Gunboards Forums banner

Current SKS prices

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  martin08 
#1 ·
I have a Norinco SKS I purchased brand new (still in cosmoline)in the box at a gunshow in 1992 for $94+ with no background check fee. I have since tricked it out with a polymer folding stock, scope, laser sight, flashlight, piccatenny tri-rail, extended magazine catch, bipod, leather sling, suppressor and padded nylon case. It did not include the bayonet. I have kept the original box and all original parts including thestock, sling and mini cleaning kit. It's had no more than 200 rounds fired through it and has been thoroughly cleaned after each trip to the range.

The scope is an inexpensive Firefield 10-40 x 50 mil-dot tactical rifle scope.

Recently at a gun show, I was looking for new in-the-box SKSs to kind of get an idea what prices are now but no one had new ones and the supply of old ones was very meager. In fact, I could only find one and it was pretty beat up in appearance. The dealer was asking $660 but I figured that was a gouging price because of the recent shortage of guns of all kinds. I've shown it to two gun "experts" and one said I could probably get $750 for it and the other said around $1200.

I have no interest in selling but I'd really like to know what the approximate value is. Can anyone here help?

Thanks

Len

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums.

Going tell you straight up.. 1200 :) that is not going to happen.. 750 doubtful.

Got a model number/type? Norinco flooded the US market with multiple types in the 1990s.

The rifle sounds mall ninja'd (no offense.. but thats the nickname we have for flashlights/lasered rifles).. which depletes the interest and value in most cases. Especially if its an sks. Without pictures or any model / further information rough estimate not counting the scope $250-500 .

The most valuabe sks in the US are non refurbished Russian sks's they can go up to 1g+ if its something overly rare.. like a non refurbished izhevsk and or 1949 tula. Second would be original unmodified certain chinese variants. The paratrooper model comes to mind, and the factory sks that accepts mil spec ak mags. The most they go for is 600-700$ in mint condition.

#4 · (Edited)
once you trick out an sks.. you can't expect folks to spend $$ you put into it. People will just go buy a tricked out AR for 1200 or start with a 600$ to get a quality AR.

Its just not monetarily worth it.. of course you bought it in the time that you could do it economically and have some fun.. but for future investment.. nope. Especially now that the "semiauto scare" has ended.

You wanted an honest opinion; without all the fluff- hope i helped you get a serious idea on the value on your firearm. Also did you D&T?

#7 ·
Value is in the eyes of the beholder. As a collector, I would not buy it.

But a mall ninja type might give you $750 without batting an eye. He's not a collector. He's a mall ninja, and has a different brain.
True, but from my experiance mall ninja likes to do his own type of ninjain... i remember a mall ninja tried to sell his "unfired" russian sks on the broker for 700$ starting.. not one bid.. and reposted it 5times.. i guess he didn't realize.

Len:

As everyone noted, collectors hate that tactical junk on a classic military rifle. Strip all that stuff off and sell the individual pieces. I'm sorry but it's unlikely that you'll receive anywhere what you paid retail in the mid'90s. But just wash your hands of that embarrassing memory. I bet you'll feel better.
Now put your SKS back in its original form and stick it in the box with whatever accompanied it.

The end result is a rifle worth $250 on the low side and $350 on the high. Plus the $100 plus from your junk pile.

Those with the pie in the sky price estimates did nothing but set you up for disappointment. If you want to see them squirm, tell them you'll accept 50% of their figure and wait for the crickets.
A Flawless evaluation.. Like richard says- The rifle now is worth more in its original state. If you plan on selling; return it to its original condition (assuming you didn't take a drill to it and/or any permanent alterations) and the real world value will be restored. Then sell the individual "additions" and you may come out to 500-700$ at the end of the day.

#6 · (Edited)
Len:

As everyone noted, collectors hate that tactical junk on a classic military rifle. Strip all that stuff off and sell the individual pieces. I'm sorry but it's unlikely that you'll receive anywhere near what you paid retail in the mid '90s. But just wash your hands of that embarrassing memory. I bet you'll feel better.

Now put your SKS back in its original form and stick it in the box with whatever accompanied it.

The end result is a rifle worth $250 on the low side and $350 on the high. As well as the $100-$200 from your junk pile sale.

