Gunboards Forums banner

New Mossberg 46M

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  coyotejoe 
#1 ·
Got this one last week from a local shop. I like old .22's, but didn't know anything about Mossbergs until I got this and started reading.
Feedback is appreciated, I'm on a steep learning curve with these...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That is a nice rifle. I like it. :thumbsup: And I'll bet those sights are a pleasure to use. Congrats!

#4 ·
I love the full stocked look. I just picked up a Mossberg 151M-C, with virtually the same stock. For an old milsurp guy, they just look and feel right.
The condition of your rifle looks fantastic.

#5 ·
Thanks, guys, for the nice comments. It really is a gorgeous little gun for being nearly 70 years old. I got it to the range on Labor Day, and it'll run with any .22 I have. It has a fabulous trigger, and just shot the lights out with CCI SV.
Now I need the whole set, a 42M, and a 151M at least....:thumbsup:

#8 ·
You must be a youngster Frodo, Mossberg made it's name with .22 rifles long before the M-500 shotgun. Mossberg was way ahead of the curve in many respects. They were the first or at least among the first to groove receivers for scope mounting, offered rifles with their own Mossberg scope already mounted, offered the great peep sights which swung aside to allow use of open sight or scope, offered front sights with four choices of bead, blade or aperture which just rotated into place, offered open sights with click adjustments and choice of four notch types, etc.,etc. I think they were also first to use plastic trigger guards. That may not seem like something to brag on but I've seen countless old Winchester, Remington and Savage .22's with their stamped sheet metal guards either squashed or missing while old Mossbergs always seem to have their plastic guards in fine shape. Mossberg .22's were always accurate, even the smoothbore with a rifled choke attachment. It is a great shame that Mossberg doesn't produce a .22 rifle today, really a great shame, but fortunately one an still buy fine old Mossies reasonably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.