second is a bit longer and came into use in late 1944 and was used with the type 3 push safety. It was later used in 1945 when the change over to the flip safety came around. The correct safety for an Inland in the 227,000 range would be an unmarked checkered type 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    There are two types of springs used with the plungers for the safeties. The second is a bit longer and came into use in late 1944 and was used with the type 3 push safety. It was later used in 1945 when the change over to the flip safety came around. The correct safety for an Inland in the 227,000 range would be an unmarked checkered type 1.
    Lucky...the unmarked is the one I have. Hopefully my gunsmith has the knowhow to stick 'er in the old carbine.