Those with the pie in the sky price estimates did nothing but set you up for disappointment.

PS: Countless SKS rifles were "dressed-up" with this Matt Helm, secret agent crap back in the late '80s and '90s. Don't feel bad. At least you had the good sense to avoid any permanent alterations and you retained all the original bits and pieces. For that, those of us who love these old rifles are thankful.

#8 ·
i'm with martin, you'd be surprised how many will pay more if it's in a black stock and tricked out....... but 1200, nah. to answer your question, chinese sks's in good to very good condition in original configuration are in the 250 to 350 range. they have held there for awhile. if you want to sell it, put all your "mall ninja" trinkets on it, take good pics with the original parts listed and photo'd, then list it with a reserve on gunbroker. it will sell unless you ask too much. if you are only asking what it's worth, say 300 bucks not counting your add ons.

#9 ·
Still say that the mall ninja might pay big bucks. I've seen the likes of it many times over. Just last weekend at a gun show, as a matter of fact, one went for $800 in all its glory.

Not saying I like to see them. Just saying that here is a mentality which I don't understand, and it buys tricked out guns - more often than one might think.

#11 ·
$350 - $500, above that you get in to pristine, rare, non-refurb, etc.., examples, usually the Russian variety. $500 is still too much but timing can be everything. The prices you saw at the show are panic prices, they're what I call not for sale they're priced so high until the seller actually get's a lemming to pay that sticker. My opinion is that the Chinese, then Yugo, then Russian is the progression in prices (non-tacticooled examples), then you can get in the rarer Albanians and Romanians.

#12 ·
I would not have "tricked" the rifle out, but to each his own. At least you didn't chop the barrel or drill and tap it, and you kept all the original parts, that's a big plus! You can always turn it back to original and look to get around $450 max in the right market today.

#17 ·
Guys -- Thanks very much for your honesty. It was exactly what I was looking for. These days, the truth is kinda hard to come by and it looks like I got a consensus here. I was laughing so hard after reading your comments that I went in my bedroom to get into my grubby shorts for some yard work and when I went outside I found I was wearing my dress shoes and black socks with my shorts. I'm still laughing at myself.

Actually right after I bought the gun, I took it to the range and fired it with open sights at 100-yard targets and found it surprisingly accurate which pleased me. It's a pretty good shooter and that's what I bought it for.

After I put all the junk on it, it got to be so heavy that it can't be comfortably fired from the shoulder except by a really strong young guy. The beauty is that I bought most of the junk in the early 90s when prices were about half what they are now. The stock was $54 and the first scope was a $40 Barska which never would hold zero. The Bipod was $19 and the rest of the stuff probably adds up to another $50 not including the two each 10-round, 20-round and 30-round magazines. The Firefield scope seems to be pretty good but I haven't been to the range with it. Based on your comments, I think I might be able to break even on what I've got in it.

Since I really enjoyed shooting it before I junked it out, I think I'll get rid of all the junk, throw good money after bad and put a sport stock on it then just shoot it. If, and when I get ready to sell it, I'll put the junk back on and try to find a Mall Ninja who'll think he's got a real bargain at $500.

Sadly, I tapped the receiver cover for the scope mount so I destroyed any collector value it might have.

You guys have been brutally honest and that's what I wanted. I really, really appreciate the input. Thanks much!!!

Len

#19 ·
Saxpore -- Yeah, and I never really looked at it as an investment or as a collector's item. With the market being flooded, I failed to see any real collector's value but then, I wasn't even thinking about that. It's amazing how much brighter you get when you get older but it's too late then to fix stupidity. I came here for input because I figured you guys, as collectors, would be honest and I got what i came for. Thanks again.

Len

#20 ·
Len:

I want to thank you for taking the advice in the same good-natured manner in which it was extended. I hope you do well when you sell your rifle. As Martin noted, there are a lot of shooters who will pay well for SKS rifles with all the tactical gear attached.

And don't feel too bad about the drilled and tapped cover. Some of the SKS rifles imported from China back in the '80s were surplus Chicom military rifles. But many were manufactured for the US commercial market and your Norinco marked example is probably one of them. These are nice rifles, but they are not as desirable as military issued examples. At least to most collectors of military arms. It's not the end of the world.

Good luck and take care! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.