Gunboards Forums banner

Molasses - rust

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DK PHILLIPS In Memoriam 
#1 · (Edited)
Another colt basket case has been obtained ---- This one 1849 is rusty , So in looking around for different approaches I came upon Soaking the parts in MOLASSES , 1 Part Molasses - 9 parts Water ------ Watched it on YOUTUBE It appears to leave a very natural finish I have diesel soaked before but this seems better ANYONE EVER USE IT ?

#3 ·
That is exactly what I thought about water , There are at least 10 Vids from different people with the claim .
It seems to work on the process that as the Molasses furments it need oxygen , It sucks the oxygen from the rust and dessolves it Now you can KICK it up by using some added brewers yeast --- It takes like 2 - 3 weeks ,
To things that interest me about it is its natural No Chemicals and when its finished you can pour the stuff out , since its organic
You do have to coat it with WD 40 after and a rust preventor after
I have used the apple cider method on small parts and that works well Let them soak for a few hours and then rinse and a fast soak in Baking soda to finish up the neturalization

#4 ·
If the original finish is toast, get a bottle of Roach Powder(99% boric acid) from your local hardware or home improvement store. Mix a tablespoon in a cup of hot water and soak the piece for 30 minutes. Brush out the residue and oil or re-finish if desired. Soaking in molasses is total bs.

#5 ·
Kleen Strip Phosphoric Prep and Etch - remove loose rust and pray it down. Rust will convert in about 1/2 hour. Then wipe with a damp cloth and ASAP use a rust preventative grease or microcrystalline wax.

What's removing the rust with molasses is the acetic acid generated in the fermentation process. You can probably do the same with plain vinegar. Ditto the boric acid. For really dramatic rust removal use Muriatic Acid, except it etches so much the surface rusts again very fast.

The phosphoric acid in the Kleen Strip Prep and Etch has the advantage of leaving a rust resistant coating. And its pretty cheap.

#6 ·
THANKS for all the feedback --- I have had success with Diesel many times , I appreciate the input, I just hate to use the RUSH methods , with heavy chemicals I am going to give the Molasses a shot , I am not in a rush... Might be fun ! Will post pictures when I get it going Thanks

#7 ·
kerosene in a black plastic bag in hot sun....leave it and forget it .....then proceeded to 4# oooo bronze or steel wool it!
lightly rub it like rubbing oil on your favorites girls ........back!
return to kerosene bath and continue to patiently wait ....working slow deliberately will leave lots of the old finish plateenia ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.