Default Combo gun vise and shooting rest

I would like to get your opinions on a good gun vise/shooting rest combo. I'm in the market for one and figured you guys had seen them all. Are the any I should avoid and which are the best? Thanks, Joe

Wrong forum?

Bueler........Bueler....

I don't think they make one. I have a Shoot and Clean it works fine to clean rifles but it does not work well for shooting. It would be very easy to make a cleaning rest. I would say you a need some sand bags or a bench rest and a cleaning rest.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

My experience has been the gun vises make great gun vises for use in cleaning or work on the gun, but I haven't ever found one that made a good shooting ret.

A set of sandbags is what you need for shooting rest. There are any number of good combos. Of course if you want to go for big bucks there are some made for bench-rest shooting that are great, but they aren't gun vises and are only OK for that (but can be so used)
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Thanks , I appreciate the info.

I admit to idly looking at some of the combos made by MTM. More for cleaining than a true vise. And for sighting in they look pretty good. Right now I am using a tripod rest with adjustable front arm. Not as solid as bags and a bench. For a bench I use a fold up handyman vise by Stanley. Kind of primitive.
    Then it’s Tommy this, an’ Tommy that, an’ “Tommy, ‘ow’s yer soul?”
    But it’s “Thin red line of ‘eroes” when the drums begin to roll, Rudyard Kipling

So after taking in all the advice, and suggestions, I went to Bass Pro Shops today. I got Caldwell media bags for the range, and a Parallax Cleaning and Sighting Vice by Hyskore for my work bench. I must say after looking around a great deal this vice was the one for me. It's metal and nicely padded. It holds the rifle good and tight. Not bad for $79 bucks. Also very adjustable with a middle tower to help support weight. JoeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	g1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	691384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	691385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3.jpg 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	691386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	691387

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by caballero2 View Post
    So after taking in all the advice, and suggestions, I went to Bass Pro Shops today. I got Caldwell media bags for the range, and a Parallax Cleaning and Sighting Vice by Hyskore for my work bench. I must say after looking around a great deal this vice was the one for me. It's metal and nicely padded. It holds the rifle good and tight. Not bad for $79 bucks. Also very adjustable with a middle tower to help support weight. JoeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	g1.jpg 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	691384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	132.5 KB 
ID:	691385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3.jpg 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	691386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	691387
    I think you will be happier by having a vice for cleaning and repair and bags for the range.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)