FEG .380 (APK Mark II)- extractor issue

Thread: FEG .380 (APK Mark II)- extractor issue

Default FEG .380 (APK Mark II)- extractor issue

Hello forum members. Been a while since I posted but I recently picked up a nice companion piece for my FEG, 9x18 PA 63. It is a beautiful deeply polished and blued, Interarms imported, FEG,.380 (Model APK, Mark II). It looks exactly like a Walther PPK/S.

Looks like this gun has never been fired and actually has no mark at all on the top of the magazine follower indicating that no brass ever was fed by this magazine.

The problem so far is that while I was racking the slide (after field stripping it) the extractor assembly (extractor plunger and extractor) flew out of the gun. I luckily found all the parts, even after taking out the decock/safety lever and firing pin to check on the ball bearing at the end of the extractor spring.

I went back to the gun smith at the dealer where I bought it and we could not figure out what happened. All the parts look perfect with no burring evident at all. The only thing I could suggest to the gunsmith was that when I first bought the gun (several days ago), there was so much 30-40 year old oil in it that the magazine was actually "gooy" with it. I feel that some of the semi-dried up"tacky" oil must have "hung-up" the extractor or extractor plunger somehow and caused it to "fly" out of the slide.

My plan is to thoroughly clean all the parts, measure them (in case I have to make another assembly if this one is lost at the range or something), re-assemble it and check it out.

I did browse the forum last night and found that Numrich has an extractor spring, plunger and extractor that is listed as fitting a KASSNAR/PMK. According to other comments on this forum, Kassnar/PMK parts fit my gun. So I ordered the spring, plunger and extractor to have a spare.

Actually the extractor looks exactly like the one on my PA 63. I will look for a junk PA 63 or APK .380 at the gun shows for spare parts.

Some good news is that the magazine for my APK .380, is exactly the same as the one for my PA 63. Since I already had three extra magazines for my PA 63, I am all set on those (Walther PPK/S ones do not work).

If anyone has any other thoughts on my "flying" extractor issue, please let me know.

Thanks,

Trooper Joe

PS: Will post pictures when I put my APK backtogether.
    Last edited by Trooper Joe; 08-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.

Welcome to the forum Joe.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Default FEG/APK back together.

Well I cleaned up the slide and checked for burrs but foundnone. After several hours I got theslide back together and all seems OK. Cleaned up the rest of the gun and tested it with an A-Zoom snap cap. It fed and extractor perfectly.
    Decided to use only my spare FEG PA63 mag and save theoriginal (which appears unused).
    Will let you know how this works out at the range.
    [This thing sure is beautiful. It seems to be twice the gun that the currentS&W PPK/S is.]
    Trooper Joe
    APK extractor
    [URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/73c025b2-e755-4970-b4df-beed80930a96.jpg.html][IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/73c025b2-e755-4970-b4df-beed80930a96.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    APK (FEG) .380, Mark II
    [URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/4069b93c-b52b-4a46-956a-74c80f90f5be.jpg.html][IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/4069b93c-b52b-4a46-956a-74c80f90f5be.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    APK left side
    [URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/FEGAPK-380-MarkII.jpg.html][IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/FEGAPK-380-MarkII.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    PA 63 and APK magazines (APK is blued one with no wear)
    [URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/APKandPA63mags.jpg.html][IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/APKandPA63mags.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    [URL=http://s269.photobucket.com/user/bmwjoey/media/FEGAPK-380-MarkII-withsparemag.jpg.html][IMG]http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj42/bmwjoey/FEGAPK-380-MarkII-withsparemag.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
    Extractor assembly parts (in case I have to fabricate somemore L )

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default FEG/APK back together.

Well I cleaned up the slide and checked for burrs but found none. After several hours I got the slide back together and all seems OK. Cleaned up the rest of the gun and tested it with an A-Zoom snapcap. It fed and extractor perfectly.
    Decided to use only my spare FEG PA63 mag and save the original (which appears unused).
    Will let you know how this works out at the range.
    [This thing sure is beautiful. It seems to be twice the gun that the current S&W PPK/S is.]
    Trooper Joe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APK left side.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	689323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APK rt. side.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	689324
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails APK extraactor.jpg   APK extractor assembly parts.jpg   APK and 2 magazines.jpg   APK magazine and spare.jpg  

I have grown to like the FEG pistols but it is a little difficult to find much online discussion about them. Norm Sutton on the P64 page has some good info and has a wealth knowledge about the FEG's. Of course there is a good amount of talk on this forum about the PA-63 which is usefull on the other FEG Walther clones.

