Thread: 54R Ammo Can ID

Default 54R Ammo Can ID

Is this a Maxim ammo can? I picked 4 of these up a few years ago and they were full of copper washed 54r with a yellow tip on 250 round belts. I assumed they were maxim cans but haven't seen maxim cans that have the two piece top double hinged top like these do. Any help is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20130822-00103.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	692582

Maybe PKM belt can?
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."
    -Ronald Reagan,

No. 4 of 4.

I bought one of those hinged-top cans at a gun show last year. It was on the table with several similar (but SLIGHTLY newer-looking) cans, but without the double hinged lid.

It was full of belted early-1950's Yellow-tip ball. The ammunition within was of Polish manufacture, and the belt was well-used, with a few of the links having broken-off retainer tabs.

I figured 75 bucks for the can, the 250 rounds of heavy ball ammo, and the belt, wasn’t all that bad a deal. I should have bought two.

I suspected that the cans may have been leftovers from use with the Russian variant of the Maxim. Probably used with any Com Bloc MG that shoots 54R.

I bought a few of these same 2 hinged cans with belted ammo when they were prevalent in 2007. Ammo was yellow tip, copper washed steel case, head stamp 21 over 52 (Hungarian). Copes was selling these at the Knob Creek MG show at the time. They had an entire pallet of the cans and were selling them for $35 each. For that price you got the can, and a 250 rd Maxim/PKM style MG belt loaded with the heavy ball ammo).

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo008.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1796 View Post
    I bought a few of these same 2 hinged cans with belted ammo when they were prevalent in 2007. Ammo was yellow tip, copper washed steel case, head stamp 21 over 52 (Hungarian). Copes was selling these at the Knob Creek MG show at the time. They had an entire pallet of the cans and were selling them for $35 each. For that price you got the can, and a 250 rd Maxim/PKM style MG belt loaded with the heavy ball ammo).

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo008.htm
    not trying to argue but everybody is saying maxim or PKM belt, what about the SG-43? Or is there not a difference in the links?
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."
    -Ronald Reagan,

No. 4 of 4.

This type of can (empty or Factory filled) was used with all the usual suspects...Maxim M1910, SG43, SGM, PKM, etc. All of which used steel link belts of the same design...the Russians are nothing if not pragmatic.

AS the Maxims were phasing out in the 1950s (reserve use only) the 1950s ammo is probably for the SG43/SGM guns; the PKMs only came into use in the 1970s-80s.

Nice find, a factory-filled and labelled can like that. IN Europe, one finds the empty can with the belt (also empty) for very little cost...there are millions of them on sale.

Doc AV