Default How to date an M95

I just acquired a Karabiner-Stutzen in 8x50mm which was not cut down from a rifle. It's a Steyr which ended up in Czechoslovakia. Still has a serial number (four digits and the letter "I" suffix) but the manufacture date seems to have been ground off the top of the receiver ring. Anyone know how I can determine when this carbine was made?

There is NO manufacture Date "on the Receiver Ring" for the Austro-Hungarian-accepted M95s....the acceptance date is stamped on the Barrel re-inforce, as "W-n..Eagle..two digit year"...a feature which is "overstamped" by as Large "S"
    in the M95/30 conversions to 8x56R. ( Budapest accepted rifles ( for the purely Hungarian part of the A-H Army) have the Hungarian Shield Crest and "Bp" ( Budapest) and year digits.)

As to Acceptance date, it usually matches the Manufacturing date (year) but not always....given the over-run from one year to the next, and also the Possibility of a New Barrel being installed...given that in the AH ordnance system, the BARREL was "The Ordnance" ( and not the receiver)...Newly barrelled M95/30s (8x56R) sometimes have an acceptance of "34 or 37", being when a brand New Barrel was installed.

Czech-accepted M95 rifles ( 1920-24) were usually marked with a Czech Military District Marking, such as "S Lion 6 or S Lion 2", but usually have no "Acceptance Date" like Czech-accepted Mausers ( "E Lion 24").

Some good close-up, clear photos of your rifle would be a great help...Receiver, Barrel re-inforce, etc.

Doc AV

I had a 8x50 M.95 long numbered "xxxxI." and dated 1916, another fellow or two on here had the same serial and date. Note it has the period though. Mine was also Czech, it went to Olomouc.

Here's the M95 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=355000057 It looks like the S[lion]8 was stamped over the acceptance mark which may have been ground off first. Really good condition carbine and no import mark

Have you cleaned off the whatever it is that someone sprayed/painted over the entire rifle? That may be hiding a date stamp on the barrel.
    I think it is interesting that it has several S lion # stamps in the wood as well as the one on the barrel.
    Good catch with that rifle.
    Will trade a German used and marked, all matching (by the Germans), good condition, M95M with original German added French sling for a M95 sniper.
    Looking for unusual, Czech, and 1913 or earlier M95s and early Czech 98/22s (Vz 98).
    Just running along ... at a tortoise pace. I'm just too busy and too slow.
    You can view pics of my collection here.

I have a Steyr M95 stutzen (not cut down) in 8x50 with serial number 7149X. On the barrel shank it is stamped W-n-19 over S Lion 4
    which I think means that it was accepted into the Czech 4th military district in 1919. So a serial number with an I would most likely have
    been made before that, right?

Steyr M95s with X, Y, and Z letter suffixes were made in 1919 and 1920. Off the top of my head I can't remember if they were made in 1918 with those suffixes. In those two years there were no other letter suffixes used (as far as I know). In the years before 1919 the numbers started at 1A and went until 9999A and then went to 1B. This continued until the end of the year when it restarted all over again. As far as I know they never got to the X, Y, or Z suffixes at Steyr during normal production. Any guess about the date with out an acceptance stamp, is just a shot in the dark, without a X, Y, or Z suffix, which can narrow down the date to 2 years.

Curt, your M95 was accepted in Austria in 1919. As to when it went to the Czechs I do not know. You are correct about the 4th military district.

There is sometimes a 2 digit number below the Czech acceptance stamp. I have seen 18, 19, and 20. I thought they were acceptance dates. But then I saw an 18 on a 1920 dated carbine. Obviously not an acceptance date. Now I'm unsure what the numbers mean.
    Will trade a German used and marked, all matching (by the Germans), good condition, M95M with original German added French sling for a M95 sniper.
    Looking for unusual, Czech, and 1913 or earlier M95s and early Czech 98/22s (Vz 98).
    Just running along ... at a tortoise pace. I'm just too busy and too slow.
    You can view pics of my collection here.