Nice looking APK. When some people compare the FEG to the Walther they say "it is twice the gun at half the price."

Feg made some fine handguns.

I have the Mak version of the FEG SMC along with the PA63, FEGPJK and the classic Femaru M37.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Default A day at the range

Well I made one more inquiry at a high end gunsmith about my extractor (before firing thegun). They felt that somehow the extractor got dislodged by someone handling the gun before I bought it. They couldn't see any reason why the extractor assembly would not stay in place during firing.

Tried the gun at the range and all is well. Seems to handle not only ball (fmj) ammo OK, but also the sometimes picky Winchester flat nose ammo.

Really pleased with this gun. I did use my extra PA 63 magazine so as not to mark up the pristine one that came with the gun.

Trooper Joe

I have this same weapon. Bought it new it 1998. Great pistol. One day after cleaning it, I was racking it as usual to check for function and same thing happened to me. Never found all the parts so had to order them.
    Had a gunsmith put it together for me and it has never been right since. Won't eject most of the time causing jams. I think something was left out. Ball bearing maybe. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlink0 View Post
    I have this same weapon. Bought it new it 1998. Great pistol. One day after cleaning it, I was racking it as usual to check for function and same thing happened to me. Never found all the parts so had to order them.
    Had a gunsmith put it together for me and it has never been right since. Won't eject most of the time causing jams. I think something was left out. Ball bearing maybe. Any suggestions?
    I did noticewhen I was putting the slide back on the frame, it was easy to let theextractor hit the back of the barrel and chamber area. This may startdislodging the extractor and then by racking the slide it simply fliesoff. I have been checking it a lot when handling it and when shootingit.

My spareextractor, spring and some type of plunger came from Numrich. Theextractor and spring seem correct but not the plunger. It looks like the partthat goes next to the safety barrel assembly (on my gun it is a ball bearing)andnot the part that pushes on the extractor. Going to continue to look forspares and continue to watch it carefully.

Trooper Joe

this how the extractor plunger fits to the extractor , the ball go on the other side of the spring ,( ball ) witch I never try and take out because I don't want to lose it , there is another way you can screw up an extractor, by dropping a round in the chamber , and letting the slid go , always feed that first round from the mag ,

NORM

TENNESSEEAN is offline Super Moderator / Diamond Bullet with oak leaves member

Good advice Norm, that goes for any semi-auto handgun. Something that most of us have known for years and take for granit that everyones knows it.
    Appalachain American

Quote Originally Posted by NORMSUTTON View Post
    this how the extractor plunger fits to the extractor , the ball go on the other side of the spring ,( ball ) witch I never try and take out because I don't want to lose it , there is another way you can screw up an extractor, by dropping a round in the chamber , and letting the slid go , always feed that first round from the mag ,

NORM
    Norm, That is exactly like my extractor assembly looked. The ball bearing only comes out of the back of the spring tunnel on my gun. I put the assembly back in by assembling the firing pin mechanism into the safety barrel and then installing the extractor, extractor plunger (I think that is what you call it)and the spring from the front. After a number of tries, I was able to do it with some wooden clothes-pin tools I made so as to not mare the blue finish. All seems well on my gun.

I am a little concerned about the posting from Shinko regarding the fact that he had the same problem.
    · Shlink0
    I have this same weapon. Bought it new it1998. Great pistol. One day after cleaning it, I was racking it as usual tocheck for function and same thing happened to me. Never found all the parts sohad to order them.
    Had a gunsmith put it together for me and it has never been right since. Won'teject most of the time causing jams. I think something was left out. Ballbearing maybe. Any suggestions?

Any thoughts on this issue. It never happened with my PA 63 which is made the same way. Again, my gun does not look damaged in anyway with no marring or burring of the parts.

Thanks for your help,

Trooper Joe

Norm we all appreciate your smithing advice. Thanks again.
    I'm always looking for rare varieties of 9x18 ammunition.

[QUOTE=NORMSUTTON;2687153]Joe
    if not
    ejecting , different part , this is theejector and slide stop , this is the reverse side

Thanks for the picture of the ejector. That all looks proper on my gun.

Presently my gun works perfect but with two of us experiencing the "flying extractor" syndrome, I just want to accumulate some thoughts on what to possibly watch out for.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe